Subject: Lieutenants to buy or not to buy.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I was tooling the idea around of the purchase of the Lt.s for the overlord experience and other than the cool mini's and the intro of a new deck (which I'm still unsure of as far as the mechanics go). Would you guys recommend these for the overlord. I was interested in what they bring to the table as far as gameplay, other than having a mini to represent the overlord's minion.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondra ulrich
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Buy them, they are necessary for balancing game. You need only one, but if you need more variety buy more of them. I own all base liutenants except Splig + Valyndra. For me is the best liutenant Elisa, but I also realy like Valyndra mini... it looks epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree they're necessary, but they are a lot of fun. If you're into them for the Plot decks overall, check here. Every deck is built around enhancing a particular area — Zachareth's gives you more control over your Overlord cards and the campaign phase, Valyndra's boosts large monsters, Bol'Goreth's enhances Disease and Poison, etc.

For my money the best agents are Mirklace, Queen Ariad, Verminous, Zachareth and Bol'Goreth. I've started writing them up here, and another poster was writing up some in-depth analyses of individual Plot decks/agents as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy one. I also think it helps with game balance somewhat. It gives the overlord more stuff to do and grow alongside the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
Why not buying them all ?

Personnaly, If only some, I would say Alric, Splig, Ariad, Raythen and Serena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
rugal wrote:
Why not buying them all ?

Personnaly, If only some, I would say Alric, Splig, Ariad, Raythen and Serena.

...You work for FFG, don't you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get at least one - they make the OL play much more interesting & add tension to OL decisions. I've only used Alric Farrow so far & give him a thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome responses, I am definately going to most likely buy all of them at some point in the near future. so these plot decks are simply monster boosts or over lord card management mechanics? Can they be combined? Or are they specific to only one Lt.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose one Plot deck at the outset of a campaign, and use just that deck for the campaign. No mixing and matching.

They're a lot like hero skills for the overlord — you pay for them, you keep them forever and can use them at any time. And you don't (or shouldn't) get them all. You have to spend threat to activate AND buy them, and that's a limited resource.

There aren't any official rules for using them in one-off quests, but I think giving the OL 1 threat for every 100 hero gold (rounded up) at setup would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you buy at least one. You will only use one plot deck per campaign so it will be a long while before you use more than one or two. The figs are more useful, just based on the campaigns you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
You choose one Plot deck at the outset of a campaign, and use just that deck for the campaign. No mixing and matching.

Just in case it isn't clear, each Plot deck is unique and tied to one of the lieutenants. When you buy a lieutenant, you buy that plot deck. If you want a specific plot deck, you have to buy that specific lieutenant.

Some of them boost monster stats. Some of them do things to heroes. Like the rest of the Overlord cards, they vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

Just in case it isn't clear, each Plot deck is unique and tied to one of the lieutenants. When you buy a lieutenant, you buy that plot deck. If you want a specific plot deck, you have to buy that specific lieutenant.

Some of them boost monster stats. Some of them do things to heroes. Like the rest of the Overlord cards, they vary.

Is anyone willing to come up with a quick summary, like the one mentioned above? (Agent X's deck is about monsters, Agent B's deck is about attacks, etc,)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roughly:

Bol'Goreth: Disease/Poison

Valyndra: Large monsters/defense

Zachareth: OL cards/campaign phase
Splig: Wilderness monsters/defense and health
Belthir: Basic deck
Lady Eliza Farrow: Dark monsters/health recovery/damage mitigation/defense
Sir Alric Farrow: Monster damage/defense buffs
Lord Merick Farrow: Monster buffs/hero harassment/Magic cards

Queen Ariad: Wilderness monsters/Trap cards
Ariad: Cursed monsters/Range/LOS
Raythen: Search tokens
Serena: Civilized monsters/hero harassment

Mirklace: Hot monsters/damage/fatigue
Rylan Olliven: Campaign phase/hero influence
Tristayne Olliven: Damage-benefit tradeoffs/monster buffs
Verminous: Weak monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys think it should be a deciding factor if the lieutenants actually appear in the campaign you are playing. For instance if I'm playing the base game should I consider the lieutenants related to the expansions?

I'm refering to this list which can be found in this thread ( http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1152053/complete-lieutenants... )

Shadow of Nerekhall:
Gargan Mirklace
Verminous
Tristayne Olliven
Rylan Olliven

Labirynth of Ruin:
Ariad
Queen Ariad
Serena
Raythen

Trollfens:

Bol'Goreth

Lair of the Wyrm:
Valyndra

Base Game:
Splig
Lord Merrick Farrow
Baron Zachareth
Lady Eliza Farrow
Belthir
Sir Alric Farrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how many you're thinking of buying and why.

If you're only buying a few, say 1-3, I'd just choose the ones you like the sound of, no matter where they came from. It's nice, at the beginning of a campaign, to have a few good options to choose from once you see what the heroes look like. If you're buying more, say 5-8, I'd probably get at least half of them were from whatever it is you're playing.

The most important usage of these, at least from my perspective, is how they change the game. So I bought the ones that people said were the strongest. But if you're buying them to have the figure, then you would prefer the ones from whatever it is that you're playing.

One thing to remember is that you only use one lieutenant for a campaign. So if you buy more than a couple for variety, they won't get used in the campaign unless they appear in it. So if you're doing the base game, and buy all of the SoN lieutenants along with Valyndra, you will find that you spent money on things which you're not using.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.