United States
Edmond
OK - Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Am I right that there are exactly the correct number of 2+2 trains to allow each minor and each regional/major to purchase exactly 1 of these?

Since these are reserved, no railroad can purchase a second 2+2 train, correct?

Also, since no railroad can purchase a 3 train during the Regional/Minor Railroad phase, am I also right that until all regional and minor railroads are floated, no railroad will have 2 trains, and all railroads will have to have their one and only 2+2 train?

Additionally I'm unclear on the "reservation" rule in

In 5.1.3 (pg 12), the rules state that during the regional/minor railroad phase no player may purchase the secondary shares of any regional. Then in 8.4 the "Reserved Shares" section says that in the "Initial Stock Round" each player may designate a regional secondary share as reserved.

Does the "initial stock round" in 8.4 refer to the initial stock round of the Major Railroad phase or the game as a whole? It seems like it is talking about the Major Railroad phases' initial stock round, but I want to be sure I understand this correctly.

Thanks - pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers to your first three questions are "yes".

The fourth seems to be missing some words.

And finally, it is quite possible that the Regional/Minor Railroad Phase will end in the middle of the first SR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

And finally, it is quite possible that the Regional/Minor Railroad Phase will end in the middle of the first SR.

Eric, what about the 2+2 trains reserved for the 6 regionals that will be removed from the game by the players? I always assumed this would then make those available. Is there somewhere in the rules that indicates they aren't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Preuss
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
DarrellKH wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Eric, what about the 2+2 trains reserved for the 6 regionals that will be removed from the game by the players? I always assumed this would then make those available. Is there somewhere in the rules that indicates they aren't?

There are only 30 2+2 trains. So there are only enough Trains for the 12 Minors and the 18 regionals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vondenburg wrote:
There are only 30 2+2 trains. So there are only enough Trains for the 12 Minors and the 18 regionals.

(Slaps forehead.) You're right, of course. I was thinking there were 18 regionals total, but there are 24 total, minus the 6 that get discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kly don
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

How fast it gets over with may well depend on the play style of given groups and how aggressive the bidding goes.

Even with give away bids to a point (just buying privates that are available), I would think most players would want to get a bit of extra money on at least some of the minors or face restrictions on where they may open them. (Buying at face value or putting a minimal bid in means that minor won't be starting in the Prussian or UK zone for example and still have enough to buy a train)

We did a "test" start up with a 4 player fast start. We had 24 regionals/minors open when everyone ran out of money to start anything else.

My response isn't really on topic with rules I guess, but points out you can have varying opens depending on what the table does strategy wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klydon wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

How fast it gets over with may well depend on the play style of given groups and how aggressive the bidding goes.

Even with give away bids to a point (just buying privates that are available), I would think most players would want to get a bit of extra money on at least some of the minors or face restrictions on where they may open them. (Buying at face value or putting a minimal bid in means that minor won't be starting in the Prussian or UK zone for example and still have enough to buy a train)

We did a "test" start up with a 4 player fast start. We had 24 regionals/minors open when everyone ran out of money to start anything else.

My response isn't really on topic with rules I guess, but points out you can have varying opens depending on what the table does strategy wise.

Bear in mind that you can also keep a little cash set aside (and even count the revenue for privates that you own in this total) to allow for minors and regionals starting without enough cash for track rights, the 2+2 train, and any terrain expenses in their home hex.

Once I've exceeded the revenue amount I'll get at the beginning of OR1a, I've been in the habit of setting aside a little hand cash to cover the difference as I float a minor or regional. That way, I know not to use it to start another regional.

That said, there's no harm in putting extra cash in a minor when you're bidding - that money will shorten the time it takes to save up for a level 3 train

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.