Subject: Math trade results graph rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in, um, a few math trades. And recently I started looking at my Stage 4 check box page as a graph. And I've gone through many of my math trades, looking at the results and graphing where they fell on my "Stage Four Graph" for the relevant math trade.

Here are the non-scientific, rough results. (That is, I only checked less than 10% of the scores and scores of math trades I've been in before tiring of the exercise.)

Boxes without checks means no trade possible, of course.

Turquoise boxes: roughly 75% of my trades fell in the Turquoise boxes.
Green boxes: roughly 15% of my trades fell in the Green boxes.
Yellow boxes: roughly 8% of my trades fell in the Yellow boxes.
Checked boxes I didn't highlight: roughly 2% of my trades - my best results! - fell into this area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like the top line across is a low value item that you'd be willing to trade for anything. The bottom line is a high value item that you'd only trade for something juicy. And it looks like everything is sorted so that the further right you go, the juicier the game gets.

The further left you check means the less good of a trade you're willing to accept. The green and yellow trades are situations where you were willing to accept a worse trade, but ended up with a better result. That suggests that perhaps you're undervaluing your games too much. If you were a little more restrictive in your want list, you could probably shift your trades out of the blues into the green/yellow. Of course, I could be wrong and you'd just end up with fewer trades... but based on your image it looks like you're settling too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm happy with my rate of trading. I really don't like getting more than six trades in any given math trade, though it sometimes happens. I'm not in a hurry to trade anything.

But likewise, I'd rather trade *something* than get shut out, as I need that "new game" feeling!

To be honest, the graph could simply be handled by any one column - I just like the way it looks this way!

The point really is that pretty much everything I've traded (in the dozen trades I looked at that all had 6+ trades, so probably 80+ items) is in the bottom three rows.

Which confirms the math trade adage that you'll usually get the least desirable thing on your wantlist for any given item. So make sure the bottom thing you have checked is something you'd be happy with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! Thanks for doing that and sharing the results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.