28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Complex strategy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Popa
msg tools
Hi there, fellow geeks! I was wondering if you could help me find a complex strategy game.

I am searching for a game like Risk, but more complex. Like Conquest of the Empire, which adds naval units, horsemen, cannons, cities, roads etc.

It shall have diplomacy, troops, territories ( that's why strategy games like Dominion or Puerto Rico are excluded ) but it can also lack dice rolling ( strategy is the most important thing for me, and the more complex the strategy is, the better ).

So far: ( V means that I might buy it, X means that I currently don't plan on buying it)

1Risk 2011 edition (V)

2Conquest of the Empire (V)

3Diplomacy (V, I heard that it's pretty good)

4VIKTORY II (V, also heard it's pretty good)

5Imperial 2030 (V)

A few acres of snow (X, only 2 players)

Risk 2210 AD (X, I heard that it involves more luck, but I am not sure about it)

Game of Thrones (X, not really appealed by the theme, but if you guys tell me that it's worth it.. then I'll think about it!)

Nexus Ops (X, not really appealed by the theme, but if you guys tell me that it's worth it.. then I'll think about it!)

Twilight Struggle (X, only 2 players, but if I had to choose between this and 'A few acres of snow', 'A few acres of snow' would've been it).

So, what do you guys recommend me? Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be from the list. Anything helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the list you wrote down, I would choose Nexus ops as the next step after Risk. It has everything you want in a short playing time and an attractive package.

If you want to try something at the edge of your comfort zone, I would dare to suggest Imperial 2030: it has territories and troops, can have dirty diplomacy (your troops may not even stay your troops), but I must add that you must pass on it, if you do not want an economical aspect or if your group does not like backstabbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Popa
msg tools
Thanks! Added Imperial 2030 on my list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theodor12989 wrote:

Game of Thrones (X, not really appealed by the theme, but if you guys tell me that it's worth it.. then I'll think about it!)

Yes, it is worth it.
If you don't like the theme, because it is based on a fantasy series, I can assure you that there is actually no single element of fantasy (no magic, no dragons etc.) in this game.
It has all the elements you are looking for, except that it is located in George Martin's world instead of our world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game of thrones is close to what you want - it's 3 hours and has much more negotiation and complex strategy than Risk. (I hate it's guts as I'd rather play a simpler and more direct Diplomacy, but that takes 8+ hours. So ignore my opinion and take a look at AGoT)

If you're after dudes on a map games:
- Nexus Ops is said to be the best "classic" dudes on a map game (the best refinement of Risk). Again subjective me finds FFG edition ugly and tries to get AH edition.
- Cyclades. It's auction + DoaM. Sounds lame, yet auctions must be very cutthroat and then it's great. Probably needs Hades expansion to make the game a bit less chaotic and more agressive. Diplomacy is of "hey we need to stop that guy quick" type. As in most of these games.
There's also Kemet which is simalat to Cylades and is kinda more agressive but instead of auctions there's engine building (so if you enjoy this it's okay, I don't)
- Chaos in the old world. Asymmetrical area control + doam. Pretty good, but needs 4 players exactly. or 5 with expansion.

Other games:
- Imperial is great, but needs a specific mind frame (I would suggest Imperial over Imperial 2030, yes the map is uglier, but the game is tenser). It's a stock market game (meaning emergent partnerships) with fighting between "companies". Very unique and great if you have a group which can devote to it. Needs 10+ plays to shine. It's kinda a cross between Diplomacy and 18xx.
- Diplomacy. Great great great and nearly impossible to get to the table. But oh man is it an extraordinary game. So usually it's kinda like this: play it online, much more manageable (one day per turn). If you want to get something similar on the table, then aGoT, or something with no fighting but a lot of backstabbing like Lifeboats or Intrigue.
- Viktory II - have no idea, but reviews are good. Sounds pretty classic DoaM style game.
- Twillight Stuggle is a GREAT game as it's constant tug of war since the first turn. Tension is there all the way. But it's long. You might check other wargames as well.

Understand that diplomacy might not be in the rules, but emergent. You can play Eclipse (emprie building + some fighting) with a lot of talk or none. I like more, but this means a proper group.
- Cyclades and CitoW demand that players keep each others in check, so there's that. Kemet has less of it (engine building)
- Diplomacy in as rich in negotiation as it gets. But it's long.
- Imperial has a lot of partnerships, though the game may be loud or silent. There is the official negotiation variant though (but could be a lot to just jump into it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add one more to the list: you could print yourself a copy of Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is awesome--it's something like fifty years old--but it takes a long time and is very, very hard to actually play unless you're at a convention.

Imperial 2030 might be a good bet for you.

