Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had 6 games with a print and play version (by the way we're using lego bricks for gems to save ourselves some printing and cutting), and I've still got a few queries about the powers.

1) Can you use the wild power to set the dice as a 6 (in order to have used the power in order to rotate the card, but where you actually want it to be a six?)

2) Raid! states ( in the PnP rules) "You may take one gem from the table!" Is this just from the central pile, or is this also allowing taking from your opponents piles?

3) If you are going to use a 6 in your colour for its Draw/Swap/Raid power can you still use it to form part of a set?

E.g You roll three sixes, one in your colour, you've already got the Draw power, can you use the three sixes to gain some amethysts as well as using the six in your colour to allow you to use the Draw power? Or do any sixes that you choose to use to activate powers get set aside and are not able to be used as part of any gem acquisition set?

In the rules only the Wild power tells you to set it aside, which suggests that you can still have sixes used for the other powers also helping to form sets to acquire gems the 'normal' way.

Thanks for the help, we've enjoyed the games we've played but would like to be sure we've been playing correctly.

Edit
Given the discussion below I'll add in a fourth question

4)Are re-rolls of sixes optional or compulsory? (My question three above assumed they were optional)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not allowed to have sets of sixes...they are mandatory re-rolls even if you are out of free re-rolls (see rule 4 under Section 4 "playing the game").

ADDED: Okay, I probably misread that May certainly suggests you don't have to re-roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
You are not allowed to have sets of sixes...they are mandatory re-rolls even if you are out of free re-rolls (see rule 4 under Section 4 "playing the game").

Hmmmmm... I read that differently... it reads, "4) If your roll a SIX you may ALWAYS reroll it, even if you used up your two rerolls."

The key word is "may", which means you can if you want to, but it's not mandatory.

(but I do agree that the rules are rather confusing, and need a bit of a re-write)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
garry_rice wrote:

Hmmmmm... I read that differently... it reads, "4) If your roll a SIX you may ALWAYS reroll it, even if you used up your two rerolls."

The key word is "may", which means you can if you want to, but it's not mandatory.

(but I do agree that the rules are rather confusing, and need a bit of a re-write)

I agree.

If the intent is that you must reroll a six then it really needs a rule re-write.

As written, the 'may' seems very clear that it's optional - I took the always to refer to the fact that you may still do the re-roll even if you've already had two re-rolls (always, as in, in all circumstances you may choose to do it), not to mean that you always must do it.

Edit: Given the designers comment (answering a different question about sixes) below I think it's clear that you may choose not to re-roll sixes (and in fact you must have a six in order to use their power so if you always had to re-roll them you'd never get to use the power of your coloured six)

GreyGnome wrote:
You can always reroll it, but you lose the ability to use your dwarf power if it is not on the 6 at the end of your turn. There will be time where rerolling it makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here to answer some questions!

1) 6s "MAY" be rerolled. You DO NOT have to re-roll them. In regards to using your power dice as a wild by keeping it a 6 just to advance in skill (rotate your card)is concerned. That is a legal move.

2) Raid can only be used to take a gem from the pool, not from another player. I will be clearer about this in the final rules.

3) Yes, your power die can be used to trigger a power and to gain gems from the table at the same time. This happens rarely, but is quite cool when it works out.

Thanks for the questions and i hope you are enjoying your time with the game. I also love your name (entwife)! Good stuff

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the official answer!

Great, we've been playing everything correctly (and I'm really glad Raid doesn't allow for stealing from another player)

We're really enjoying the game - my daughter (almost 10) and I had six 2 player games yesterday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:
In regards to using your power dice as a wild by keeping it a 6 just to advance in skill (rotate your card)is concerned. That is a legal move.

OK but you cannot use two powers in a row, right ?

Here is what I did last game : a 6 is rolled in my color, I use it as a wild to the 6 face and rotate the power card. Now I have access to the swap power and I use my 6 to steal a gem from my opponent.

He did not agree and convinced me that it was not legal, do you confirm ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.