Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an image of the map somewhere that shows track, cubes, etc.? How does first player bidding work? I've looked at some of the games and it looks like all the bids go in at once. Is that how bidding works?

How long do games usually last? How often do you have to check in?

I love RotW and don't get to play it anywhere near as much as I'd like. So if there's an 'online' way like this to play, even in a slower pace, I'd be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toy
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've participated in a couple of these and they were a lot of fun! The key to me was having someone who had an image of the map and was willing to put in the time to administer the graphical changes to the map as the turns played out. Unfortunately I don't know where to get this map image now.

Turn bidding was done via a silent bid to a dummy GM account that the game administrator had access to. It was done on the honor system and seemed to work out fine. We used the revised bidding rules where the highest bidder paid $1 more than the next highest bidder to go first, and the second place bidder paid $1 more than the third highest bidder to go second and so on. Ties were broken by going in reverse order of the previous turn.

I remember checking in a few times a day when we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a game I played last for about a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three games here I participated in actually took 2-4 months each, but they were awesome. The Railways Through Time game that I ran took about three months (and was also a bunch of fun). It's a real shame ideogram deleted his BGG account, because it made those threads unreadable and took out all the map images. At least the RTT game still has the maps since I hosted them: Game 1

The one-round honor system blind bid approach seems to work pretty well for play-by-forum. As for the map images, that's why we played Eastern US and Railways Through Time, because high-res scans of those boards are available here on BGG. I'd love to play a game on England or Europe, but we'd have to work on a digital photo of the map or something. Or we could play on a user-made expansion like Australia.

Hosting it, keeping the map and stats updated, can be a little time consuming, which is why I haven't done it again since 2013. But I might be willing to try and squeeze another one in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about modding this game, but I will need better quality photographs of the boards then what I've found in the galleries. I can correct angled perspectives, but I can't increase resolutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
You don't need high resolution for modding a PbF of these games. You just need to understand layers in photoshop or GIMP. Preferably the maps are about 1000 px on their biggest edge.

The blind bidding system is as follows:
You bid an amount for each turn position and email it to the moderator. Once the mod has all of the bids, he adjudicates them as follows:

Pick the turn position possessing the highest bid across all players (this is usually turn position #1 though in the last turn some people like to bid for going last to protect their secret condition). In the case of a tie, choose the better turn position to adjudicate next.

Once the position is chosen, the highest bid in the position is determined. If there is no tie, that player pays $1 more than the next highest bid for that position. If there is a tie, the player who turn position was later all the other players involved in the tie gets the bid at the value listed. Once a player has bid, his set of bids is discarded.

Repeat until there are no more turn positions to be determined. The last player pays the bid he made for the remaining space, usually $0.

A four player example. Previous turn order was A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4. Bids for this turn are:
A=4,1,0,0
B=7,2,0,0
C=2,0,0,0
D=1,1,0,0

7 is the highest bid and is in first position. B pays $5 for first position.
1 is the highest bid and is for second position. (The 2 on B bids has been discarded.) D & A are tied, so D pays $1 for second.
0 is the highest bid and is for third position. C&A are tied, so C pays $0 for third.
D pays his bid for 4th position, $0.

The new turn order is B,D,C,A and bids cost 5,1,0,0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
You don't need high resolution for modding a PbF of these games. You just need to understand layers in photoshop or GIMP. Preferably the maps are about 1000 px on their biggest edge.

The photographs are already missing fine details like ridges or the separation of letters on city names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.