Subject: Open Lord and Attack cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I thought I fully understood the Open Lord card, but the iOS app just did something surprising to me. Either it's a bug or there's a wrinkle that most people (including me up to this point) don't understand.

I was in a two player game and I'd played the Open Lord card. The computer went into Waterdeep Harbor and played Lack of Faith. To be clear, this is an attack card that says, "Each opponent removes (white) from his or her Tavern and returns it to the supply. For each opponent that could not do so, you score 2 VP."

The computer played it and received 2 VP and my 2 white cubes remained untouched. I would have sworn this card couldn't be played at all or would have had zero effect. That's certainly true of Demolish or Bribe Agent or Free Drinks. However, upon consideration it seems like they're going with the "you can play these attacks, but you just never take a cube and you get the alternative instead" interpretation.

This is interesting because it means a handful of attack cards are NOT useless against an Open Lord, even in 2 player. In fact, sometimes it can be nice if you know you want to get what the alternative is (like gold for Assassination.)

What are people's opinions on this. Do you think it's a bug or legitimate reading of the rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What are people's opinions on this. Do you think it's a bug or legitimate reading of the rule?

Seems legit. If you have a 3P+ game with an Open Lord, you can play the Attack card like this, but it doesn't hurt the Open Lord. Thus he "cannot" remove a cube, because of his immunity (you cannot just discard cubes), and therefore you still get a benefit.

I'd allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:

It's legitimate, although I may be a bit biased on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
incinerator wrote:
jepmn wrote:

It's legitimate, although I may be a bit biased on the subject.

Well, that IS what you'd say. But then after I found Hall of Many Pillars lets you play 3, 2, 1 or even NO intrigue cards in the app. whistle

Just kidding, Gary (well, not about the HoMP bug existing - see the bug thread). Thanks for weighing in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.