7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon Crawler, Skirmisher, or Traitor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shield Cast
msg tools
Hey guys,

I am looking to build my future wishlist, and need some help finding new games that fit into any of these genres: Dungeon Crawler, Skirmisher, or Traitor.

Existing Games:
Dungeon Crawlers
Gears of War
Descent 2e
Pathfinder: The card game (ish)
Claustrophobia

Skirmisher
Mage Wars
Earth Reborn

Traitor
Shadows over Camelot
Battlestar Galactica
Avalon

Additionally, I tend to like sci-fi or fantasy themes, other themes are cool as well, except WWI or WWII.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a dungeon crawler, Gears of War: The Board Game or the D&D board games work well (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, and Drizzt). I also really enjoy The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I would only recommend it to you though if you don't mind building decks like you would in MTG or Netrunner.

For skirmish games, I thought Earth Reborn was a little too bloated of a game for what it offered. One game that doesn't get recommend very often is Okko: Era of the Asagiri. This is always on sale over at Miniaturemarket.com. If you don't mind the cardboard stand-ups and anime artwork, it's actually a decent little game. Krosmaster: Arena is probably the most popular choice out there though.

I haven't played many traitor games, but the ones you've listed are all supposed to be good. Police Precinct is another one that includes a traitor variant with higher numbers of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shield Cast
msg tools
Cheers for the recommendations.
I should have specified that the existing games are ones I actually already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] really needs to be added to your list of games to look into. The adrenaline mechanic is really stellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor:
Betryal at House on the Hill is a must-own. Definitively.

Skirmish:
Tannhäuser (FFG rules). I find it a highly enjoyable game that sits nicely right in the middle between Earth Reborn and Space Hulk in terms of complexity, playing time and amount of rules. Main drawback is that you need at least some additional miniatures to make the most of it. Right out of the box there is some variability in the equipment loadout of your characters, but not in force composition.

Dungeon crawler:
Space Hulk. If you can find an affordable copy, don't hesitate - buy. Excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcatraz: The Scapegoat or Betrayal at House on the Hill ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat cavers sorta covers a couple of those categories. I like it better than Betrayal, myself, but I prefer the dungeon theme to the haunted house theme, mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.