Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: storage [+] [View All]
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get some of the new Kallax shelves to build a game wall in my new game room.

I was originally looking to put 3 4x4's next to each other and stack 3 2x4's on top (placed horizontally on top). The problem with this is that the shelves are designed for the 2x4's to be placed vertically.

By placing them horizontally, all of the weight on each shelf is supported by the wood pegs.

One solution I came up with is 6 2x4's positioned vertically with 6 2x2's stacked on top. This would still allow the 12x6 total arrangement and have each piece positioned correctly for maximum shelf strength.

My concerns are that the collection 2x4's and 2x2's won't be as sturdy/stable as the 4x4's and 2x4's, that they may be harder to line up flush with the adjacent shelves, and that it may not look as nice.

So, my questions are:

1) If the 2x4's are positioned horizontally, do you think the the pegs can adequately support the weight of the games? And, do you personally have (or know someone who has) this configuration already?

2) Do you think that the 2x4's and 2x2's is an acceptable setup? Any opinions about the two choices?

Thanks for you input.

Here is a diagram of the two configurations discussed:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own an Expedit or the new Kallax, but I don't think I would go with your second configuration unless you got a shelf bracket supporting it. Although games aren't that heavy, I personally don't think it would take to much weight to collapse one of the shelves that's supported only by the pegs. A few drywall screws and a shelf bracket or two would eliminate that concern though. I could be way off base on this though and it could work fine, I don't know if I would want to push my luck though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had heard that putting Expedit shelves sideways was the source of many collapses. But of course, now you're dealing with, at best, a third-hand experience. I wouldn't do it, though.

How flat are the floors where you live? I'm not sure either of your solutions would work at my apartment; getting the tops of the shelves perfectly level would be too much of a trial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you were going with expedit, I would be somewhat afraid of the outer 'wood' collapsing in configuration #2. If you're not familiar with ikea, quite a bit of their large solid pieces end-up being hollow with large corrugated cardboard between it. It works, but I wouldn't trust it any further than I could throw it.

It's my understanding that the outside shell of the shelves on the kallax is going to be solid, which I think configuration #2 would work. Though, for symmetry I would go with the first configuration.

For ultimate sturdiness, go with the bottom shelves as designed in the first configuration, but for the upper shelves go with 3 2x4s like you have in the 2nd setup. That should keep lateral movement (the bain of expedits) to a minimum with some weight on top.

Really though, you're storing boardgames on it... so I would do whatever saves money.

The kallax shelves are indeed hollow. I would rock the 4x2s with 2x2s on the top if I were concerned, but I still think the other setup would work too.

If you were storing something heavy, I would be worried... but unless you're storing 120 copies of Agricola, you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I thought I had heard that putting Expedit shelves sideways was the source of many collapses.

They were 4x4 5x5 (incorrectly built, the frame was correct, the insides were rotated) with very heavy LP collections in them.

I don't think you'll have any problem with any game collection. Surely three game boxes do not weigh more than 13kg? And if you have three boxes full of cardboard and metal, put them on the 'bottom' shelves. (You can also use wood glue when putting the bookcase together.)

Here's my setup for spill-over games. There's still room to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, with the 2nd configuration, it is really only the top set of squares that would be supported by a lower edge supported only by the pegs. The lower 4x4s would be correctly oriented. I can easily make sure that only lighter game boxes are stored on the top row.

I have seen a few pics here on BGG of folks who have stacked their Expedits, so I'm hoping to get some input from some of them.

grasa_total wrote:
I thought I had heard that putting Expedit shelves sideways was the source of many collapses.

Google "Expedit collapse" and look at the images in the results. They are all 5x5 units fully loaded with record LPs and rotated 90 degrees. And, in those cases, the individual shelves held up only by pegs did not give way, instead the less stable unit was able to lean to the side and collapse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a 4x4 and 2x4 Kallax. I would not be afraid to stack the 2x4 on top. I currently do not need to do this, but they are solid.

I have seen the pictures, but those were stacked with records and were a 4x4. A 2x4 with games would be totally fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the "total collapse" scenario. It is mainly the single shelf piece held in place by wooden pegs giving out due to weight. I wouldn't think that a full section of board games would weigh enough to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the "total collapse" scenario. It is mainly the single shelf piece held in place by wooden pegs giving out due to weight. I wouldn't think that a full section of board games would weigh enough to be a problem.
it's not held in place just by pegs. One end is, the wood board itself though runs the whole length of the unit laterally, distributing the weight better that just pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:
it's not held in place just by pegs. One end is, the wood board itself though runs the whole length of the unit laterally, distributing the weight better that just pegs.

