Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it applied before or after energy shields are applied?

Put another way, do the first two hits on a blue nexus use up the energy shield (for the round), or do the agents have to score 3+hits on a single roll to even start whittling down the shield...and then 3+ hits on each roll to do any damage once the shield is gone for the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The number of HITS is reduced (if you are using human weapons, alien weapons ignore the alien armour power) before the Defence roll, even before the energy shield defence, so the first two HITS are automatically ignored.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
The number of HITS is reduced (if you are using human weapons, alien weapons ignore the alien armour power) before the Defence roll, even before the energy shield defence, so the first two HITS are automatically ignored.

Good grief. I already feared the Nexus way more than the Xeno-beast, but now I'm going to have nightmares.

You're going to release an expansion that's nothing but duplicate copies of FMJ Bullets, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? In my last game I actually had more problems downing a green xeno alpha (due to Expert) then the Nexus. Ok, he absorbs 2 hits up front in the first attack and 1 up fron in any other. But at least it does only defend on Shields and does not regenerate. Hulk had fun with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're talking about the green nexus. Which is challenging, but I can handle it.

The BLUE Nexus (mission 7), however, totally wiped all agents in the matrix out. Losing the first TWO hits of any attack, BEFORE the energy shield activates is brutal. Granted, nobody had an alien weapon (which would have made it possible to win). Agents took out about half of its health before they all died.

Of course, it probably didn't help that soon after entering the matrix, 2 blue Xeno-Alphas showed up in there, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
Sounds like you're talking about the green nexus. Which is challenging, but I can handle it.

The BLUE Nexus (mission 7), however, totally wiped all agents in the matrix out. Losing the first TWO hits of any attack, BEFORE the energy shield activates is brutal. Granted, nobody had an alien weapon (which would have made it possible to win). Agents took out about half of its health before they all died.

Of course, it probably didn't help that soon after entering the matrix, 2 blue Xeno-Alphas showed up in there, too.

That's the mission where you
Spoiler (click to reveal)
kidnap the Xeno Grey
right?

I didn't have much problems with the Nexus since we got lucky with the EMP rolls. Most of the time it was down and we just ignored it and moved past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
The BLUE Nexus (mission 7), however, totally wiped all agents in the matrix out.

Yeah, the blue Nexus is obscene. Not only is he almost impossible to damage, but if your agents are near one another he can easily kill the entire party with a single activation. That upgrade from blue to red hit dice is brutal.

For my second-to-final turn playing through Mission 5, a blue Nexus was teleported next to the blue Xeno-grey (both were hidden behind a hill, completely out of LOS from my agents). I figured, oh well, no problem. Then on the final turn all blue aliens were activated, and the first one to go was an Aracnos who dragged my Hulk into LOS of the Nexus and Xeno-grey but a couple areas away.

And wow was that ever painful. Somehow the Hulk (and the rest of the team within 1 area) survived, but it was literally down to one defense roll for two of them thanks to that darn area damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

We are having tons of fun with this game lately! However, I cannot locate the rule that says alien weapons ignore alien armor. Where is that stated in the rules? Or is this a FAQ addition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
We are having tons of fun with this game lately! However, I cannot locate the rule that says alien weapons ignore alien armor. Where is that stated in the rules? Or is this a FAQ addition?

There's no rule; this is part of the Nexus' unique abilities (Agent S is not referring to energy armor, but the Alien Armor ability on the Nexus card). In the defense ability section of the card (very bottom strip), the Blue Nexus lists "Alien Armor 2", and since there is no bolt next to it we know that the ability is always active when the Nexus is defending. The specifics of Alien Armor are defined in the right-hand panel:

"Alien Armor 2: All human weapons inflict -2 HIT"

"Human weapons" is not a defined keyword in the rules, but it is a phrase that pops up in several places in the rulebook (for instance, "Each human ranged weapon uses ammunition" and "GD scientists are learning how to interface alien technology with human weapons. This means agents may be equipped with Alien Weapons", both on page 24), allowing us to infer that a "human weapon" is any weapon not explicitly marked as an Alien weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
drasher25 wrote:

There's no rule; this is part of the Nexus' unique abilities (Agent S is not referring to energy armor, but the Alien Armor ability on the Nexus card). In the defense ability section of the card (very bottom strip), the Blue Nexus lists "Alien Armor 2", and since there is no bolt next to it we know that the ability is always active when the Nexus is defending. The specifics of Alien Armor are defined in the right-hand panel:

"Alien Armor 2: All human weapons inflict -2 HIT"

"Human weapons" is not a defined keyword in the rules, but it is a phrase that pops up in several places in the rulebook (for instance, "Each human ranged weapon uses ammunition" and "GD scientists are learning how to interface alien technology with human weapons. This means agents may be equipped with Alien Weapons", both on page 24), allowing us to infer that a "human weapon" is any weapon not explicitly marked as an Alien weapon.

Ah, thank you for the explanation. The rule is laid out less explicitly than I would like (easy to miss in the midst of gameplay), but that makes sense! Of course, the only alien weapon we've found in our campaign thus far is the jazzed up healbot, so I can't unleash this revelation just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.