Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Base game again or.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Owned the base game a while back but traded it away, thinking of picking it up again but not sure if I should get the base set or Intrigue first then maybe add the base cards to Intrigue ? Will be playing as 2 player with gf but I'd prefer more interaction.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Hi,

Owned the base game a while back but traded it away, thinking of picking it up again but not sure if I should get the base set or Intrigue first then maybe add the base cards to Intrigue ? Will be playing as 2 player with gf but I'd prefer more interaction.

Thanks.
be careful what you mean by "base cards" as that's actually a separate pack of just treasures and victories etc - you could add them to any set for a full game.

Sure, get intrigue. good idea. Hinterlands is pretty cheap on Amazon right now though, maybe get that instead with the base cards? Hinterlands is something akin to "Dominion Version 2" in the kinds of cards they contain, and not really themed in a certain mechanic unlike the other sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the GF played before? The thing is mine got hooked after playing the base game, but I think Intrigue may work better in the long run because of the more interesting interactions provided by it. If she has never played, I would suggest base game as it seems to have the best results, especially if she's not a gamer person. However, if she has played before, is a gamer, or it's possible for you to borrow someone's base game and introduce it to her that way, I suggest Intrigue. Better in the long run.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Hinterlands is something akin to "Dominion Version 2" in the kinds of cards they contain, and not really themed in a certain mechanic unlike the other sets.


Buh wha? Hinterlands has a pretty strong mechanic: effects that happen when you buy or gain cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Owned the base game a while back but traded it away, thinking of picking it up again but not sure if I should get the base set or Intrigue first then maybe add the base cards to Intrigue ? Will be playing as 2 player with gf but I'd prefer more interaction.


Intrigue has the same number of interactive cards as the Base game, but it feels more interactive. Part of this is because it has more cards that you want a lot of, so you're sometimes racing to get them before the other players. The other part is that Intrigue's attacks hurt a lot more than the Base game's attacks. They're some of the nastiest attacks in Dominion. If that sounds like your gf's cup of tea, then go for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Hinterlands is something akin to "Dominion Version 2" in the kinds of cards they contain, and not really themed in a certain mechanic unlike the other sets.


Buh wha? Hinterlands has a pretty strong mechanic: effects that happen when you buy or gain cards.
Yes, but it's generally just a gentle expansion to the game flow, nothing huge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Gf has played the base game with me but we've both only played it a few times with the 'first game' Kingdom cards we never tried any other sets and there is a 'interaction' set suggested in the base game. So wasn't sure what this would play like compared to Intrigue ?

Gf isn't really a gamer either, she rarely says 'let's play a game'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Hi,

Gf has played the base game with me but we've both only played it a few times with the 'first game' Kingdom cards we never tried any other sets and there is a 'interaction' set suggested in the base game. So wasn't sure what this would play like compared to Intrigue ?

Gf isn't really a gamer either, she rarely says 'let's play a game'
not really an interactive mix, the only interaction there would be attacks, like militia, which mostly leas to frustration and longer games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok looks like Intrigue is the way to go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.