BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: New RPG board game - Ragnarok (Ongoing) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Ma
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I am designing a RPG type board game (2-8 players) which is similar to Krosmaster-Arene but with a novel mechanics, a non-turn base game (not to be confused with real-time though). The main theme of the game is gods from mythology of different culture in the ancient world such an China, Japan, India and Europe etc fighting each other in Ragnarok. In fact, after some literature research many of them have the same origin that's why I would like to put all them together in a main line of Ragnarok. Is there any game (not limited to boardgame) with a similar/same idea? Any people interested in this theme? I am going to use real god name in the game (of course not Jesus and Allah though, I only go for the polytheistic epics) and one of my female friend said it will still offend some people. (I don't really get it but it's her thought ). Any other thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from RPG : General Role-Playing to BGG>> Board Game Design.

I think the theme is interesting. Some games that use Gods/Mythology well off the top of my head:
Cyclades (You bid on the Gods. Gaining their favour allows you to take certain actions.)
Chaos in the Old World (You are the evil Gods. You score points by doing your particular brand of evil.)

I'd steer clear of Gods that are currently being worshipped. So either fictional or classical would be my advice. Not doing this may cause offence. This said some people will be offended at the inclusion of any Gods at all or even using the term God for a character that doesn't represent their God.

Can you tell us more about the roleplaying element? Will you have a GM or Dungeon Master?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Ma
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I am not too sure if my game is regarded as RPG but i would say it has some RPG element. This game will contains a lot of different gods. Some of them are designed to be a tank, caster, and healer etc. Each god has three abilities and a passive ability.

Recommended number of players are 2, 4, 6 or 8. It needs to an even number as it is a team based game. but I may develop some map for odd number of players.

The game involves a action point allowance system. The main unique element about this game is it is a not turn based. Sorry that I cannot reveal the actual mechanics as I spent a long time to develop it. What I can reveal is this system allows players to do "skillshots" and "juking" without element of probability like dice. So you need to predict what action your opponent is going to take.

P.S. Sorry I am not too sure what a GM or Dungeon Master is or what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albertma wrote:
I am not too sure what a GM or Dungeon Master is or what they do.

Game Master or Dungeon Master is a person who guide other players through game plot and control all Non Player Characters and monsters. Mostly used in tabletop roleplay games or games like Mansions of Madness or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). Usually GM should be experiences in order not to ruin the game session, but sometime game allows GM to fight players with full strength and cunning.

I suspect that you are making SMITE: The Boardgame, so I recommend you to skim over this forum and look for various DOTA/MOBA/League of Legends threads. Besides, you can poke boardgames similar to Krosmaster: Arena - Okko: Era of the Asagiri, Super Dungeon Explore or skirmishes like Anima Tactics. If I'm right, you should also take a look at Wings of Glory / Wings of War and Gears of War: The Board Game.

albertma wrote:
this system allows players to do "skillshots" and "juking" without element of probability like dice

Wild guess - flicking? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By RPG I would assume he just means the characters have stats and may possibly advance in skill over time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Ma
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Indeed my game was inspired by league of legend and Krosmaster.
Btwgood guess but it is not flicking. I did play a flicking boardgame. Cannot remember its name though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. That is not an RPG. Just having stats on a unit isnt an RPG, having unit advancemtnt isnt an RPG either.

Sounds more like an arena or skirmish level game like Titan or Melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.