aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
I am about to finish the Hook Mountain adventure, and I could not resist the temptation of reading the loot I will (hopefully) get. The wand of enervation looks so powerful that I had no words (Ezren will be able to add an average of +6 to ANY combat check while recharging the card! Brutal!).

However the Headband of Vast Intelligence looked not better than most items, and clearly inferior to any other loot. Unless I am missing something.

Yes, a permanent +1 to int is good in Ezren (moaarr damage and recharges) but compared to what you get with Impaler of Thorns, the Sihedron Medallion or the Enervation Wand, not sure the Headband is worth the item slot...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Headband is the one piece of loot our party of four did not take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be inferior compared, but the Belt of Strength is in my barbarian's deck and is amazing. She also has the Wisdom one because she can have a max 1d6+1 Wisdom.

Sure, +1 Int doesn't sound that interesting, but think of it this way: How often do you get those ability points? Once an adventure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not seem quite as awesome as some of the other loot, but if you consider it like you are swapping a card feat for a skill feat, it isn't a bad trade off.

I have Ezren carrying it, because he's got some cards with some pretty high recharge checks that risk being buried: Brodert Quinck, the Wand of Enervation, etc. I'd like to know he's basically guaranteed to recharge them. Plus it frees you to put skill feats in other skills. Which is nice in a smaller group that might not have certain skills at a high level.

But don't get too hung up on keeping loot. If you don't think it will work for one of your characters, go ahead and ditch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
For us the first loot we opted not to take was Snakeskin Tunic. If you reveal it for the +1 Dex on a combat check you can't use it (or any armor) to reduce damage if you fail the check. Didn't seem worth keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Prieur
Canada
flag msg tools
I would use the Arcane Armor or Mirror Image rule from the faq http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9r76

for the snakeskin tunic.

Basically you can reveal it for the dex and if you later take damage you can recharge/bury it to prevent the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eprieur wrote:
I would use the Arcane Armor or Mirror Image rule from the faq http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9r76

for the snakeskin tunic.

I think it is intentional that only applies to spells. Some items (e.g., belts, rings) have the phrase "you can play another card of this type on this check". Snakeskin Tunic does not have this. Seems pretty clear that you are not allowed to play another armor on the check if you use the Tunic for the +1 Dex -- but I've been wrong before with the rules to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Prieur
Canada
flag msg tools
cbrua wrote:
eprieur wrote:

for the snakeskin tunic.

I think it is intentional that only applies to spells. Some items (e.g., belts, rings) have the phrase "you can play another card of this type on this check". Snakeskin Tunic does not have this. Seems pretty clear that you are not allowed to play another armor on the check if you use the Tunic for the +1 Dex -- but I've been wrong before with the rules to this game. :D

It seem you are trying a bit too hard to follow the "rules". At least the faq does give you an open door to use that rule with the :

"Generally, you can't play a second spell on a check unless it says so. However, damage-reduction spells (and only spells, for the most part) should usually say so."

for the most part mean it could be applied to another type of damage-reduction card type.

I mean, armor is probably the least interesting card type already and pretty bad in general except for very specific situations.

The solution to this is that you add dual effect to armor and the snakeskin tunic seem to be clearly heading in that direction. You keep it in your hand for the reveal and you have it when for when you get rammed for 6 damages. If you rule that you cannot do that you basically take what is the best armor at that point in the game and you make it worse then magic leather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea about whether you could you play Snakeskin Tunic for the Dex +1 then also an armor to reduce damage for failing the check to defeat the monster. Mike's answer was no.

The Snakeskin Tunic is intended to give you options. But it doesn't let you avoid limit of 1 card of each type per step of the encounter. But remember, it is per step of the encounter. So Before the Encounter Effects and After the Encounter Effects are separate from attempting the check. You could use the Snakeskin Tunic to reduce damage in either of those steps and (assuming it was still in your hand) use it for the +1 Dexterity when attempting the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eprieur wrote:
It seem you are trying a bit too hard to follow the "rules".

The game is easy enough as it is. I don't see any reason to make things more powerful than the designer intended them to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
The idea about whether you could you play Snakeskin Tunic for the Dex +1 then also an armor to reduce damage for failing the check to defeat the monster. Mike's answer was no.

Thanks Hawk. I did a quick scan of Paizo's forums but hadn't found that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:
Yes, a permanent +1 to int is good in Ezren (moaarr damage and recharges) but compared to what you get with Impaler of Thorns, the Sihedron Medallion or the Enervation Wand, not sure the Headband is worth the item slot...

There is a +2 version in the next set (? of Epic Intelligence). You can use them together. You want to recharge Disintegrate every time, right? Otherwise you would need to recharge your Robe of Runes.... (Although you can cycle a card faster if you don't recharge it by using the Robe to put it back into your hand.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP called it: this piece of loot is "good in Ezren" (sic). Other characters really won't get quite a much use out of it...but for one character, it's a good item. Other pieces of loot are also designed for certain characters.

Before everyone goes "A piece of loot for just one character?", keep in mind that it's also likely that Ezren will not be the only character ever released that makes good use of the Intelligence skill. I'm sure there will be other characters who use Intelligence (and / or have it as something they need for some key abilities), and / or other versions of Ezren, released in future adventure paths, who will be able to make good use of the Headband of Vast Intelligence. Run them through Runelords, and they'll likely be happy to take this piece of loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.