United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this series the same as Anno Domini ?

If not, how is it different??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Tom Vasel describes this game accurately in his video review, which I'm sure he does, this is not identical to Anno Domini, but a vastly inferior rip-off of it.

The difference is that in A.D. you place your card where you think it fits and if nobody challenges you on it the correct dates of the whole row of cards remain hidden.

Instead of adding one of your cards to the row you can alternatively opt to challenge the last player.
A challenge is successful if there is ANY mistake in the time sequence (not just the last card played), and it fails if everything was correct.
The loser of a challenge is punished with extra cards, which is bad, since your objective is to get rid of them.

The one thing this poor relative has going for it are its pretty graphics (A.D. alas has none at all), and you could actually play A.D. with Timeline cards.

But even then A.D. runs rings around it, because it has so many more cards, I believe over 300 per package, and there must be dozens of theme decks by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopath wrote:

The one thing this poor relative has going for it are its pretty graphics (A.D. alas has none at all), and you could actually play A.D. with Timeline cards.

But even then A.D. runs rings around it, because it has so many more cards, I believe over 300 per package, and there must be dozens of theme decks by now.

I haven't played Timeline, and i don't intend to, but why would the "pretty graphics" be something that timeline has going for it? Obviously, they didn't even understand Anno Domini at all. AD is a bluffing game. Place your cards and look like you know what you are doing, while in fact you have no idea where a card belongs. At worst, "pretty graphics" give hints about the time of the topic in question - removing large parts of the bluffing aspect.

Also, most of the cards in AD are events that are not well known. You need to try to make connections to better known events, and it's hilarious if you still miss the date by a few hundred years. Ad is FUN. Timeline is more like a history test, because it asks for the date of big events and it removes the whole "story-aspect" of the cards.

As you wrote: AD runs rings around it - in part BECAUSE it doesn't give hints through "pretty pictures", and because a lot more thought went into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.