Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Boomer of the Week - #2 - Public Reveal Erin! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BotW [+] [View All]
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
mbmbmb
Boomer of the Week - #2 - Public Reveal Erin!

She's everyone's favorite redhead, she's someone I desire playing with most, she's a 2R1B sweetheart, she may be my future wife, she's...

Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I don't flirt. I just say what I want." -JJ
badge
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." -Cordelia
mbmbmbmbmb

ErintheRed wrote:
Aww thanks Shawna for picking me! And thanks Nat for starting this up. I love our little community and since I haven’t had time to play many games for a while now it’ll be really nice for me to get to know a bit more about the newer players when they get picked.

Like I said on Shawna’s Boomer of the week, my gaming story is fairly similar to hers. I’ve loved board games for as long as I can remember. I remember begging my dad to buy me so many games from the store when I was a kid. We still have all of them, but they’re all party or trivia games. Additionally, I would try every traditional card game that I had someone willing to teach me and even bought a book to teach myself some that looked cool. Every holiday we’d go to my grandparent’s and play cards. When my brother and I were younger we’d play Rinky Dink (like a slightly more complicated Crazy Eights), then we moved on to Euchre, and then to Pinochle with a little Spades in there somewhere. I still play these games on family vacations.

Given my fascination with and love for playing games, it should be no surprise that when I got my first taste of the hobby I was ecstatic. My junior year of college I lived on an Honors floor in a dorm and we had a large group of people that would get together and hang out. I can’t remember the specifics, but some of my guy friends got into Mafia and taught us all how to play it and we got pretty into it for a while there (until tensions routinely got a bit too high, heh). When they mentioned having played a board game I hadn’t heard of before called Munchkin, I insisted they let me know the next time they were going to play. I think I actually ended up playing Power Grid before I got to play Munchkin (or Settlers even) and I loved it! …which is fairly funny given how sceptic I was when they were explaining the game to me because it sounded boring, heh (I learned early on not to judge a game by its theme!)

I was too busy with school to play too many games, but did play some more with my guy friends and when they mentioned BGG I bookmarked it, but didn’t do anything with it until after I graduated and decided to officially start my own game collection. For about a year I only used BGG as a reference, but when I got into 2R1B PBFs I got interested in other areas of the website and now I spend way too much time on here.

mb Icebreaker Questions: mb

1) How did you get into 2R1B?
I barely missed meeting Alan and Sean at GenCon 2012 as I ended up having to leave early, but luckily I still had Caitlin to tell me all about it and get me into it . I remember I had her tell me all about the game and made her recount the fun games and moments she had playing in real life until I was finally able to get a group together to play. She was also the one that helped convince me to play my first PBF game too.

2) What was your first 2R1B PBF and Role?
2R1B PBF#4: Love and Hate - Main Thread - Game Over - Blue and Moby Win!: I was the Bomber (of course..)

I remember this game quite fondly as it had everything I love in a 2R game: Cait and I stressing out together, Clyde being confused and messing things up, and elaborate plans to trick people that end up failing anyways.