Eclipse and Clash of Cultures might be worth looking at. I agree with the poster who points out that diplomacy can be emergent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for eclipse

plays 2-6 (+ with expansion)
has exploration, multiple units, technology, economics, diplomacy, and territories.

but it is a space theme, so not sure if your are into that.
And there is some dice rolling for combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake
msg tools
Look into City of Remnants, its one of my favorites. The strategy is surprisingly deep and the asymmetry of the factions makes for a lot of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mincey
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about one of the COIN games - Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be exactly what you are thing of, but El Grande was the game to replace RISK for me. And it is still one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some more diplomacy, buy Diplomacy. But only if you will play with 7 players. It's good. I'm not sure if you want risk though. Not sure what you're referring to by 2011 edition (maybe legacy?), but I don't think that it's that much more "advanced" either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is a game of that, diplomacy. The units on the map are simply means to an end. It really is all about the actual negotiation.

I would recommend Viktory II as a good replacement for Risk. It's always different and it's "economy" is strategic and related directly to the military forces. It's a game that encourages attacking and can be played quickly by a few or become an epic battle with up to eight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Luchin
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
Get Imperial 2030. Fairly simple rules, no luck, and very tricky strategy. I find it much better than the original Imperial. A few small rule tweaks and a more open map makes a big difference. This is the game we bring out when we feel like playing something epic but can be finished in 2-3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Kaisth
United States
Princeton Junction
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars would have everything you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for COIN series. I only have A Distant Plain but I think it ticks all your boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) fits your criteria extremely well. Maybe the theme doesn't appeal to you, but you should give it a shot for the gameplay.

Playing Diplomacy online to see if you like it is also a great idea - the game is fantastic, but not everyone enjoys it and it's difficult to play face-to-face because it takes a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you like, consider Axis & Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Conquest of the Empire is the one that I'd recommend wholeheartedly. The Eagle Games version is the one that I've played, and contains rules for TWO games. The second one (Conquest II) REALLY beefs it up a notch!

Imperial 2030 is a game that I've been researching for purchase. Frankly, it looks just plain awesome, too. If you're mainly into the conflict end of things, this might fall a bit short of Conquest, but the economic/political aspect of Imperial is very intriguing.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Imperial 2030: keep in mind that it is not a war game. It's not a game about world conquest, fighting Wars, etc. The designer repeatedly says this. It is an economic game first and foremost. Your goal is to be richest investor at the end of the game. You're investing in countries, manipulating them to make you the most money, and dumping them when it's more profitable to do so. It's not my army attacks your army and I'm going to conquer the world. You don't control a particular army or a particular country for that matter. You're just influencing the actions of counties over the course of the game. A particular country will be influenced by different players over the course of the ebbs and flows of the game. To play this game correctly, you have to replace your warmonger helmet with your financial investor derby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The granddaddy, and still the best, IMO, is Civilization, along with Advanced Civilization (which is really advanced, so much as a rules tweaking/balancing, and a few new things.

- It shall have diplomacy, ...Check! And in spades. Generally comes out most during trades, and agreeing on where to locate/move troops.
troops,check! See above.

- territories ( that's why strategy games like Dominion or Puerto Rico are excluded )lots of territories, each territory has some meaning (usually just population support, but also city sites)

- but it can also lack dice rolling ( strategy is the most important thing for me, and the more complex the strategy is, the better ). Check. No dice at all. Combat is fairly uncommon, actually, but it's fast and simple.

In addition, you start with essentially a stone age (ok, early bronze age) civilization, and gain technologies as you advance, building your empire.

The original is out of print, but there's Civilization: The Expansion Project that is an open source version (the rules are available here on BGG at the link). The maps and counters can be purchased online through various outlets. My favorite is camelotgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you've said, I'll have to throw my votes in for A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), Eclipse, and Axis & Allies

A Game of Thrones is an excellent game, very heavy on Strategy and Diplomacy. Aside from some of the cards almost everything in the game comes down to predicting what people will do, making deals, and careful planning.

Eclipse is a great Space 4x, and has both some built-in diplomacy as well as emergent diplomacy. Combat is lots of fun, although the dice can make it swingy.

Axis and Allies is an older game but quite good. Team based, of course, which can add some great factors in (although there isn't really diplomacy per se). One of those games I haven't gotten to play all that many times but have enjoyed quite a bit every time I got the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1812: Invasion of Canada?

Shut Up and Sit Down did a stellar review:

Really sounds like your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay B
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
And there's a 1776 version with the same mechanics as 1812...

It depends on a lot of factors honestly, if you like shorter games, then 1812 or 1776 could be really good for that but it is rather dicey. Eight minute empires is also a decent short game that has a lot of strategy, but not quite a war game, more of a point salad type.

If your fine with longer games then eclipse is great, esp. with the expansion. Eclipse can also play 2 to 6 players pretty well unlike most good strategy games. Diplomacy is the best 7 player strategy game but if you reduce the number of players it gets proportionately shorter but also less fun. I'd say for your first time playing dip you should do a 7 player so you know how good the game can actually be. A game of thrones second edition is probably the best blend of what you are asking for. The base game of agot should be played 6 player or do the dance with dragons expansion and do 4. A game of thrones is a bit of a long game(3-4 hours) but not as bad as diplomacy(7-10 hours). It does have a good blend of scheming and plotting for the win diplomatically so if times not a Hangup go for agot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.