Subject: Designer diary 2: Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Cities: Skylines board game designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice are obviously important in a dice game...

Most often in dice games there is a small set of identical dice (often around 5). This limits what you can use them for in many ways. The most common system is that one player rolls dice at a time, taking a long turn, and status needs to be kept track of with some other means.

I wanted this game to be closely related to the big game, and that meant small actions. A single buy, a reroll, something small. I wanted the dice to be a central element and driver of interaction. I wanted players to care about what the other players had rolled, not just wait for their turn and then do what they wanted in full control.

To the dismay of the publisher, this meant lots of dice. But once that mental step was taken it also meant a lot more freedom to do interesting things with the dice.

During all development the dice have represented resources somehow, replacing the production phase at the end of the round with rolling the dice at the start and during the round. Exactly how has varied wildly, and I have glued more small pieces of paper to dice during this project than I'd like to think about.

The game now has 44 dice in 4 different types. Fewer dice and fewer types would have made it easier and cheaper. But it is now as slimmed as I could make it while still retaining the critical parts of the game, and cutting down to this definitely improved the game.

Designer diary index
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

If you guys print this game any chance

1. Much thicker card board player mats if mats are necessary for this game ...I was a little disappointed in the thickness of the player mats in the big game ...

2. And engraved dice please ...please not dice with stickers or printed wooden ones it just cheapens the game ...and I would be happy to pay a little extra ...

Just my little requests if any one is interested in feed back ...but I know no matter how good the game is I will not buy if the dice have to have stickers put on ...just my thing ...

I just got a copy of game called Island Seige ( not cheap btw) with black plastic dice ...the stickers were too small, miss cut off centre and with a white background bleed they looked terrible ...fortunately I got four blank white dice which were the right size for the labels but shame they did not get engraved dice with the game and wasted the money on gimmicky metals coins for the game instead ...

But the original dice with the game almost put me off ever playing it ...

Happy gaming

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Cities: Skylines board game designed by me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice will be engraved. I really dislike stickers as well, but it is by far the easiest option during development.

Regarding board thickness I do not know any details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenrick is right . The player mats from Nations looks really cheap !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
Dice will be engraved. I really dislike stickers as well, but it is by far the easiest option during development.

Regarding board thickness I do not know any details.

That's great news about the dice ...it's the most important thing to me especially as it's central to the game play being a dice game and all that lol...

Thx for posting this info ...

Happy testing and please keep diaries coming very interesting reading ...

Kenrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very exited, because I love Nations and love dice as well. If I could suggest something at this stage of development, I'd say:
- please add thicker player boards if any, because this is the weakest part of Nations components
- dice quality is very important; there are many games that I didn't buy only because of components (I really dislike wooden dice); big solid plastic dice feels so good

Here are few words about dice @ 17:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDVmWecnvo

I can't wait for more information regarding game mechanic. My personal request is - please don't make it too simple Many dice game oversimplify games to the point of boring rollfest. There is so much potential in dice game, use it well!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

Nothing nicer than knowing that one is not the only person who hates cheap nasty sticker and wooden dice and that the player mate in nations main game were the weakest part of the game ...I really don't understand how such an important part of the game is made of such flimsy, thin card ??

Happy gaming

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and....we cant forget that Nations is not a cheap game ! Its pricey for the components it brings ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 44 custom dice, it doesn't sound like this one is going to be cheap neither. I'm hoping for a ~$30-35 MSRP for this one, based on other custom dice games in the market... But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there are only 4 types of dice. Take Quarriors! for example with lots of different custom dice. Nations should be cheaper, but even if it won't be, I'd buy it anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the whole point: Nations is a really expensive game, relative to the amount and quality of its components. Hopefully this will not be the case with the dice game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to chime in and say that I played Nations for the first time yesterday, and the player mats did not bother me in the slightest. Then again, it was someone else's copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I like that type of thickness in the player mat and how they on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls