Subject: Brown Sheep only on baobab tree tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else feel that the Businessman who scores for brown sheep (5 points per sheep) is (and brown sheep as a planet item generally are) rather "underpowered"?

The only brown sheep in the game (as opposed to the white or beige) are located on tiles that also have a baobab tree (at least in my copy). That means that the maximum that this Businessman can score is 10 points. This is inferior to the Gardener who scores 7 points per baobab tree with a maximum of 14 points - and, of course, baobab trees are much more plentiful than baobab trees with a brown sheep on them. Therefore, your chances of getting two brown sheep are much lower than getting two baobab trees (and you score less points)!

Even when you take into account that you might also score 3 points for a brown sheep from the Little Prince, the scoring of brown sheep seems terribly mean (certainly when compared to baobab trees generally - after all, baobab tree tiles also contain other items that might score you points as well as the 14 you might get for two baobabs - and also white/beige sheep).

So, the design decision to put brown sheep only on baobab tree tiles seems to be a little odd (to me) and certainly results in the fact that I would always avoid taking the Businessman that scores for brown sheep if I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
You're right, it does seem like the Businessman is strictly worse as a character tile than the Gardener in every way -- except that brown sheep also score for the Prince, but that doesn't seem like it is enough.

But, I do find the Prince to be very powerful, so it is pretty likely that I'll take any Prince I can get, and will therefore want the Businessman if I see him.

Also there is only one Businessman, so it's one of the rarer, more niche cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.