Subject: Help for Grasp the Meaning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I do not play this game in my language. Can read the meaning of the phrases and the most words do not know is covered by the dictionaries. This is allowing me to learn new words or expressions.

But there are some words not found, and so I ask for your help.

What does it mean: Timestakingly (Other Words card. 12 Fail Effect)
(Context:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You walk, lost, through Carcosa's darkest alleyways and consider timestakingly retracing your steps.
)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"with great patience and care" - It's an unusual word to say the least. And is used the same as "painstakingly" (and so might be a typo as well). I believe they mean "taking your time" as opposed to "taking great pains" (which is what painstakingly means)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's probably interchangeable with painstakingly. A simpler rephrasing would be "very carefully" or "extremely carefully."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something said to be timestaking, or referred to as timestakingly, would be an endeavor which would take very much time to complete. Usually used to refer to something one would find less than pleasant or at the very least, tedious. In reference to the context of the quoted example, the act of retracing ones step would be one that would consume much time and would not be the preferred choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the answers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel badly, Shooock.

I am a native English speaker with a powerful vocabulary, a voracious reader, and minored in English Literature at the university.

I have never before encountered the word "timestakingly".

My belief is that whoever wrote that flavor-text may have invented the word.

I'll go google it now.

(Edit: I am mistaken, "timestakingly" does show up quite a few times online, and the earliest instance of it seems to be 1982. It does not yet appear in the huge Merriam-Webster online dictionary.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
the earliest instance of it seems to be 1982

Awwww I hate anachronisms. I changed Mandy Thompson's character cards in Mansions of Madness because they referred to her as a "workaholic." Workahol hadn't even been invented by the 1920s. And if it had, it would have been illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.