First off, the roles were President/Bomber, Doctor/Engineer, Nazis, and Ahab, Moby, Wife, and Mistress so I only had two actual teammates in the entire game. On top of that there were no color shares. Round One I’m freaking out as it’s my first game, I’m Bomber, and there aren’t any color shares. I decide to try and bluff one of Moby/Ahab and say I’m inclined to work with Reds which gets Caitlin to offer a card share with me which I accept, convinced that she won’t be on my team and will out me to everyone and that I will have basically lost the game in the very first round. Luckily, there were no spies in the game so she ended up being my Nazi and we worked together for almost the entire game while still trying to bluff that I was a grey. Round Two she’s sent to the other room so I just kind of sat there and didn’t do much that round. Round Three she comes back and tells me that Jarek is our Engineer and in the other room with Emme as leader who she is pretty sure is President. Figuring Emme will either stay put with Jarek or send herself and another Blue from the room, we decide to send ourselves so we can take leadership and I can get the Bomb armed.. except she does the unthinkable and sends herself along with Jarek as a hostage! At this point we know we’ve pretty much lost as I’ll have to be sent over Round 5 and Emme will just send herself from the room regardless, but Caitlin and I don’t want to give up and I spent way too much time that night hatching an elaborate plan to trick Emme which hinges on the fact that nobody has seen or knows mfl134’s role (he was Moby). We send me to the other room for Round 5 where I find that Emme is convinced Jarek is the Bomber. I then whisper Jarek telling him that I’m going to pretend to be Moby and that he has to co-reveal with me without bringing much attention to it and then he has to co-reveal with Emme so she can see that he’s not the Bomber and might reconsider sending herself from the room, but he has to make it look like an accident. I go through a song and dance talking about how Red sent me over here promising I’d be in place for me to win and try to get Jarek to co-reveal with me to see his role so I can know if they were lying to me or not. Eventually, he “takes pity” on me and co-reveals with me. Then he starts teasing Emme, offering her co-reveals, but rescinding them before she has a chance to accept which drives her mad. She decides to leave an open offer to him so that when he goes to offer her a co-reveal, he is actually accepting her proposal and when he does just that she is pretty much like this about it:

…but then she sees that Jarek is actually the Engineer which pretty much blows her mind. In the end, she kept her original transfer orders which lost us the game, but it was pretty fulfilling to see her reaction all the same. Great game.

3) What is your favorite 2R1B PBF that you have ever played in and why?
Oh boy. It’s hard to tell between #18 Choose Your Own Boomerang or #42 The Evil Within, but I think I’ll go with the first. The pregame survey that read our values/personality to assign us a role, the in-game prompts and decisions that directly affected the game, the fear, the drama, the mystery, and the last round when I got to band together and work with the only other humans in my room (Vanderscamp and Slathe), regardless of team, and we had our epic last stand complete with badass one liners. I was completely absorbed in the game for the entire week and it was a ton of fun.

4) What is your favorite/least favorite 2R1B PBF Role and why?
Favorite: I pretty much consider Doctor/Engineer, Spy, and Negotiator standards in my games. Aside from that I really have a lot of fun with Mummy and Mimes and still find them a lot of fun in PBF.

Least Favorite: Hot Potato, then probably Zombie. While Hot Potato can work out well in real life where things are more chaotic and not everyone sees everything that happens, if it was never used in another PBF game I’d be happy. Same pretty much goes for Zombie except we always have a debate about how the game should be played afterwards. I think the only game they really worked in was PBF #18 Choose Your Own Boom since it was unexpected game events that was infecting us, not one person.

5) Red, Blue, or Other?
While the Powers that Be seem to almost always make me Red/Bomber, I’m going to go with other. Not all of them work as well as others (particularly on PBF), but I like the freedom that being a good Grey/other role grants me both in who I show my card to and negotiation.

As an aside, I’ll have somewhat limited internet time, but will answer all questions so please just be patient with me

Congratulations Erin for being this week's "Boomer of the Week!" mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Erin!!

What is the best vacation you can imagine?

If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

What is your earliest memory?

What was your favorite subject in school?

If you had to, could you saw off your partner's leg to save them?

What's your favorite number?

What is your favorite Holiday?

Would you rather be liked or be respected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pancakes or Waffles?

If you could meet any author living or dead who would it be and why?

What is your favorite movie (or at least in your top ten)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Erin! kiss

What is your favorite Disney...(not necessarily from the same movie):

Princess?

Prince?

Sidekick?

Mentor?

Villain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Niska
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:
Itai wrote:
Another question: who will you choose as next week Boomer of the week ?

Its a surprise !
shawnad2006 wrote:

Nobody is actually surprised!

Congratulations, Erin! I'll be back with questions when I can think of any that don't suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the most exotic location you have ever been to?

If you could be any animal for a week, what animal would it be?

If you were given a choice to remain as that animal for the rest of your life, would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
What is the best vacation you can imagine?

