Subject: OCTGN - Unreleased Content rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggzvgwim64pwcsv/Sets.rar

Here I made a little set of things that was spoiled in previews for those who are keen to try it out but too lazy to create this set themselves.

To install, just copy the kinky named "fb67c792-ecb9-4f06-b462-625ba22dfb2a" folder into the Documents\OCTGN\GameDatabase\a21af4e8-be4b-4cda-a6b6-534f9717391f\Sets.

This set currently contains:

Heroes:
Celeborn

Allies:
Bilbo Baggins
Elrond
Gwaihir
Naith Guide

Attachments:
Captain of Gondor
Fellowship of the Ring
Leaf Brooch
Wingfoot

Events:
Follow Me!
Noiseless Movement
The Tree People

I'll be updating it as more suitable cards spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't this go against FFG's wishes for a delay in putting new sets into OCTGN? I'd say this is fine for personal use, but not for distribution.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe it's only Lackey that adheres to that delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see how this isn't a personal use. People make proxies of this images IRL, this is the same, just not everyone can/wants to tinker with OCTGN sets, so I solved that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely against FFG's rules.

Specifically you distributing the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
This definitely against FFG's rules.

Specifically you distributing the file.
Then let them do something about it. I posted the same thread on FFG forums and they done nothing. Let them care about their stuff, will ya?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is that none of us want FFG to do anything about OCTGN. As it stands, FFG has been generously tolerant with having their card games on OCTGN in the first place. We've done our best with trying to be respectful by delaying new content until 6 months after release. This hopefully encourages users to continue to buy the physical cards instead of simply using OCTGN for free. The fear is that if we start publicly releasing cards at or before they reach retail, that gives FFG and their legal team more of an incentive to simply shut the whole thing down with a cease and desist. And that would be terrible for everybody. My personal experience with OCTGN is that it helps foster a great community, and it would be a shame for it to go away.

So, while you're more than welcome to create your own card sets, and even share them with your personal friends... I wouldn't recommend publicly broadcasting your sets of FFG cards, then egg them on to do something about it. You might end up getting what you asked for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally OK if this is against their rules and I'll get punished for it.
But if they don't - why the hell not?

This is but a crops and I can't see how few random cards from UNRELEASED set will prevent anyone from buying them? They can't buy it yet in the first place even if they wished to, lol.

The whole thingy about OCTGN is simple - those who want to buy LOTR will buy it regardless. Those who don't - would use OCTGN instead. For me - I was playing LOTR long before the OCTGN recieved support for the game. And now I use OCTGN to play LOTR in the places where I have no access to my physical cards or when it's too late to pull out real cards at home. (or to play it multiplayer, because I can't find anybody to play it with around where I live)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

Did you even read Gecko's comment? If you get punished for it, we all get punished. Go ahead and make all the cards you want, just dont distribute them in a public forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:

Did you even read Gecko's comment? If you get punished for it, we all get punished. Go ahead and make all the cards you want, just dont distribute them in a public forum.
Did you read mine? I can't hurt their sales with stuff they're not selling at the moment. Logics, my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuriy, it doesn't matter what you think about FFG's reasoning or logic. They've made a request of the online community. It allows these programs and sites to operate--to the community's benefit--and still gives FFG a period of exclusivity where the only cards available are their physical copies. FFG considers this fair. The community needs to respect that, or the programs and sites are going to become a problem that they need to look at again, perhaps with an outcome that isn't as favourable for us.

Whether they're previews of unreleased cards, scans of an unreleased set, or scans of a set that has just been released, they're all off-limits. There's nothing special about the fact that these are previews.

Your community spirit in sharing these is actually commendable, but it's misguided. You should respect FFG's wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I see this official statement of FFG you're talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Can I see this official statement of FFG you're talking about?

I don't know if their request to OCTGN was published on the Web or not, but the OCTGN installation instructions mention their deliberate six-month delay between when the new cards are released and when they will be added to OCTGN. So it's clear enough what the OCTGN makers want everyone to do, and that is to wait until six months FFG cards are officially released.

Is that enough to convince you that everyone who's saying "Wait six months" has a valid point? (And you can add me to the "Wait six months" chorus, by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the link I can see the policy by which they release card images, I don't see a single word about third parties like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
By the link I can see the policy by which they release card images, I don't see a single word about third parties like me.

Well, I guess since your name isn't mentioned in an official FFG press release broadcast straight onto your laptop, you can do whatever the hell you want!

Seriously, you know what FFG wants here. Either do it, or just admit you don't give a shit about their policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give. Me. A link. To their. Official. Statement. On. This. Matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

I don't think FFG has a documented view on this. It needs to live in the grey areas.

If FFG acknowledges OCTGN and what they do, then they also have to obligation to shut it down, or anyone can come along and make a clone, and it becomes harder for FFG to selectively enforce their trademarks, if it's not the same response to everyone.

So, to avoid this situation, FFG pretends that this isn't really happening, and the OCTGN developer has found a happy middle ground where FGG doesn't come banging at the door.

And the system is in perfect harmony right now.

What people are afraid of is your creating disharmony, which may force FFG to do something that neither FFG or the OCTGN community wants to happen, but will happen so that FFG can protect itself legally from future events.

Sometimes you just have to be happy knowing some things, without finding them written down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your complaint would be true if I had released full image packs for released sets that haven't lived for six months yet. But this is small pack of random player cards that haven't even been released yet. I don't think it can hurt anybody, unless FFG representative contacts me and commands to take it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

For the love of the Maiar... There's a term for people who insist on being right even when EVERYONE ELSE argues otherwise.

That said... I don't just post to troll. The thread you are looking for is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684887/play-online-via-lacke...

Specifically,

bootylactin wrote:
Well that was fun while it lasted...

I've got some good and (mostly) bad news. The good news is that the plugin can stay available to the public. The bad news is that any card released within the last 6 months has to have it's game text obscured. Which means I can't publicly provide pristine card images until the following dates:

Core Set: October 20, 2011
Hunt for Gollumn: January 21, 2012
Conflict at the Carrock: February 4, 2012
Massing at Osgiliath: February 4, 2012

Now, Jon (the OP) didn't actually post a copy of the letter/communication he received from FFG, but I think it's safe to say he didn't make it up. But if you really have to see it to believe it, I guess you could contact him and ask for a copy of whatever FFG sent him.

Bottom line, this is the precedent to which everyone on this thread is referring. I would imagine if you hunt further you could find something more explicit that came out at a later date; but this is where it started, and the first time FFG actually contacted someone specifically about these types of online games. (I remembered that because I've been an active user on these boards since the LotR card game was released, and was therefore around when this question first came up.)

And what you keep not seeming to get is that it doesn't matter what YOU think or how it affects YOU. If FFG feels that you posting these files to a public forum is a violation of what they deem acceptable (which I think pretty clearly it is), they don't need anyone's permission to tell OCTGN, Lackey and any other sites to immediately cease all FFG support of their programs. Now, that would be extreme and unlikely, but why take a chance? You are doing something FFG doesn't want you to do; why bait them on it and dare them to do something about it, other than to be stubborn? (And given that you are standing 100% alone on this, you ARE being stubborn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.