Subject: Ending the game: 10 nuggets or 10 markers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Can you choose to try to end the game when you have 10 nuggets worth of gold in your bag (for example a mountain gold worth 6, a river gold worth 3, and a fur), or do you need to have 10 physical markers (worth much more than 10 nuggets)?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's yet another thing that I think I have misinterpreted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten markers (mountain gold, river gold, animal). Ten nuggets could make the game end after only two mining actions; way too quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
10 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Montgomery
United States
West Haven
Utah
flag msg tools
Can I take my tun back?
badge
Can I take my tun back?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you need to have 10 physical markers (worth much more than 10 nuggets, unless it it all fur whistle ).

Then as you mentioned "Try" it might not end the game if someone else can show that they have more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Miltenberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem.
In the first edition we had a fatal missprint on the player inventories stating you could end with 10 nuggets, which leads to very short games whith not much possibilities to go.

The correct rule is: You can only try to win the game when you've got at least 10 fur and/or gold tokens in your gold bag. If theses are 10 furs you have exact 10 gold but most times it won't be enough to win.

In the first edition we had additional a kingmaking problem in this situation as gold weighing always ended the game. Now it only ends the game if you are winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is 10 markers. 10 nuggets makes it so short! There would be no reason to buy things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blnichol wrote:
It is 10 markers. 10 nuggets makes it so short! There would be no reason to buy things!

Oh my goodness. We played this twice and were so frustrated with the game, thinking what was the point of it all when you could just go to the mine twice and win the game.

TEN MARKERS!!!!!!!!!

Now I'll have to give it another chance. I want to like it, but I'm glad this was identified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
blnichol wrote:

Oh my goodness. We played this twice and were so frustrated with the game, thinking what was the point of it all when you could just go to the mine twice and win the game.

TEN MARKERS!!!!!!!!!

Now I'll have to give it another chance. I want to like it, but I'm glad this was identified.

Doh!!! This happened to us tonight. Folks were not impressed. Looks like we'll have to issue a stay of execution and give it another go, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.