Dune» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to convert the ruleset of this game to that of Rex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Papa
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought of getting the best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea but I don't understand why one would want to do so. This is the better game IMO. Good luck and good gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually trying to put together the players for a game of Dune-with-REX-backports right now. I went with the following changes:

- Start with Dune with Optional rules, but not Advanced rules.
- Cut the turn limit to 8.
- Use two spice blows per round (with an extra one in, I think, the Greater Flat, to bring it up to 16 = 2*8).
- Add +1 to movement rate, so base 2, Fremen 3, Ornithopters 4. (This is to help balance the shorter turn limit.)
- I printed up a custom deck of Treachery cards that more closely follows the distribution in REX (notably, Worthless cards are gone).
- I printed up a set of Betrayal cards modeled after the ones in REX.

I'm eager to see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Papa
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great Hope you put one up in greater detail here or in the files section once your'e satisfied with changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the biggest rules differences in Rex are:
1. Smaller map/greater movement.
2. The swapped order of Ship->move to move->ship

Rex's treatment of shipping costing more when shipping into an occupied territory is IMO a much easier use of Dune's Advanced Combat Support model. Instead of paying more to make your troops stronger, you pay more to get your reinforcements there in the first place. I haven't done the math (because Rex seems more wealth-infused than Dune to begin with) but the two methods seem more or less equivalent in terms of cost.

I have tried playing with +1 movement all around, and *I enjoyed the change. I have yet to try reversing the movement phase, but I would be open to the experiment.

* I have tried about 7 times to get a frakking link to work here and failed each time. Link is: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13606880
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
No idea but I don't understand why one would want to do so. This is the better game IMO. Good luck and good gaming.

This. I've played both. Bought Rex because it was "cheaper". Realized I'd made a huge mistake. Traded Rex. Bought a second-hand of the original Dune. Haven't regretted it once.

The decreased number of turns (with no change to the Bene Gesserit), the move->ship change, the overflowing spice everywhere, as well as having to watch for the very real possibility of an easy first-turn win (!!!)....all changes for the worse. So I humbly disagree with getting "the best of both worlds" by adapting anything from Rex to Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be a fun addition to use the Betrayal cards for Dune, but I doubt I would change much else. I have yet to try them out, but I would easily give them a go.

~Kat ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well it's certainly possible; they're mostly the same anyway.
Whether one should or not is obviously a matter of opinion.

For my money, I'm interested in the idea of Betrayal cards for Dune, but I'm not sure that a straight port is the right approach. (I haven't figured out what the right approach is yet, btw.)

The 8 turn limit and boosted movement rules are something I've considered for times when we only have a limited amount of time to play Dune, but I'm not sure I'd want to use them all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.