Not when the shelf is rotated 90 degrees, as far as I am aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Juju114 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:

why would it be rotated? I must be missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Proost
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Past week I built

2 x 4by4
4 x 2by4
2 x 2by2

I built 2 walls with set-up

2by4 + 2by2
4by2 + 4by4

As you can see in this configuration I used the 2by4 both horizontally as vertically.
When building the 2by4's I noticed they use the double amount of wooden pegs compared to the 4by4's for the shorter boards.
These extra pegs are put in to increase the strength so they can be used in both horizontal as vertical direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Juju114 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:

why would it be rotated? I must be missing something.

Chris,

Look at the drawing in my original post. The top configuration uses 2x4's positioned vertically, while the bottom configuration uses 2x4's positioned horizontally.

They are constructed for vertical placement with 3 boards running left/right and smaller boards placed in-between to (1) divide the space in two and (2) provide support under the middle of the shelf bottoms. In this arrangement, the shelf bottom is held in place by the pegs on either end and the vertical support in the middle provided by the smaller board.

Rotating it 90 degrees to lay horizontal means the "long" boards are now up/down and the small dividers are now the shelf bottoms, supported only the pegs on the ends with no support underneath.

Here is a different diagram to show what I just described:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berremon wrote:
Past week I built

2 x 4by4
4 x 2by4
2 x 2by2

I built 2 walls with set-up

2by4 + 2by2
4by2 + 4by4

As you can see in this configuration I used the 2by4 both horizontally as vertically.
When building the 2by4's I noticed they use the double amount of wooden pegs compared to the 4by4's for the shorter boards.
These extra pegs are put in to increase the strength so they can be used in both horizontal as vertical direction.

Great observation! That shows they were definitely thinking about this very issue.

Were these Expedits or Kallax? If Expedits, I hope they think to continue that idea into the Kallax model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently using a 4x4 Expedit with a 2x4 Expedit placed horizontally on top of it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. The top unit is full of mostly Euros, no particularly heavy boxes full of cards or miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you are saying about pegs supporting the load on both sides in the horizontal position but board games would be a non issue. It would have to be a heavy load shear those pegs and board games are no where near heavy enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Proost
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:

Great observation! That shows they were definitely thinking about this very issue.

Were these Expedits or Kallax? If Expedits, I hope they think to continue that idea into the Kallax model.

When we heard about Ikeas plan to discontinue Expedit we made a quick trip there to get the Expedit line, before it became Kallax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macrawn wrote:
I know what you are saying about pegs supporting the load on both sides in the horizontal position but board games would be a non issue. It would have to be a heavy load shear those pegs and board games are no where near heavy enough.
Yes, I'd certainly agree with this, especially the top shelf where it's the biggest theoretical risk. Who keeps their limited edition solid lead copy of Ogre above head height?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I thought I had heard that putting Expedit shelves sideways was the source of many collapses. But of course, now you're dealing with, at best, a third-hand experience. I wouldn't do it, though.

How flat are the floors where you live? I'm not sure either of your solutions would work at my apartment; getting the tops of the shelves perfectly level would be too much of a trial.
Yeah, the photos with vinyls where they had collapsed that I saw had them put up with the wrong side down so to speak.

As for the pegs I assume they can take the weight of the games (they are pretty big) but I guess it's best to avoid it.

I seriously doubt you'd had a problem with the 2x4 in the wrong orientation above the 4x4 but what do I know.

aliquis wrote:
I wonder what they would think if you got out with 18 of the 2x2s =P

.. I saw that you where already thinking about how flush it would sit. And yeah, that may be a problem with such a setup (guess if one get the fasteners for a wall and some kind of board to set behind them all that could be sorted out.

Anyways:

Q. 1) If the 2x4's are positioned horizontally, do you think the the pegs can adequately support the weight of the games? And, do you personally have (or know someone who has) this configuration already?
A. 1) My sister have the 4x2 for her son in what supposedly is the wrong orientation then. It holds toys rather than games and maybe they don't weight enough to be an issue but I assume it would be fine. There would still be vertical boards which the pegs would press against and those in return is fixed with pegs into the top and bottom. Unless you store your "brass and steam" collection on the same shelve ..
I assume it would work. I also assume it sorta work for some of those vinyl heads for some time? =P.

Q. 2) Do you think that the 2x4's and 2x2's is an acceptable setup? Any opinions about the two choices?
A. 2) I guess like you say that the first one will look the nicest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Expedit does support the weight when turned sideways, but you should be very careful not overloading it, as it might collapse. You can see it bending quite a bit.

I hope this helps your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.