Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is part 4 of my third AAR for The Dark Valley, 'though I've been mis-numbering the reports in their titles. The first try starts here. I said I would solo the game until I “either a) decide I've screwed it up enough that I need to start over; b) get a good PBEM game rolling and decide to learn a new game instead of keep this going, or; c) conquer the world!”

I will try to apply the lessons I learned in the first try, and some feedback I've received since about strategy, to the early German turns in this game, hoping to at least avoid having Russian infantry show up in Western Poland in 1941 and make the air bases and supply depots all bug out. Hopefully this game will last long enough to get a better sense of how the chit pull variability affects things. Using Vassal instead of the table setup should help me keep things flowing more easily as well.

July, 1941 began with a Logistics chit pull, followed by a German Move/Combat. During the first month of the war the Germans had left their forces somewhat scattered, and needed to use the second chit to move into positions where they could launch further attacks. The third round was for 3rd Panzer.

Army Group Center

The Russians had created a stout defense at Minsk, using one of their city defense markers to keep far reaching German Panzer forces at a distance.

Rather than battering their armor against the stout defenses, the Germans launched coordinated attacks against the forces on Minsk's outskirts, and sent their armored troops ranging ahead.

The Russians drew their Move chit next, but German ZOCs had left most of the Soviet eastern remnants stuck in place. I did grant Russian mechanized units a “double move,” as I'd not accounted for their turn 4 withdrawal and wanted to give them a chance to bring those units into the fight.

The Russians also began pulling back from their frontline on the Romanian border. Thinking that the Germans would want to use their next Move/Combat chit to fight, they are trying to deny targets which can't hope to survive. The next chit was 4th Panzer.

Army Group North

AGN had made reasonable progress in its initial breakout, but had become scattered. Riga had been heavily fortified as well, so the Germans had to move into position before fighting.

It was a bloody fight, but an EX result caused 4 steps worth of Russians to evaporate. Armored forces began working to open up the approaches to Leningrad. Note that this image has a German unit marked OOS incorrectly, and that stack did eliminate the Russian unit opposing it, after I figured out the correct times to do supply checks.

The next Move/Combat chit was pulled, and the Germans used it for Combat, mainly cleaning up some rear areas and striking where they still could at Soviet forces in the south. After that, 1st Panzer had its first opportunity to act.

Army Group South

They moved forces forward and cleared some towns along rail lines of Soviet troops. AGS has made good progress, their supply train remains far behind, and that is worrisome.

The next chits were 2nd Panzer, followed by Counter Attack. 2nd Panzer HQ had become sort of a “floater,” and wasn't in range to do much. It fell back to help arrange an assault against Kaunas, which MUST be cleared for supplies to flow forward. The Soviets were able to manage only 4 of their mandated 6 counter attacks. They were largely attritional, with little affect on the situation.

The only chits remaining were 1st and 2nd Panzer, and they arrived in that order.

AGS continued to advance toward Kiev, but I wonder if they've slowed down too much at this point?

2nd Panzer at least cleared Kaunas, but it was lucky. I'd nearly forgotten, again, about the order of Depot movement in the Attrition Phase. A 2:1 attack against the isolated Russian infantry yielded a DR, which ZOCs prevented.

So here is the Eastern Front after July, 1941. German forces seem to be making good progress, but I'm not really sure about that assessment. Certainly they are straining their supply lines.

I've been getting good feedback so far from other users, and welcome every bit of it. Turn 3 to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Re: The Dark Valley AAR #3 Part 4, Turn 2 - August 1941
You are a half-turn to a turn behind schedule imo, but not so much you can't still make it up.

As for supply, an Axis player determined to keep all his units in supply every turn will never make fast enough progress. You have to risk putting your spearheads OOS. The trick is to try not to put all your panzers OOS on one front at the same time, so that when some go OOS you can leapfrog others while they recover. And if you aren't making use of ALL your air supply markers each turn they are available, you are being too cautious.

Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Dark Valley AAR #3 Part 4, Turn 2 - August 1941
tdraicer wrote:
You are a half-turn to a turn behind schedule imo, but not so much you can't still make it up.

As for supply, an Axis player determined to keep all his units in supply every turn will never make fast enough progress. You have to risk putting your spearheads OOS. The trick is to try not to put all your panzers OOS on one front at the same time, so that when some go OOS you can leapfrog others while they recover. And if you aren't making use of ALL your air supply markers each turn they are available, you are being too cautious.

Ted

Excellent, thanks for the tips. I had certainly not thought about intentionally using air supply, I will look for ways to do that from here out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.