Given that the only countries abroad I've been to are Africa and Canada, I'd be happy to vacation most places outside of the country. I think it would be a toss up between touring Europe or New Zealand/Australia. Europe vacation would definitely have to include a trip to Ireland as I would love to get an authentic Irish Claddagh ring someday.

shawnad2006 wrote:
If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I've thought long and hard about this before and think I've come up with the perfect superpower... shapeshifting! But not just into different human or animal forms, I want enough control so that I can alter my density and stuff so that if I turn into a fly and someone steps on me, I won't actually get squished. Really, all I want to do is be able to fly, but if I were to do so as a person, I'd probably draw all sorts of attention and cause problems so I think this is a great compromise.

shawnad2006 wrote:
What is your earliest memory?

It's either putting on my dad's shoes (though we have a picture of this so I'm not sure if I've made up the memory) or when my brother was born. I don't remember much about when my brother was born, but I do remember being confused when my parents left without my grandma and I. We met them at the hospital and I remember I had to put on an apron and I think it was light yellow with some flower pattern on it. I remember being confused as to why I had to wear an apron and wondering if he was going to be all gross when I went to handle him. That's about all I remember. I was 3.

shawnad2006 wrote:
What was your favorite subject in school?

My favorite subject in high school was math. My favorite subject in college was biology. I didn't have a good experience with my biology class in high school otherwise it probably would have been my favorite subject then. Math and I had a falling out in college when I took Honors Calc II. Ugh.

shawnad2006 wrote:
If you had to, could you saw off your partner's leg to save them?

Oh goodness. This is Talus-level, Evil Within stuff right here . I like to think that I could, but not if they were fighting me. I think they'd have to be pleading with me to do it for me to be able to work up the courage to do so.

shawnad2006 wrote:
What's your favorite number?

2!

shawnad2006 wrote:
What is your favorite Holiday?

I'd say Christmas, followed somewhat closely by Thanksgiving. I like spending time with family and eating good, and appreciating everything which I get to do for both holidays.. Christmas just comes with lots of songs and awesome decorations!

shawnad2006 wrote:
Would you rather be liked or be respected?

I'd have to go with like. I take it way too personal if/when someone doesn't like me. I get that not everyone gets along, but if someone actively dislikes me it makes me feel like I'm a horrible person when I try to go out of my way to treat everyone with a certain degree of kindness.

P.S. Thanks for the awesome intro. It made me laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
Pancakes or Waffles?

laugh At the risk of drawing Natalie's ire, I'd say waffles, but that's only because I don't ever eat them so it's pretty much always a treat when I order them. Really, it would go pancakes for home, waffles for a restaurant as I don't think I'd ever want to make waffles myself.

Machiavellian wrote:
If you could meet any author living or dead who would it be and why?

Oh boy. I haven't regularly read books for awhile now so it'd probably be a feat to come up with a legitimate book author as the question implies so I'm going to half cheat and say Joss Whedon. Not only has he written tons of scripts, but he's actually written some comic books! I feel like I wouldn't be able to say much of anything to him, but I would love to hug him or shake his hand or something.

Machiavellian wrote:
What is your favorite movie (or at least in your top ten)?

On a related note, I decided awhile ago that I'd consider Serenity my favorite movie for simplicity's sake (and I did watch it three times in the first week of me having bought it). Jurassic Park is probably a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:
Machiavellian wrote:
Pancakes or Waffles?

laugh At the risk of drawing Natalie's ire, I'd say waffles, but that's only because I don't ever eat them so it's pretty much always a treat when I order them. Really, it would go pancakes for home, waffles for a restaurant as I don't think I'd ever want to make waffles myself.

Excellent choice! Fixed that for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:
Congratulations Erin! kiss

Thanks Nat!

Natsume wrote:
What is your favorite Disney...(not necessarily from the same movie):

Princess?

Mulan is technically considered one even though she wasn't a Princess (nor did she become one) so I'd say her. If I was being nit-picky I think I'd say Merida now as she's AMAZING.

Natsume wrote:
Prince?

