Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to their website, "Doomtown: Reloaded puts you in charge of one of the four main outfits vying for control of Gomorra: The Law Dogs, the Sloane Gang, the Morgan Cattle Company, and the Fourth Ring." None of which seem geared toward mad science.

Given the current popularity of steampunk, I'm surprised at the lack of a mad science outfit (like the Collegium). It seems like they might be missing an opportunity. I would certainly have an easier time getting my girlfriend interested if there were mad scientists and gadgets.

Has anyone heard anything about how or when mad science and gadgets might be reappearing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Morgan Cattle Company has a reputation for unusual, even new-fangled, methods of ranching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From today's designer diary about Grifters (emphasis added):
Quote:
This means that you can set up tactical elements before the game even begins, simply by choosing your dudes correctly. If you’re running Gadgets, then you’ll want to start with 1 or 2 Mad Scientists. Same with Hexes and Hucksters. Have a lot of horses in your deck? Then start with dudes like Lane Healey to take advantage of any that come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
According to their website, "Doomtown: Reloaded puts you in charge of one of the four main outfits vying for control of Gomorra: The Law Dogs, the Sloane Gang, the Morgan Cattle Company, and the Fourth Ring." None of which seem geared toward mad science.

Given the current popularity of steampunk, I'm surprised at the lack of a mad science outfit (like the Collegium). It seems like they might be missing an opportunity. I would certainly have an easier time getting my girlfriend interested if there were mad scientists and gadgets.

Has anyone heard anything about how or when mad science and gadgets might be reappearing?

Like the others above me said... why would you think there won't be mad scientists? It's not just a popular trope (steampunk), its a core feature of the world in which Doomtown is set. I am 99% sure there will be some gadgets and mad scientists in the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out that there will be some Mad Scientists and gadgets.

It's more difficult for new players to get into a game if they have to start by building a deck. My assumption is that the core set will have pre built starter decks for each outfit.

I think my wish was more about wanting an outfit centered around mad science as a thematic focus. The easiest way to get a new player who loves science/gadgets involved would be to just hand them a starter deck for a mad science outfit full of Mad Scientists and Gadgets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's preview card is a gadget
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that there will be some Mad Scientists and gadgets.

It's more difficult for new players to get into a game if they have to start by building a deck. My assumption is that the core set will have pre built starter decks for each outfit.

I think my wish was more about wanting an outfit centered around mad science as a thematic focus. The easiest way to get a new player who loves science/gadgets involved would be to just hand them a starter deck for a mad science outfit full of Mad Scientists and Gadgets.

I think we saw somewhere that each outfit will have multiple homes in the base set, I'd wager that (if that is true) at least one of the homes will have a "mad scientist" focus in some way. I doubt it will be a pre-built demo deck, but it'll be there for the building.

I would also assume that they will have deck lists of the two demo decks so you can put those together and play them from the base set. I wouldn't count on "pre-built" decks for all the factions out of the box though.

Edit: As for what faction that will be, todays preview reveals that the morgan cattle company has at least one scientist on hand and in its employ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:

I think we saw somewhere that each outfit will have multiple homes in the base set,

If you saw this it is a false rumor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:
I doubt it will be a pre-built demo deck, but it'll be there for the building.

I would also assume that they will have deck lists of the two demo decks so you can put those together and play them from the base set. I wouldn't count on "pre-built" decks for all the factions out of the box though.

If they don't have pre-built decks for all the factions in the core box, then I think they're missing a marketing opportunity.

While I realize most of those players reading the BGG forum postings are already Doomtown fans and eager for the new cards to build decks, I assume that AEG is hoping to gain some new customers with the launch of the new Base Set.

And many of the potential new customers will be interested in seeing what the game is like and want to do so "out of the box" rather than start out by having to construct decks.

I expect (or at least hope), like the FFG LCGs, there will be a set card list for "ready-to-play" decks for each outfit. Does anyone know if that's true?
For example, FFG's Star Wars LCG says "The Star Wars: The Card Game Core Set includes four ready-to-play decks, each built around one LS or DS affiliation (Rebel Alliance, Jedi, Imperial Navy, and Sith)."

For non-collecting, non-deck building players, they even go on to say "The Star Wars: The Card Game Core Set is designed as a stand-alone product, providing many hours of entertainment as players explore the various strategies of the cards provided."

I think this is a wise approach that allows new players to buy just the core set and enjoy it without feeling they must get into buying the entire line in order to enjoy the experience.

Of course many players who buy the core set go on to buy additional expansions, but I think it's a wise marketing plan to try and accommodate both approaches.

My original post voiced my hope that, for my friends (especially my steampunk girlfriend) who are not into deck building or CCG/LCG/ECGs, there will be easily assembled, playable decks for all outfits, including one that is Mad Science focused.

Of course AEG cannot release everything for every outfit at once! And I understand there will be some mad scientists and gadgets that can be built into decks.

It's just that without such an outfit's pre-built deck in the base set, I will be less likely to gain interest with many of my steampunk, non-deck building friends.

And yes, I know I could construct decks for them, and that makes them more likely to play with me but not more likely to buy a base set for themselves or spread interest in the game further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
AEGTodd wrote:
Bithlord wrote:

I think we saw somewhere that each outfit will have multiple homes in the base set,

This might've been me. I know I speculated as much when I was playing numbers games with the 146 unique cards vs 286 cards in the box.

It was only ever intended as speculation, though -- didn't mean to get any hopes up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
AEGTodd wrote:

Fair enough, I probably misinterpreted "four homes" (meaning 1 for each faction) as four for each faction. Either way, not a big deal. I'm sure we'll see multiple homes for a given faction eventually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Considering how challenging it is to build a deck for Doomtown, I would be surprised if at least suggested builds were not provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
cosine wrote:
Considering how challenging it is to build a deck for Doomtown, I would be surprised if at least suggested builds were not provided.

I still think a suggested build for the two factions with demo decks (the suggested build being the demo decks) would be included in the game. But, those suggested builds are very unlikely to be optimized or anywhere near competitive. Becuase the purpose is to showcase the mechanics, not necessarily to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
cosine wrote:

Agreed. This'd be a big step in marketing it to the board game crowd -- the ability to just grab the box and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.