Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so I've just about finished my PNP copy of Tiny Epic Kingdoms complete with box. I'd love to have a rulebook sized to fit in the box (roughly a 4.5" x 6.5" box) along with all the components as opposed to the full letter sized rulebook that came with the PNP files.

Can someone help me out? I checked out the pocket mod link in the sticky but I'm on a mac and its PC for one, and for another it does 8 pages, the TEK rulebook is 12.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Not sure how much effort you want to put into it, but to make a slick little booklet, do something along the lines of the following for a layout:

Twelve pages (or any multiple of 4)is pretty good, cuz then it's three (or whatever) actual pieces of paper folded and stapled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kSwingrUber - Thanks for the response!

So do you manually rearrange the pages and print them? Or is there a software option?

Was hoping there might be a software option to rearrange the pages in the PDF to an appropriate size and layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
kSwingrUber - Thanks for the response!

So do you manually rearrange the pages and print them? Or is there a software option?

Was hoping there might be a software option to rearrange the pages in the PDF to an appropriate size and layout.

It's pretty much manual grunt-work the way I do it... I use OpenOffice (dunno if that's available for Mac), and you can set up the "frames" in any position, and text automatically flows to the next frame in sequence, even if they're scattered about "randomly" on various physical pages.

I never bother trying to mess with PDF files, cuz they really suck except for the universal viewer. There are those that mention various PDF editor thingys, but...

On the other hand, now that I think of it, there is a "booklet" printout option in the PDF viewer... you might be able to get something acceptable using that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do that in "The Gimp", I create a new A4 300dpi image, I put vertical and horizontal guides at 50%, then I "File/Open as new layers" the PDF file and put the different pages where you want them.

When you open a PDF with The Gimp, you can choose the resolution (or the pixel size) so you won't have to resize it later, just open it at 150dpi if you want it to be half size...

edit : If you need I can try to make a quick video tutorial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
I do that in "The Gimp", I create a new A4 300dpi image, I put vertical and horizontal guides at 50%, then I "File/Open as new layers" the PDF file and put the different pages where you want them.

When you open a PDF with The Gimp, you can choose the resolution (or the pixel size) so you won't have to resize it later, just open it at 150dpi if you want it to be half size...

Ok, I'm kinda following you. I was able to get as far as getting the guidelines set up and importing the pages, but maybe its late or I'm just an idiot but I can't figure out the sequence to put the pages in in order to be able to fold up the booklet.

I kinda figured it would go something like this:

Page 12 | Page 1 Page 10 | Page 3
_________|_________ ________|________
Page 11 | Page 2 Page 9 | Page 4
| |

Page 8 | Page 6
________|_________
Page 7 | Page 5

But then I can't figure out how the pages paste together and fold up.

** Edit **
I think I may have got it, just needed to see it planned out, going to try and print it out tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
courtjus wrote:

Ok, I'm kinda following you. I was able to get as far as getting the guidelines set up and importing the pages, but maybe its late or I'm just an idiot but I can't figure out the sequence to put the pages in in order to be able to fold up the booklet.

I kinda figured it would go something like this:

Page 12 | Page 1 Page 10 | Page 3
_________|_________ ________|________
Page 11 | Page 2 Page 9 | Page 4
| |

Page 8 | Page 6
________|_________
Page 7 | Page 5

But then I can't figure out how the pages paste together and fold up.

** Edit **
I think I may have got it, just needed to see it planned out, going to try and print it out tomorrow.

Top lot looks right, but the bottom one should be
Page 8 | Page 5
_______|_______
Page 7 | Page 6

Make sure your bottom two pages are upside down if you're doing it in this order, then fold the ___ crease first, then the | crease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S.
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about the multi-page and booklet option and settings in your print options or in MS Word page setup, etc. You don't get a lot of control over a very specific size, but you can usually get it pretty close with experimentation. The nice thing is you can also have it do the hard work of figuring out what page goes where to get the page sequence right.

I've only used print settings and no longer have Word, but I did find this tutorial if you have Word that should do what you want.

Here's an example of creating a booklet when printing to PDF on my setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sumbloke wrote:

Top lot looks right, but the bottom one should be
Page 8 | Page 5
_______|_______
Page 7 | Page 6

Make sure your bottom two pages are upside down if you're doing it in this order, then fold the ___ crease first, then the | crease.

Yeah, I kinda figured that out after I printed a copy. But in the end I figured out how to get it done and glued, folded, and stapled together and in the box ready to go! Now if I could only find a quick cheap way to get the bits.....

Checked out meeple source but it would run me like $30-40 for the wood meeples and bits...

Probably going to just steal the meeps from Carcassone until my Kickstarter copy arrives, not sure about the other bits.

Thanks everyone !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.