Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to take on this request, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in building and learning how to play NBN Fast Advance, and since it's really popular, I figure a lot of people know how to play it.

I was hoping someone could do a thorough explanation/tutorial on how to build and how to play the deck. The strategy and mindset behind it, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes on the request.

Alternatively, if you know of a really good existing tutorial, please link me to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Netrunner with Scott videos posted in these forums. He's playing NBN Fast Advance and playing it well.

Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to latest video:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/44019/android-netrunner/n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Staples in-faction : Astroscript Pilot Program, SanSan City Grid, Shipment from SanSan, Psychographics, Anonymous Tip, Jackson Howard, Midseason Replacements
Staples out-of-faction : Biotic Labor, Trick of Light

Essentially, the easiest way for NBN FA is to score that first Astroscript - somehow. Bluff it as asset, hide it behind ICE, before Runner has necessary breakers, etc. Once you have one scored, use Anonymous Tip / Jackson Howard, to draw quickly to find other Astroscripts. By using the token from Astroscript, you can score next 3 advance agenda (ideally, next Astroscript) from hand, by simply install, advance, advance + use token. This is so-called "Astro Train" - one agenda fuels the other. You can use Shipment from SanSan instead advance, advance, because it's essentialy the same thing, but without using money (which helps your economy).

The other path is to install and rez SanSan City Grid and protect it. It again allows you to score 3 advance agenda from hand (it lowers the advance to 2). So, you want a decent amount of 3 advance agenda in your deck, almost always those will be Project Beale and Astroscript Pilot Program.

Another path is to heavy tag runner somehow (usually by playing Midseason Replacements) and then score agendas out of hand by installing them and playing Psychographics, while runner still has tags. This has a potential to combo with Project Beale, because if Runner has many tags and you have lots of money, you can suddenly make Project Beale a 3 or even 4 pointer.

Another path is to use Biotic Labor to help scoring Astroscript from hand, without the need to protect it on remote. This way you just need a lot of money, play Biotic Labor, and then instal, advance, advance, advance. Similiar path is with Trick of Light. You essentially play some kind of trap (Project Junebug, etc.) or advanceable asset (Thomas Haas is often used here) and then install agenda, advance and play trick of light to move 2 tokens from other trap/asset card.

Best FA decks try to combine some of these paths, to increase their chances. You need to make sure, that you have decent economy to support expensive SanSan City Grid and Biotic Labor. Hedge Fund and Sweeps Week are almost a given, you might want to add even more.

FA decks tend to focus on a wide range of end the run ice. Some cheap ice for starters is great, but it's good to have something better for end game. Most common ICE in these decks are Wall of Static, Paper Wall, Quandry, Enigma, Viper, Eli 1.0, Tollbooth, RSVP, Wraparound. If you play with Making News identity, you might want to add some trace ice, like Caduceus or Uroboros.

70% of skill in playing NBN FA is to understand the probabilities of runner hitting an agenda and to devote your game to initiate your "Astro Train". You want to end the game as quickly as possible because you don't usually have neither resources nor money to defend central servers or trick runner into a trap. This means you need to be brave sometimes and not ICE central servers immediately or not rez certain ICE during runs, if that would drain you too much. A lot depends on starting hand and your first moves. It's not unusual to leave both HQ and R&D open and quickly hide that first Astroscript behind one or even two ice. You also need to be very aggresive when it comes to drawing and discarding - usually far more than with any other corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Here are Plugged-In tournament write-ups and decklists from Sneakysly and Alexfrog, using Making News

http://stimhack.com/the-greatest-thing-ever-plugged-in-tourn...

http://stimhack.com/plugged-in-tour-seattle-first-place-repo...

And a rather large thread discussing TWIY

http://forum.stimhack.com/t/astrobiotics-fun-with-twiy/610
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Check out Netrunner with Scott videos posted in these forums. He's playing NBN Fast Advance and playing it well.

Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to latest video:

I'm not playing pure NBN: FA. I'm playing NB: Taxing FA. The pure FA people are using TWIY* with biotic labor splashes. They just rush the agendas out as fast as humanly possible and defend them with their 6 card HQ.

What I do is create a catch-22 for the runner. If they sit and build their rig, I'll rush out agendas on my sansan. If they try early aggression without a rig, I will tax their economy to nothing and create scoring windows big enough to drive an Astrotrain through. I lose against strong players with Magnum Opus because even if you close their accounts, they take 8 credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:
jkayati wrote:

Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to latest video:

I'm not playing pure NBN: FA. I'm playing NB: Taxing FA. The pure FA people are using TWIY* with biotic labor splashes. They just rush the agendas out as fast as humanly possible and defend them with their 6 card HQ.

What I do is create a catch-22 for the runner. If they sit and build their rig, I'll rush out agendas on my sansan. If they try early aggression without a rig, I will tax their economy to nothing and create scoring windows big enough to drive an Astrotrain through. I lose against strong players with Magnum Opus because even if you close their accounts, they take 8 credits.

Well that just sounds fantastic! Also, in the video, you mentioned a Weyland program-trashing deck. Can you link to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure that fast track will make chaining astro scripts way more consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quarkyphysicist wrote:
I figure that fast track will make chaining astro scripts way more consistent.

It'll almost certainly help, as drawing either one will get the card you need.

Of course, could still be hard to score from hand the same turn you acquire the Astro (possible, but not as easily as drawing naturally). Ideally you're going to want to either have a rezzed SanSan and a scored astro already (install-advance-astrotoken) or a Biotic Labor ready to go.

Otherwise you need to protect your Astro in HQ when the runner knows you have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that it's important to note that there are a lot of types of NBNFA that play very differently from one another. There are the fastest types, usually TWIY splashing Biotic Labor, the rushy types, which often splash for economy, and the taxing types, which splash for mostly ICE and sometimes Ash. That's not even including midseason decks. They all, however, have a similar, 2-part game plan.

(1) Score Astroscript.

(2) Win the rest of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.