Popular Tags: [View All]
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i just got this and i am already excited about my first game. It will be a four player game. On which map do you think it's best to play the first game? I have the American, the Mexican and the European map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats... this is an amzaing game... and yes, I'm bias. With 4p I would choose either the US or European map. I think the European map is more highly rated for 4p and will be a tighter game (American may be more open and potentially less contention).

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Yeti

Minneapolis
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe 100%.

Eastern USA is tricky with four, especially with new players. You need two people in the Northeast, and two elsewhere (South and Midwest?), and then as you expand, you hopefully bump into each other so the South and Midwest don't have it too easy. If the cube colors are a certain way though, it may not be balanced.

Mexico is great, but 4 players is a tad cutthroat and crowded. Better with 3.

Europe is great with 3 or 4 in my experience, and provides several different opportunities to win. It's my favorite because there are a lot of great opening locations (which change based on the cube distribution and opening Service Bounties). The Major Lines are the best balanced of the three boards, which makes a big difference as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Europe map is good with 4. USA is better with 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari-matti Uusitupa
Finland
Vimpeli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have same maps.I Think Europe is most suitable for 4 players. Thought, even with 2 players I like it more than the Mexico when playing with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4 players, Mexico is too small & Eastern US is a bit too big. Europe is the way to go. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe is my favorite map and it is at it's best with four.
Yet, for your first game I'm tempted to recommend the original/classic: Eastern US. Sure, it's best with 5 or 6 but you'll still have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Europe is the best map for four players. No exceptions.
Europe is adequate with 3 players.
Europe is harsh but playable with 5 players.
US East should never be played with less than 5 players except as learning game and you have no other maps available.
Mexico is as adequate as Europe with 3 players and far inferior to Europe with 4 players.
Play something else with only 2 players. If you insist on playing, the map you pick probably won't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
4 player Mexico is harsh and cutthroat, but will have a shorter playtime.

4 player Europe is a balanced experience.

4 player Eastern U.S. works if players are smart about competition, however a lone player controlling the northeastern corridor will win the game. Gameplay will be slightly longer than Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe is certainly the best map for 4p.

But to your first game I suggest the Eastern US, it would be easier learn how to play in a large map. But pay attention at the northeast corridor!

After the game let us know your experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, alright, alright. We just finished our first 4 player game on the European map! As i was reading the rulebook, i had a hard time imagining how the game would turn out and if the team could maintain a balance with the bonds while expanding. But the game turned out fine! We finished in a little less than 3 hours. The guys loved the game! In the beginning it seems confusing but after the first turn, the game rolled naturally. Personally i would prefer the game to be a little more cutthroat since you can't be easily cut off from reaching a city. And the initial bidding for the first player especially in the first rounds is kind of pointless. No one wanted to spend too much money to play first. I can only imagine a strong bidding only if a specific card turns out after the end of the turn. As for the result of the game, i won with just 2 points difference. One of the players played an aggressively expanding game and in the end he payed the price since he was left with 20 bonds and minimum income while the rest of us played more conservatily.
As always the first game left me with a few questions and i would appreciate some answers...

1) When you bid for the first player, who plays after the winning bidder? The rules don't mention anything. Does it go clockwise?

2) There are some tiles that show crossing tracks. Can such a tile be placed in such a way that one of the tracks is connected to empty space?

3) Take a look at the following picture from our game. Are the tiles next to Prague correctly placed.? One of the players wanted to place his tracks parallel to Prague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) According to the rules, play goes in clockwise order from the winner of the auction. This is, in our group's opinion, terrible.

We have house ruled this out by bidding for every position. It takes a little longer, but it really does address the problem of the second player benefiting for no cost when there are two great plays to be had. Furthermore, there is no real way to bid to go after another player (sometimes you want to see what they do first before committing yourself).

2) Crossing tiles may only be used to replace non-crossing tiles; they are placed as needed.

3) The tiles on the map are correctly placed. A player is never obligated to build into (or out of) any given city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.