Subject: bigger board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I like Le Havre, but I think I finally put my finger on one thing that bugs me - it's so cramped! Another way of looking at it is that it's a nice example of efficient design. whistle

But anyway, does anyone think if you made the board a bit bigger, like 50-100% larger - letting the spaces breathe bit - that it would be a positive thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my plays are two-player with an occasional three-player game here and there and I only put out so many of the tokens. I leave some off to the side in case we do need anymore but usually we don't. Putting out all the tokens does result in a cramped board in my opinion as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Those little screw-together, plastic bead organizers are great too. Either way, it helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yeah I have played with dishes on the board for the resources. To me that makes it seem even more crowded. It just feels like it needs to BREATHE a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Pena
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using these containers I found on the craft's store and they help quite a bit:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1972779/le-havre?size=large

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to PROMISE not to tell ANYONE....but we use the plastic cups from the El Pollo Loco salsa bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I definitely like the clear ones better.

I have the urge to take another well known game and shrink the board down, cutting out every square cm of "wasted" space to prove my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Snakes et Lattes
Canada
flag msg tools
Proudly Alphabetical since 1989!
badge
The Wish Swing from Nuit Blanche 2007
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Yeah I have played with dishes on the board for the resources. To me that makes it seem even more crowded. It just feels like it needs to BREATHE a bit.

Only the cattle need to breathe. Everything else is fine.

I find a little bit of careful stacking at the beginning gives enough space to move the counters around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Smallwood
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We use one of the small, sectioned plastic containers and don't bother putting it on the the board when we play. We just have a 'banker' pass them out when needed. It's small enough to store in the game box and keeps the pieces organized.

That gives us room to move the un-built buildings all the way onto the game board. It saves time in setup and cleanup as well as making things much neater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the design is mindful of people who have a small play area. I use cheap, small plastic containers which makes the size fine for us. I can imagine that piling the tokens on the spaces would lead to a mess. The game does expand in size in any event due to all the cards that go down so the footprint can be quite large. I feel a larger board would make it even more unmanageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's hilarious how every Le Havre thread always (eventually) boils down to a discussion of chit containers.

Oh, and I use the silicon muffin cups myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play without the boards and have all the room I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:

I think someone may have cheated been economical with the rules in that game Either that or I'm a terrible player, which is more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
ChillusMaximus wrote:

Boards? Where we're going we don't need boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:

That looks like a mess to read and I'm impressed that you managed to build every building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
That looks like a mess to read and I'm impressed that you managed to build every building.

It looks to me that there are 7 buildings with no marker on them, which I would guess means that they weren't built or purchased. This seems like a good way to play once one has played the game a few times....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, if you're familiar with the game, it's pretty easy to see what's going on. Having everyone's buildings in the center like that actually makes a whole lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

It looks to me that there are 7 buildings with no marker on them, which I would guess means that they weren't built or purchased. This seems like a good way to play once one has played the game a few times....

Except you are supposed to stack the building cards at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Except you are supposed to stack the building cards at the beginning of the game.

Here is the game in the begining. Notice the initial building offering on the other side of the table.

It may not be beautiful, but we play the game so much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.