Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recon now has a possibility to unlock new mini-boss for Myth:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/mercs-recon/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the notion of clockwork monsters. Can't wait to see what they'll look like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
... clockwork monsters.

Huh? Can someone elaborate where this comes from? Is this another way of saying steampunk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Frankysan wrote:
... clockwork monsters.

Huh? Can someone elaborate where this comes from? Is this another way of saying steampunk?

Well, we will see better with the KS number 2.
Have you seen the picture?

If (by a little miracle) we get there, Myth pledge will not-so-bad value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah on the KS update, did you see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Is this another way of saying steampunk?

Basically, yes. Think the dwarven automatons in Skyrim, that's pretty close to the style I think they'll be going with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
Is this another way of saying steampunk?

Basically, yes. Think the dwarven automatons in Skyrim, that's pretty close to the style I think they'll be going with.

Well, if it is clockwork it is more like a clockwork-punk :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:

To be precise, the other monsters from that group can look bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

Personally, I think it looks weird and out of place. It doesn't look like something clockwork. It very much looks like something that belongs in MERCs.

Feels a bit like they are jamming in crossovers to hang on to those Myth backers. Perhaps they realised there was a chance people might not see the value as it stood, and didn't really have anything else planned?

However, for people interested in the Myth level, it certainly improves the value to include a miniboss character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Personally, I think it looks weird and out of place. It doesn't look like something clockwork. It very much looks like something that belongs in MERCs.

Haven't they said that the Myth stuff would all be separate models, and would therefore have a look that's more in line with that world? I believe I read that somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Clockwork stuff is sooo in now.

Maybe more people will ignore Myth's issues if we use Steampunk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all a 'clockwork' monster or even 'steampunk'

All the Recon Crossovers are pretty terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
okocnar wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

Feels a bit like they are jamming in crossovers to hang on to those Myth backers. Perhaps they realised there was a chance people might not see the value as it stood, and didn't really have anything else planned?

However, for people interested in the Myth level, it certainly improves the value to include a miniboss character.

I agree, it looks out of place. A security mech with treads isn't what I want in my Myth dungeons. I'll wait for someone to post up the stats and make my own custom one.

I've been backing up from this all day and canceled my pledge. I'll jump back if I think it's worth it...but right now, I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... but you were all fine with the Dog miniboss? Methinks you're taking Myth more seriously than its creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Asderiphel wrote:
I agree, it looks out of place. A security mech with treads isn't what I want in my Myth dungeons. I'll wait for someone to post up the stats and make my own custom one.

Gotta agree. On the surface I am not a big fan of this one. Maybe there will be a story with the Trickster that makes is less "forced" into the Myth world (as I see it now, it feels forced). Time will tell - we are a year away from next KS delivery of Myth (guessing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
miflhanc wrote:
Um... but you were all fine with the Dog miniboss? Methinks you're taking Myth more seriously than its creators.
I took that as a nod and a wink to the KickStarter community and overlooked the novelty ... but you're right, McG has fun with their IP and we probably get a bit wrapped up in ourselves from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebus
Germany
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
okocnar wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

I think it looks out of place as well. I was actually considering jumping in at the Myth level, but I guess I will refrain from doing so now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Asderiphel wrote:

Gotta agree. On the surface I am not a big fan of this one. Maybe there will be a story with the Trickster that makes is less "forced" into the Myth world (as I see it now, it feels forced). Time will tell - we are a year away from next KS delivery of Myth (guessing).

I don't have an issue with clockwork monsters exactly. They are cool in Skyrim. But that thing doesn't look clockwork. It looks like a military vehicle. It appears to have exhaust stacks too. It just feels out of place.

But then, I was never keen on the trickster character either and doubt he will ever see table time. Personal preference at the end of the day, I guess.

I do think the Myth stuff has been a misstep for this campaign. Although, it brought them in over 200 extra backers, so they probably aren't crying into their Cheerios about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
miflhanc wrote:

That's it. I'll make my custom a dog-mech hybrid in Connor's honor.

I'd be fine if it was a nod to their Recon backers or something in the lore for Recon that those guys wanted. I just don't think it fits for Myth. .02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's just concept art. But that doesn't look clockwork or steampunk. That is just straight mechanical automaton.. Looks like it was made by the Hyperion Corporation from Borderlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I do like the idea of a Clockwork faction. I'm actually quite looking forward to that. But I hope they look a lot more cog-and-flywheel than the picture of that miniboss.

I dropped my pledge when they announced the infected. I'm kind of reconsidering with the miniboss. I guess we'll see if/when it's unlocked if I jump back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some clockwork... which, oddly?, I consider as separate from steam punk. The clockwork faction in Rise of Legends (video game from a few years ago) just made me soooo happy. And they were the "DaVinci" faction, to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To me it feels like a throwback to Spelljammer or Shadowrun. A mix of fantasy and limited tech has been done before. These systems that had magic and tech crossovers had many forms.

Not every D&D fan enjoyed these crossovers back then either. I played both as well as ran a few Cyberpunk campaigns as well. I like that they are pushing boundaries and exploring innovation of ideas.

As soon as the word clockwork was used it certainly sent preconceptions to other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what clockwork or steam punk means. Is it miniature war game lingo? Can anyone shed some light?

Anyway, i think it looks pretty silly for Myth, and dosen't look like it fits the theme. But the elemental faction seems to lean towards a mechanistic look, so I guess anything goes in the designers fantasy world.

In terms of the stretch goal it just looks like a last minute addon for myth fans, but way more revant to the Mercs theme. I'm not excited for it in the least. Might be cool game mechanic that it repersents, but I'd probably just replace it with another mini from another game that seems less sci-fi.

Just can't picture an Archer with a Stick and Twine bow standing up to this machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danishdonut wrote:
I have to say that I do like the idea of a Clockwork faction. I'm actually quite looking forward to that. But I hope they look a lot more cog-and-flywheel than the picture of that miniboss.

I dropped my pledge when they announced the infected. I'm kind of reconsidering with the miniboss. I guess we'll see if/when it's unlocked if I jump back in.

This is the other thing I don't think the MERCs guys thought about. When you are backing a kickstarter, and you get shedloads of stretch goals, it doesn't matter if you don't like one or two of them, because there is so much stuff that on the whole, a few duff things isn't much of a concern.

With these Myth exclusives, it only takes one of the things to be something that isn't to your liking, and suddenly the value isn't there anymore.

It has actually worked out quite well for me though, because I have disliked everything in the Myth pledge, so if it does turn out I love Myth when I finally receive it, I am not going to feel bad for missing out on these extra things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.