Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Gorzek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read mixed reviews and would like your opinion on repeated plays, 5 or more. One comment was that an expansion was needed for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has an interesting puzzle aspect that is good for at least several plays. I've played six times and haven't gotten tired of it yet. There is a fair bit of variation in the card order, a couple of the cards from each deck not being in any given game and reaction to the moves of other players.

With expansion cards, the game would become more tactical as you would be less certain about what cards are coming in any given round. You'd be forced to adapt to what you see on the fly. As it is, the game is more strategic than tactical given its limited cards. You can anticipate what is coming to a greater degree. Not saying either is better or worse, just pointing it out for you to make your own judgement.

If anything seems likely to get samey for me, its the theme, card art and presentation. Very, very dry, which sometimes reduces a game's longevity for me.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has amazing replay value. The cards come up in different orders, which really matters for the techniques. There are multiple paths to victory, so you will be doing different things each game. The game also feels different with different player counts, which adds replayablity if you don't always play with the exact same group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cooper
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
you can also mix the A and B decks to try and make it more difficult, and/or mix other cards from other rounds into the C deck, .. however i would like to see an expansion deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that it has great replayability. I've played it over 10 times I believe. Aside from what the others above me have said, what I really like about it is the player interaction. Everyone is battling for the same cards and especially with higher player count, that dispute can be quite the challenge. Timing is crucial in this game and the more your group familiarizes itself with the cards available, and what is to come, the more heated and intense it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the game getting a little stale after a while. I'm over a dozen plays into it and it hasn't happened yet, though. I definitely don't feel that I've mastered the game, which is a positive sign for replayability.

One thing that keeps it fresh is that it feels very different with various player counts. A 2-player game has notably different dynamics than a 4-player game.

After playing a while longer, it would be nice to have an expansion to get different cards into the mix. In particular, the final round of the game is ALWAYS the same 9 cards. The only thing that differs is their location relative to each other. Granted, the positioning does have an impact on the tactics, but it would be nice to maybe see some different cards on that final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see at least a small expansion that replaces the cards "nobody buys". In my 18 or so plays only two times did anyone buy cards that produce a Spyrium for a worker (the least efficient mine) and only once did anyone buy many of the cards that produce VPs out of workers only. Maybe it's a multiple group thing (I play with various people), but these cards are always considered less attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
In my 18 or so plays only two times did anyone buy cards that produce a Spyrium for a worker (the least efficient mine)

Since most players ignore this mine, I'll usually snag it if I can get it for 2 or 3 pounds. If I end up grabbing the Automation tech later, this mine more than repays its cost. But yeah, you're right that it doesn't get a lot of love in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
BartP wrote:
In my 18 or so plays only two times did anyone buy cards that produce a Spyrium for a worker (the least efficient mine)

Since most players ignore this mine, I'll usually snag it if I can get it for 2 or 3 pounds. If I end up grabbing the Automation tech later, this mine more than repays its cost. But yeah, you're right that it doesn't get a lot of love in general.

And if you replace it with a better mine later on you don't lose much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all true, yet the fact remains ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2£ mine is really not that bad.
First, as for all games with a high interaction, its real value depends on its perceived value by the other players. As you say, most of the time it will be available at no further cost, whereas the 5£ one will likely cost a bit more.
Then, it is a efficient as the 5£ mine on a worker to spyrium ratio. Both of them give you 1 more Spyrium if you use one worker. The "only" interest of the 5£ mine is that you will get one Spyrium for free.
Finally, there are some opportunities to make it very profitable. Automation is one, overbuilding is another. And with higher player counts, this may well be a very good and safe option.
All in all, I feel like it's a good, interesting card in 4p or 5p - the only configurations where this game is worth playing.

Regarding the universities, the 2£ one is an incredibly good building.
It helps reaching the 8VP bonus quickly, gives tempo options and is perfect for an overbuild with a lab factories - which are just excellent when you don't have much spyrium available.
The 5£ one is more questionable but has its interest in case you have many workers and very few spyrium. All those workers could cause a tempo issue and being able to keep 1-2 of them at home while making VPs can be very good. Ideally, you would overbuild it on turn 6 after usage by a VP building.

I can guarantee you that those buildings can be very interesting if used properly. A skilled player will know when to grab such opportunity.
But again, I feel like they really shine only in higher player counts, that is 4p or 5p. In 2p or 3p, yes, they are not very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
4p or 5p - the only configurations where this game is worth playing.

Blasphemy! (though the rest of your post was spot-on)

I found the 2 and 3 player games to be quite enjoyable. They do have a different tempo, with various cards being more or less useful than they are in games with higher numbers of players. But that's part of what gives Spyrium its replayability in my opinion -- the fact that it plays differently with various player counts. Strategies and tactics that work well with 5 players will not necessarily work well with 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that someone would react!
Yes, the game plays very differently with 2-3p. And it plays in a way that I don't like at all.

What I enjoy in Spyrium is the tension on the tempo. The risk of having the card you need being bought by another player, the risk of ending with useless meeples on the board... And you really get this only with 4 or 5p.
2 and 3p have other interests, which are clearly not mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
I would like to see at least a small expansion that replaces the cards "nobody buys". In my 18 or so plays only two times did anyone buy cards that produce a Spyrium for a worker (the least efficient mine) and only once did anyone buy many of the cards that produce VPs out of workers only. Maybe it's a multiple group thing (I play with various people), but these cards are always considered less attractive.

I actually do build quite often the £2 buildings, even the mine. Considering that they give you a -£3 reduction when you're upgrading them, you're essentially saving £1 when you'll build something else over it; any maybe you'll have gotten to use the original building once, until then.

That said, they're of course useless if you plan to keep them. You have to upgrade them, sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.