Aladdin!

Natsume wrote:
Sidekick?

Hmmmmmmmm. I really like Tito in Oliver and Company.

Natsume wrote:
Mentor?

Another head scratcher.. My first thought was Shang from Mulan just for the "Let's Get Down to Business" scene, but he wasn't so much a mentor... How about Timon and Pumbaa. Hakuna matata!

Natsume wrote:
Villain?

An impossible task to pick just one, but I'll go with Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective. Nothing can beat Vincent Price as a singing sewer rat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:
Jurassic Park is probably a close second.

Definitely one of the best movies I have seen in a movie theater. I still remember when I first saw it in the theaters and just being blown away by the whole thing. Then seeing it again, and again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:
Timon and Pumbaa. Hakuna matata!

I approve very very much of this!!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:

Natsume wrote:
Villain?

An impossible task to pick just one, but I'll go with Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective. Nothing can beat Vincent Price as a singing sewer rat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
What's the most exotic location you have ever been to?

Kenya! I spent a couple days at Lake Nakuru, one of the largest soda lakes home to thousands of flamingos and then spent the rest of the three weeks at the Masai Mara which is basically the part of the Serengeti that's in Kenya. Not only did I get to see tons of cool animals and interactions up close, but I got to ride a hot air balloon which is something I'd always wanted to do! The whole experience was eye-opening and surreal and doesn't even feel like it actually happened now.

Machiavellian wrote:
If you could be any animal for a week, what animal would it be?

Some type of bird.. maybe a pelagic seabird?

Machiavellian wrote:
If you were given a choice to remain as that animal for the rest of your life, would you?

Nah. I'd rather be multiple animals or a human as it can afford me much more variety in life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
ErintheRed wrote:
Jurassic Park is probably a close second.

Definitely one of the best movies I have seen in a movie theater. I still remember when I first saw it in the theaters and just being blown away by the whole thing. Then seeing it again, and again...

I was too young to see it in the movie theater when it first came out, but I've seen it twice in theaters since then. My boyfriend and I actually went to watch it in theaters (at a retro-movie special showing) for our one month anniversary, heh. I did, however, see The Lost World in theaters. I remember being scared/grossed out at the compy scene and looking at the projector itself so I wouldn't have to watch it. It looks like I was 8 then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Erinthered!

I'll think of a smarmy question for you later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Niska
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had to dye your hair in a color that is not red nor reddish for the rest of your life, what color would you choose?

Yeah, I can only come up with the mean ones. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Sentinels of the Multiverse character would you:

1. Want as a lover
2. Want to be best friends with
3. Want to never meet
4. Want as your boss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyWarpzone wrote:
If you had to dye your hair in a color that is not red nor reddish for the rest of your life, what color would you choose?

Yeah, I can only come up with the mean ones. =P

I've had nightmares about my hairdresser dying my hair blonde without my permission so I'm going to go with a nice, chocolate brown. Am I allowed to have some red highlights in it?? If so, yes please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slathe wrote:
Which Sentinels of the Multiverse character would you:

1. Want as a lover
2. Want to be best friends with
3. Want to never meet
4. Want as your boss

1. Ambuscade! He is a French action movie star after all. Scarred face or not, he's still got a rocking bod and with all of the gadgets he has, you know he has to have some fun ones for the bedroom.. whistle

2. Tachyon! She is a lady scientist, after all. Plus she seems pretty chill.

3. Spite. I don't know wtf is actually going on with him, but the art on the backside of his card is freaky as shit. Keep me faaaaaaaaar away from that macabre clusterfuck thank you very much.

4. I would say Tachyon but since I already picked her for my best friend, I guess I'll go with the Wraith. She's super smart, super accomplished, super rich, and super kick ass. She has to be the coolest boss ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
My only question: are you in love with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favorite role and role set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Niska
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the first band or musical act you fell in love with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I gave you $5.00, would you eat a piece of candy that was sitting on the street? If not, how many dollars would it take realistically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Candy from the Streets from the Candy Kingdom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.