Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing guys and saw the spell tomes at my flgs. Just wanted the opinions of more seasoned players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one with the lash of hellfire (Tome #2 I believe). You can find a list of cards for each tome listed on the arcane wonders website. Lash is big dissolve bait for your opponent so being able to put another out is big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get a second Core Set before buying any of the Core Spell Tomes. For the same price as getting 3 of the Spell Tomes, you get the same amount of cards as 3 spell tomes plus you get another board (so you can have 2 games at once, or combine them for multiplayer matches), 2 more spellbooks, another set of dice, markers, and tokens, and 2 more status boards. It's a much better value for your dollar.

The only thing the Spell Tomes have going for them is the card distribution. Some people have argued that they like the distribution of getting two copies of Spell Tome 1 and one copy of Spell Tome 2 better than the distribution in the Core Set. As Wario83 mentioned, you can visit the Arcane Wonders website to get a list of the cards and see if you'd rather have the Spell Tomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Chelette
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mb
Core Tome 1 has many more of the high-demand staple cards than Core Tome 2. Yes, Core Tome 2 has the Lash of Hellfire, and it is useful to have a backup weapon, but you are likely to be better off with Sectarus, the Dark Rune Sword from the ForceMaster vs Warlord expansion.

Also, as others have said, a second core set is the best value if you can afford it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider a Spell Tome until you have a second Core Set. Then a single Tome 1 is a good addition if you want more decks running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.