United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist for rules and where to offer your games at...

Math Trade to Test OLWLG Changes (USA only)

deadlines for offers until 11pm ET Wednesday night, then wants due 24 hours after that on Thursday night.

lots (well enough I was afraid to roll them out while a bunch of MT's were active) of changes to the OLWLG, in the sync'ing, pre-formatting (no longer) of item bodies, step's 3 and 4, results summary, etc

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHANGES made to OLWLG

off the top of my head so could be missing some stuff:

1. remove from the viewlist script the code that does the sync'ing w/the geeklist on bgg (which also fetches game data for all game id's picked up from the geeklist/sweeteners) and put it into it's own script. one step closer to making available the script to someone who wants to spiff up the step 3 GUI

2. the sync'ing code now no longer pre-formats the bgg markup into html ... the code that did the formatting had to be moved into a perl module so it could now be called by various script (viewlist, mywants, results-summary, etc) that display the geeklist item's body

3. the sync code creates two data files... one full data, one that was used for step 4 that it used to get the game names, and the list of game id's for the sweeteners extracted from the body. step 4 (mywants) no longer uses that shadow data file, and the list of game id's (sweeteners) is now in the full data file (code to read shadow data still there for all MT's before this one)

4. the new profile/mywants scripts code for alternating column backgrounds in step 4, as well as the new fixed position display DIV when you mouse over the table cells

5. in your profile for magnifying glass options, a new one you can check... "ignore games I own"... before that mag glass option would show any that matched, such as "I want to play" even if you also have it marked own.

6. this was changed earlier but step 2 now only displays a limited number of previous and completed math trades

I'll have to think/look to see what else I've changed but I believe that's the biggies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Burd
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for posting on the geek list, but your days and dates in the list header do not match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Burd wrote:
... your days and dates in the list header do not match up.
Deadlines:
%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Tuesday Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 11pm EDT
Deadline-Wants: WednesdayThursday, April 17, 2014, 11pm EDT
TradeMaximizer-Options: SEED=1234567 ITERATIONS=100 METRIC=USERS-TRADING
%End%
Results posted: Shortly after the last deadline.

arh, you mean Tues/Wed vs Wed/Thur... good catch... the date parser just ignores do the script that adds the MT doesn't catch it I'll fix, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The info feature is fantastic. The colors are also helpful, but could be just a shade more different from each other. The colors are clear on my cellphone, but not on my laptop which has a slightly brighter screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
The info feature is fantastic. The colors are also helpful, but could be just a shade more different from each other. The colors are clear on my cellphone, but not on my laptop which has a slightly brighter screen.
if you go to your profile you can set your own set of colors that the olwlg will alternate through...

... and if you or someone else comes up with a good set and other agree I can set that as the default...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have ever participated in a math trade that allowed a "mirror" shipping policy. Can you explain what that means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I don't think I have ever participated in a math trade that allowed a "mirror" shipping policy. Can you explain what that means?
I cloned the last MT I ran and back then some folks would say mirror shipping policy which is they wouldn't ship to you if you didn't ship to them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you plan to post this one in the math trade announcement thread, or are you keeping it out so it doesn't get too big? Not my concern, just pointing it out in case it was forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
quietcorn wrote:
if you go to your profile you can set your own set of colors that the olwlg will alternate through...

... and if you or someone else comes up with a good set and other agree I can set that as the default...
#dbdbdb #ffcccc lightblue #FFFFFF works well for me on all displays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I am loving the mouse over information for step 4.

Nicely done JeffyJeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
peakhope wrote:
I cloned the last MT I ran and back then some folks would say mirror shipping policy which is they wouldn't ship to you if you didn't ship to them
So is this just a binary will/won't, or does it also match costs somehow?

To rephrase the binary part so everyone is clear:

I might say that I won't ship to anyone who wouldn't have shipped to me, if we had been matched in that direction. So if I'm in Hawaii, and have a mirror policy, then someone on the mainland who has a "48 states only" policy could not receive any of my stuff.

