Popular Tags: [View All]
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to share some concerns i had during the making of the automated quests about the nature of treasure tables.

Right now treasure tables offer common items from rolls 1 to 6 and a locked chests gives a bonus to the table allowing you to reach values from 7 above, considered rare items.

The problem with this method is that per se it allows you to have very little options of special items on the quest if you want to keep common items appearing on locked chests. In any case the maximum of unique items is 5 in any case due to how the locked chest bonus works.

For example, if i want 5 rare items on the quest, my table needs to cover:
(1-6) common items
(7)Unique Key
(8-12) Rare Items.

If i want Item 12 to be able to appear, my locked chest bonus needs to be +6 wich automatically causes common items not to appear (wich may be bad if you are in desperate need of potions!.

------
On the automated quests, to allow more number of treasures without reducing the chance of common items to appear I did the following.

Treasure table is like follows:
(1-3) - Common items that do not influence the outcome of quests (Gold, gems, etc...)
(4-6) - Potions, antidotes and the like that might be lifesavers and you don´t want to stop finding.
(7+) - Great Treasure! (Roll on the great treasure table)

When i fix the unlocked chest modifier to +3. I know all locked chest will contain a 50% chance of useful supplies and 50% of great items.

However, I´m no longer limited to 5 rare items because the Great Treasure table is not dependant of the common treasure table and you can have as many results as you want (I try to keep the chances of a great key in 20%-33% on the great treasure table, so for 2 or 3 treasures, 1 key).

So the Great Treasure can be something like>
(1)Great Key
(2)Rare Treasure
(3)Rare Treasure
(4)Great Key
(5)Rare Treasure
(6)Rare Treasure
(7)Great Key
(8)Rare Treasure
(9)Rare Treasure
etc...

What do you think?

(By the way, i´m not dead, i just moved and don´t have internets at the new home, as soon as i get it back i will upload the v2.0 of "Kobold Kwarri" and the new quest i´m working on: "Midnight Crypt Run")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I understand what you are saying. I had noticed that some of the items I would desire were actually moving out of reach as I progressed. It's great that you've taken it into account.
Don't think I have any other direct feedback at this point, but I do look forward to your updated version and your new quest.
Thanks for your work on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.