12 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: What would happen if someone made a PC version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
g f
msg tools
Greetings,

Question might be primarily targeted at the publisher's representative seeing as they're in touch with the players.

I'm considering coding a Java version with a friend possibly scanning the cards so I can play with my mates online. Not a website based version but a TCP version, type the IP of server kind of stuff. Possibly could include custom cards and variants. What would happen if I also shared this version around here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the iOS Ascension port would be just like it as it has the same mechanisms in it. Just add another stack for the super villain next to the +2 cards up top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be that hard to port since their online (I mean iOS) version of Penny Arcade: The Game – Gamers vs. Evil has exactly the base for what they need.

However, when I asked Cory about it last year in an interview he mentioned they do not have the license for DC digitally so it couldn't happen. (at least at that time with no license-- It's entirely possible they could get into a co-op with whomever has the digital license-- WB?-- and do a game, not sure the $$ is enough for both parties to be happy with it)

(edit:added that I was talking about iOS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically it seems that game companies are ok with this sort of thing as long as you don't use any of their art. With DC also involved, I'd say tbat goes double now.

gfprime wrote:
Greetings,

Question might be primarily targeted at the publisher's representative seeing as they're in touch with the players.

I'm considering coding a Java version with a friend possibly scanning the cards so I can play with my mates online. Not a website based version but a TCP version, type the IP of server kind of stuff. Possibly could include custom cards and variants. What would happen if I also shared this version around here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g f
msg tools
Trump wrote:
Typically it seems that game companies are ok with this sort of thing as long as you don't use any of their art. With DC also involved, I'd say tbat goes double now.
Naturally, because it's DC, I wouldn't do anything without including as much art and material as possible.

It also goes without saying that I don't intend to sell, only to play and share. Also, it'd be entirely for the PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gfprime wrote:
Trump wrote:
Naturally, because it's DC, I wouldn't do anything without including as much art and material as possible.

It also goes without saying that I don't intend to sell, only to play and share. Also, it'd be entirely for the PC.

It's a violation of the law to distribute copyrighted images without approval, so I wouldn't recommend that at all. And it doesn't matter one bit whether you're doing it for free or for profit. The law doesn't care. And it certainly doesn't care what platform you're doing it on. You would likely get sued for infringement at least.

That said, there are ways around it. If you could code the game so that it works without images, then you could distribute that as long as you don't violate trademark by calling it the DC Comics Deck-Building Game or reference Superman or Batman or anything of that sort. Just call it "CDBG" or something like that. Game rules and systems cannot be copyrighted, so that's legal. Then your code could look for the images in a directory that the user specifies. If it finds the images, it displays them. If it doesn't, it could just show card text. Then each user could scan the cards himself. You're allowed to scan the cards for your own personal use; you just can't distribute them to anyone else, I believe. That said, IANAL (I am not a lawyer), so caveat reader.

A lot of this has already been done though, so probably no need to reinvent the wheel. Take a look at OCTGN and VASSAL. You should be able to develop a DCCDBG module for one of those systems fairly easily. There may already be such a module in existence if you look around for it. (I have no idea, honestly, but I know there are lots and lots of modules for many different card games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g f
msg tools
I see. Then public sharing is a no-go. Too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gfprime wrote:
I see. Then public sharing is a no-go. Too bad.

Just for the images! And it doesn't matter whether it's publicly shared or privatedly shared. Any kind of sharing of copyrighted material is still illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card text is copyrighted too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've been looking for a new online game to play and an online DBG would be AMAZING! Sure, you can't make an exact copy of this game, but why not change the theme to something else?

~Zuty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g f
msg tools
Zuty wrote:
I've been looking for a new online game to play and an online DBG would be AMAZING! Sure, you can't make an exact copy of this game, but why not change the theme to something else?

~Zuty

The reason for that is with this game, the theme is a major fun factor on a level that I wouldn't care for this if it were differently themed. For instance I don't like LOTR and I won't ever give that deck builder a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McGlade
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
gfprime wrote:
The reason for that is with this game, the theme is a major fun factor on a level that I wouldn't care for this if it were differently themed. For instance I don't like LOTR and I won't ever give that deck builder a try.

I can understand that. Too bad you couldn't just use Marvel characters though, would still be breaking some sort of copyright law. The only way to do it would be coming up with your own characters and such.

~Zuty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.