As for the second part of my question: If the mainland person's policy was "Will ship free to 48 states, and will cover the first $15 anywhere else", does that mean that if they were matched to receive my Hawaiian item, they would have to pay any shipping above $15?

I haven't thought it through, but it seems like it could all get quite confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I won't be adding any items to my wantlist that have any sort of strange or uneven shipping policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
It was a retaliatory policy that was initially thought up to encourage other traders to be more open with their trade shipping policies. It was confusing and ultimately detoured actual trades. You are happier for missing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua H
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryhesling wrote:
peakhope wrote:
It was a retaliatory policy that was initially thought up to encourage other traders to be more open with their trade shipping policies. It was confusing and ultimately detoured actual trades. You are happier for missing it.
Originally intended to make people offer free/discounted shipping to Canada in international trades, as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's different about the special version of TradeMax, than the 1.4 everyone been using for years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff - not a big deal but you have this listed as a non-shipping MT in the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff - you may want to change "pouching" to "poaching".

Unless you are strictly prohibiting the act of putting things into bag like containers.

And for the assumption of shipping worldwide since this is a USA math trade shouldn't the header say "assume to be shipping to all of the USA"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a list of what changes have been implemented? It seems like it would be valuable for us to goof around with the new bits and I'm also just curious what's been added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Jeff - you may want to change "pouching" to "poaching".

Unless you are strictly prohibiting the act of putting things into bag like containers.
Or marsupials...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw more info on mirror shipping over at

mirror shipping?

I'd actually suggest folks to continue the discussion there for 2 reasons...

1. that thread is tagged and just for that subject, so others can "more" easily find the discussion and your input on it

2. I'd prefer to keep this thread on track w/actual problems with this math trade and olwlg changes that may have broken things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to enter some items but my head started to hurt reading the guidelines. If I have a couple games with expansion that have entries on bgg do I need to do anything different than previous math trades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpb2000 wrote:
Do you plan to post this one in the math trade announcement thread, or are you keeping it out so it doesn't get too big? Not my concern, just pointing it out in case it was forgotten.
argh, I thought I had! I had it all ready in BGG compose window, in my haste maybe I didn't submit before closing the tab? It's there now! Not worried about too big with the short window to add the games

yaverot wrote:
What's different about the special version of TradeMax, than the 1.4 everyone been using for years?
at the time I ran my last MT 1.4 must have been relatively new still (though for some reason I think mine spits out 1.4a)

MikeTuna wrote:
Is there a list of what changes have been implemented? It seems like it would be valuable for us to goof around with the new bits and I'm also just curious what's been added.
off the top of my head so could be missing some stuff:

1. remove from the viewlist script the code that does the sync'ing w/the geeklist on bgg (which also fetches game data for all game id's picked up from the geeklist/sweeteners) and put it into it's own script. one step closer to making available the script to someone who wants to spiff up the step 3 GUI

2. the sync'ing code now no longer pre-formats the bgg markup into html ... the code that did the formatting had to be moved into a perl module so it could now be called by various script (viewlist, mywants, results-summary, etc) that display the geeklist item's body

3. the sync code creates two data files... one full data, one that was used for step 4 that it used to get the game names, and the list of game id's for the sweeteners extracted from the body. step 4 (mywants) no longer uses that shadow data file, and the list of game id's (sweeteners) is now in the full data file (code to read shadow data still there for all MT's before this one)

4. the new profile/mywants scripts code for alternating column backgrounds in step 4, as well as the new fixed position display DIV when you mouse over the table cells

5. in your profile for magnifying glass options, a new one you can check... "ignore games I own"... before that mag glass option would show any that matched, such as "I want to play" even if you also have it marked own.

6. this was changed earlier but step 2 now only displays a limited number of previous and completed math trades

I'll have to think/look to see what else I've changed but I believe that's the biggies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I was going to enter some items but my head started to hurt reading the guidelines. If I have a couple games with expansion that have entries on bgg do I need to do anything different than previous math trades?
I don't know what you've done on previous but most likely not

issue was, especially for alea treasure chest... folks would offer not the treasure chest but piece out the various expansions for different alea games and list them using the base game's game id
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |