Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this possible? Enjoyable? Looking to get this exclusively for solo.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Fisher
Australia
flag msg tools
Good question, I would like to know too. Realistically, I'm going to be a solitaire only player as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Sure it is possible. There are three solitaire scenarios in the base game. The expansion has two more pure solitaire scenarios and then a bunch of co-op scenarios where you can play a couple of empires against the AI.

Creating more is definitely possible. You have the AI tree already and that is the hard part, but there are endless combinations of board set ups and sizes that could be experimented with to create new scenarios. Two in particular I have thought about are:

- One where the player is in the center of the board and there are two empires on opposite sides of him (or surrounded by three).

- One where the player is going up against just one other empire, but that empire gets more points. The idea behind this one is to have less AI book keeping in a hard scenario.

A twist on that one would be that that empire would have a few extra planets so that its economy could be worn down a little. In the standard Alien Empire scenarios, the economy of the AI can be worn down by knocking out one of the empires. Going up against one powerful empire, I think I would like the possibility of attacking the economy.

I have not done these because testing takes awhile and the current playtesters have their hands full with the Replicators. However, it would not take me long to put something down on paper. I'll see if I can do that within the next week or so and put it out there in case someone wants to fiddle with it.

Of course, truly unique scenarios are also possible. There are already scenarios on Doomsday Machines, Space Amoebas, and Alien Empires. You KNOW I have thought about one with Replicators.

If anyone else has ideas on unique scenarios, please post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Sure it is possible. There are three solitaire scenarios in the base game. The expansion has two more pure solitaire scenarios and then a bunch of co-op scenarios where you can play a couple of empires against the AI.

Creating more is definitely possible. You have the AI tree already and that is the hard part, but there are endless combinations of board set ups and sizes that could be experimented with to create new scenarios. Two in particular I have thought about are:

- One where the player is in the center of the board and there are two empires on opposite sides of him (or surrounded by three).

- One where the player is going up against just one other empire, but that empire gets more points. The idea behind this one is to have less AI book keeping in a hard scenario.

A twist on that one would be that that empire would have a few extra planets so that its economy could be worn down a little. In the standard Alien Empire scenarios, the economy of the AI can be worn down by knocking out one of the empires. Going up against one powerful empire, I think I would like the possibility of attacking the economy.

I have not done these because testing takes awhile and the current playtesters have their hands full with the Replicators. However, it would not take me long to put something down on paper. I'll see if I can do that within the next week or so and put it out there in case someone wants to fiddle with it.

Of course, truly unique scenarios are also possible. There are already scenarios on Doomsday Machines, Space Amoebas, and Alien Empires. You KNOW I have thought about one with Replicators.

If anyone else has ideas on unique scenarios, please post them.

Wow, awesome! Thank you for the info Jim!

I apologize if this has already been answered - but are you guys working on another expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Yep. It has already made the cut:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-468-space-empires-replicators.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:

Awesome! Pre-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.