Subject: Car question: Squeaking breaks WHEN STOPPED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hive_mind [+] [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a car question for the hive mind. In the past couple months, my 20 year old car's brakes have started squeaking, but only when the car is stopped. I know that squeaking/screeching brakes as you decelerate can mean several things, including that it's time to replace your pads (you don't keep a car for 20 years without learning that), but there isn't much noise when I decelerate: Only when I'm stopped at a light with the brakes on. It's a shrill whistling noise, and it stops the moment I take my foot off the brake pedal. The noise is so annoying that I've gotten into the habit of, once I stop, lifting my foot off the brake pedal; my car is a manual so as long as the road is flat I can sit still with no brakes on.

Anybody know what this could be? I tried a google search but looking up "car brakes squeak when stopped" gives you a billion pages about brakes that squeak when you decelerate, and none describing my problem.

My only guess is that the power brake system might have a leak somewhere that is making the noise, but that's just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be your timing belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Google Fu brought me here: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-1-4l-multiair-tur...
and here: http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2142894/clutch-relea...

I have no idea if this is right or not, but it could be related to your clutch. Or your cd player or the air conditioner or a hamster. I like turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I tried a google search but looking up "car breaks squeak when stopped"...

Possibly, if you spelled brakes correctly, your results might improve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of a belt, but I don't think it could be that (or the clutch). I've tested, stopped at an intersection, brake down = noise, brake up = silent, down = noise, up = silent, etc. I'm not toggling the clutch here, so it doesn't seem it could be the cause. Same with the timing belt - the engine is idling with no load the whole time, so the noise wouldn't be going on and off if it were the belt that caused it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I ROCK. I decided to read up on how brakes work, and http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/... makes me 99% sure I know the problem: I have a leak in the power brake system's diaphragm.

There's a vacuum chamber with a diaphragm separating it into two areas. When you press the brake pedal, it lets air into one side of the diaphragm, which pushes the diaphragm into the rod that applies the brakes, magnifying your foot pressure. When you release the pedal, the valve closes, restoring vacuum to both sides of the diaphragm. So, since I hear the noise when the brake is down and the car is stopped, that tells me that there is probably a leak in the diaphragm letting air go through; as the air goes through, it is whistling.

This also tells me I should see a mechanic. If the hole gets worse, I could lose power brakes unexpectedly. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
On a similar issue. My motorcycle used to squeal when braking, or coming to a stop. It was nothing to do with the brakes themselves, but the suspension was at fault, causing air to leak through the fork oil seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad we could be of service. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a mechanic, once, and I described the grinding sound that I was hearing.

"You don't have your stereo turned up loud enough", he told me.

True story, I swear it! We had a good laugh about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Man, I ROCK. I decided to read up on how brakes work, and http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/... makes me 99% sure I know the problem: I have a leak in the power brake system's diaphragm.

There's a vacuum chamber with a diaphragm separating it into two areas. When you press the brake pedal, it lets air into one side of the diaphragm, which pushes the diaphragm into the rod that applies the brakes, magnifying your foot pressure. When you release the pedal, the valve closes, restoring vacuum to both sides of the diaphragm. So, since I hear the noise when the brake is down and the car is stopped, that tells me that there is probably a leak in the diaphragm letting air go through; as the air goes through, it is whistling.

This also tells me I should see a mechanic. If the hole gets worse, I could lose power brakes unexpectedly. gulp

That was my guess after your initial description. Definitely get it checked out soon, as it could get worse and reduce or kill the power braking effect. You'll still have brakes if that happens, but it will take a whole lot more leg strength for the same braking effort.

It also means you're sucking a (small) amount of unfiltered air into your engine, which is no good for it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
On a similar issue. My motorcycle used to squeal when braking, or coming to a stop. It was nothing to do with the brakes themselves, but the suspension was at fault, causing air to leak through the fork oil seals.

Oh and when it wasn't leaking air it was leaking fork oil onto the disc brakes and tire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.