Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Panzer (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Question about delaying actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm having somewhat of an issue with how to handle delaying actions using the Panzer system. Am I missing something?

Here's the situation. On board 6 there are 3 German tanks on the hill overlooking the board edge the Russians are entering on. The 10 Russian tanks enter on turn one and move 5 spaces. If the Germans overwatch fire, that's a minus 3 to their AT Hit modifier. Which means they need a 49 or lower to hit. That's fine. Here's the problem I have. Let's say two of the German tanks hit and destroy the Russians. That means there's 8 Russian Tanks left. If the Russians get initative next turn that's 8 tanks firing on 3 with no AP to Hit modifier. That's probably 3 dead German tanks.

If the Germans go first, they get a chance to fire but with the overwhelming numbers of Russian Tanks, they will probably be destroyed in return.

So how can I simulate the fire, then move to a new location and fire again? I guess you can short halt but to do that you will still have to expose yourself to the massive Russian tank fire before you can move.

Any ideas or am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdedrick wrote:
Quote:
I'm having somewhat of an issue with how to handle delaying actions using the Panzer system. Am I missing something?

Here's the situation. On board 6 there are 3 German tanks on the hill overlooking the board edge the Russians are entering on. The 10 Russian tanks enter on turn one and move 5 spaces. If the Germans overwatch fire, that's a minus 3 to their AT Hit modifier. Which means they need a 49 or lower to hit. That's fine. Here's the problem I have. Let's say two of the German tanks hit and destroy the Russians. That means there's 8 Russian Tanks left. If the Russians get initative next turn that's 8 tanks firing on 3 with no AP to Hit modifier. That's probably 3 dead German tanks.

If the Germans go first, they get a chance to fire but with the overwhelming numbers of Russian Tanks, they will probably be destroyed in return.

So how can I simulate the fire, then move to a new location and fire again? I guess you can short halt but to do that you will still have to expose yourself to the massive Russian tank fire before you can move.

Any ideas or am I missing something?


Have the three Germans be Tigers? Be in hull down positions?

3 vs 10 is pretty bad odds barring a huge quality advantage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can't stop a full tank company with 3 tanks when the fire opens at close range. But you could try any of the following ---

(1) since you are on a hill, use it to seek partial hull down before the Russians enter. That will "intercept" any of their reply hits that strike the lower hull or tracks.

(2) pick a range that the Russians will reach after their first full turn of movement that puts them still in the "long" range window for their own 76mm guns. That cuts their absolute hit chance to 30% without penalties for moving etc. It also should make the front hull of a Panzer IV sufficient to "bounce" their replies, if the Panzer is a model with 80mm front armor on that hull. This means if you kept the right facing, they need a turret hit to penetrate. The Panzer IV has a longer "medium" range window due to its higher velocity gun, and can penetrate T-34s, with a 50% base chance to hit, a couple of hexes farther than they can reach with "medium" range replies.

(3) If the Russians stay all tight in a fist, you may get "rapid fire" additional shots in the same hex, and if you brew one of them up, you may suppress the other tanks there. That makes their replies much less likely to hit. So try to force them to either be together that tightly or not all be able to see your Panzers.

(4) you don't always have the luxury of other supporting arms, but when you do they can help by e.g. firing an artillery barrage that covers some of the Russian tanks. Besides possibly suppressing them, it will also degrade their LOS for their replies, from the barrage hexes passed through. You may manage to get the same effect from smoke from a brew up if you shoot their foremost tanks.

(5) you can be in terrain cover if you can't get partial hull down. It won't effect their penetration but it will degrade their accuracy a bit.

8 medium range shots with a base 30% to hit is 2.4 expected hits, but only 0.96 of them on the turret. Then they have a small chance of no significant damage, and another 20% or so chance of a damaged result (may be bad enough, however). Your own 3 replies at 50% to hit are 1.5 hits expected, 1.35 on places other than the tracks, maybe 1 plus a fractional damaged.

That is barely ahead of them in expected kill terms per volley, and they have more depth to sustain losses, still. So it isn't a great fight to be in, even done right. You will be lucky if you take slightly more with you by the time they knock you out. 3-1 odds with mostly matched tanks are like that. The edge you can get from positioning etc is enough to dominate an even numbers match up, and maybe to hold your own in a 3 to 2 fight. But not in a 3-1 fight...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.