Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Kickstarter campaign, I remember reading that the difficulty of the game was balanced around ideally having 6 characters, or roughly 12 player actions per game round. When playing with less than 6 players, it was recommended for some players to play more than one character. Otherwise, collectively the players may not have enough actions to complete their scenario objectives before time runs out on the Comet track.

Personally, in a heavily thematic game like SotLT, I perfer to play only one character. This allow me to "role-play" that character more effectively than if my focus is divided between two characters. I want to be the dashing archeologist or mysterious martial artist, not both at the same time. I suspect this is true for most people who like these thematic adventure games.

In a recent review (PAX Demo Review), I read there may be some rules included with the game to keep the difficulty balanced with less than 6 characters, such as giving each character more than two action tokens to start the game. I hope this is true, as it would be great to be able play a scenario with either 2-3 characters or 4-6 characters and have a fairly consistent level of difficulty.

For example, if 12 actions per round is the average, the number of actions could be balanced as follows:

Characters Actions per Character

Any thoughts or insights from EEG or others who have recently played the game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt!!!

Great Topic!!!
Yes indeed! We've been perfecting new ways to scale the game for different numbers of players just as you just said in your little table.. we will provide something similar to that... with different difficultly levels and possibilities... the number of actions taken would correlate to the Difficulty level.... because the number of actions are what make the Tomb Card and Tomb Phase occur... the number of actions will effect Difficulty and Balance for each different combination!

So that would be one way to scale the game... Audacity is another way we're looking at!
Depending on the number of starting audacity... it can actually play a pretty big effect on the player's success!

But yes... the Actions are probably one of the biggest ways for us to scale difficulty based on amount of players...

Solo player would have extra actions galore AND would be recommended to use "The Most Adventurous Gamer in the World" Special Solo Character with SideKick Cards to help get through the tomb!

There's also a new and improved Player Reward system that I'll be revealing SOON!

These are all major things that help improve the game overall and help make the experience that much better!!!

I agree with you WHOLE-heartedly... I like to Role Play my character so I really love to have the chance to play one character at a time... but Playing more than One character is totally acceptable in this game and is encouraged if you're the kind of gamer who wants to do that!

Any and all suggestions towards this is VERY accepted! So please feel free to comment here about anything!

Thanks alot!

Chris

mvettemagred wrote:
During the Kickstarter campaign, I remember reading that the difficulty of the game was balanced around ideally having 6 characters, or roughly 12 player actions per game round. When playing with less than 6 players, it was recommended for some players to play more than one character. Otherwise, collectively the players may not have enough actions to complete their scenario objectives before time runs out on the Comet track.

Personally, in a heavily thematic game like SotLT, I perfer to play only one character. This allow me to "role-play" that character more effectively than if my focus is divided between two characters. I want to be the dashing archeologist or mysterious martial artist, not both at the same time. I suspect this is true for most people who like these thematic adventure games.

In a recent review (PAX Demo Review), I read there may be some rules included with the game to keep the difficulty balanced with less than 6 characters, such as giving each character more than two action tokens to start the game. I hope this is true, as it would be great to be able play a scenario with either 2-3 characters or 4-6 characters and have a fairly consistent level of difficulty.

For example, if 12 actions per round is the average, the number of actions could be balanced as follows:

Characters Actions per Character

Any thoughts or insights from EEG or others who have recently played the game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that all sounds really great! Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. This game can't arrive soon enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.