Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so I just ordered the revised core set and im excited for a few aspects of Dust that I never really had with my other board games, but i have some possibly dumb questions i couldnt find answers to

- what 2 things can i buy to enhance each of the armies in the core set, im not talking about balancing them or making them stronger, i mean what can i buy for each faction that plays differently than anything in the core set for each army. something that will give the army more options and choices in combat, i heard the allies in the core set are too focused on close combat

- i really want to buy a building, i think that would really enhance the look and feel of the game for me is there any reason to buy the building pack over the Cerebus expansion, doesnt the cerebus expansion come with the same building plus 2 heroes and some other scenerios?

- any other purchases you would suggest for a more fun experience, im big on terrain and a 3d feel to the board any advice?

thank you so much in advance for anyone helping me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to add more options to combat, the command squads are a good place to start, and getting the medium walkers (that come with an artillery option) are good, although the walkers I believe are hard to find now.

Buy the Cerberus expansion - way better value. The heroes in it are great, and so are the scenarios.

As far as terrain goes, go to the Dust Tactics BGG page and go to the files section, and there's some *awesome* 3-D papercraft terrain. Buy some cardstock, print it out and cut it out and glue it, and you have some great terrain for super cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks a lot everyone has been suggesting the command squads so i guess ill go with that, i was reallyt hoping to get the gorillas but people have said the allied core set forces will destroy them, so who knows, loved the ssu silent death figures but cant start with ssu yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias ??!
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really like the Axis Gorillas, you should probably get them no matter what everyone else says. You will just have to be careful where you move them during gameplay and who you attack. Maybe you should consider the new Gorilla unit ("Sturmaffen"). They are much better than the originals because they are able to do a ranged attack. I have also often suggested the Axis Zombies as they are a melee unit as well, and so they are actually different from the Axis' units in the Core set.
For the Allies, I always suggest the Grim Reapers or the Kill Squads as both are a powerful ranged units with good anti-infantry abilities. So they are different from the Allied Core set units as well.
Concerning the 3D building, I can only repeat what was already mentioned: You should definitely get Operation Cerberus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Metsanurk
Estonia
flag msg tools
1. Get the medium walkers first, especially if you can get those at the old FFG prices. In the revised core set the infantry can pretty much prance around the field at will. Walkers' weapons with unlimited range will force the infantry units to take cover which will change the dynamics of the game significantly plus those units with anti-armor weaponry will now have something extra to do.

My second choice would be the box with snipers and observers, basically because the snipers add one more new shooting option to the game. But they also play very well with walkers (observers support the artillery walkers) and the Cerebus expansion (which has a sniper hero).

My third choice might be the commando units. The commando units are cool and all but they provide advanced management options to your army and don't really teach you much about shooting with different weapons at other units and how units on the field interact. So not the best first buy in my opinion.

2. The Cerebus expansion's building is one storey higher than the one in the building pack. It includes two heroes and is more expensive. So it's your call.

3. I agree the Gorillas don't really work on their own unless you add Markus (the gorilla hero) to absorb damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
the command squads are good , BUT they really dont get full use unless you have a bigger army (its REALLLY risky to put them in combat , so they tend to turtle , and you would only have 3 units to use their abilities on ) , so i would wait a bit on that . the 2 units i would suggest most are a medium walker for each side , and if you can swing it , get the tank busters fr the allies , and a recon squad for the axis .

if you are into building your own terrain , here is a link to my blog : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/545/dust-is-warrrrrrrrr

its been dead a while , but i am working at bringing it back to life here directly with new articles , and a little kulling of some of the redundant posts . there is even an article in there about making cardboard terrain .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks so much for all the advice, coming from Battles of Westeros its a little daunting trying to figure out what to get with all the options for this game, i really appreciate the help

so the building in Cerebus is one story higher but i thought there was an option to build single story houses? i guess ill go with cerebus just to get the extra scenerios and heroes just dont know which building(s) to build to maximize the effect on the game

when you say the medium walker are you talking about the hotdog/pounder for allies and the luthor/ludwig for axis?

thanks again ill finally be able to play my first game this weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pounder combo will be hard to find. You may have to get Rattler instead.
The 3 story Cerebus Building can be modified to be 3, one story buildings, The building pack would be two one story building instead of three.

There are two different Command squads per Army, an Armor 2 variant and an armor 3 variant. The Armor 3 command squad variant has more survivability but different abilities that the A2 level command squad. your choice there...I have both and switch out as necessary. (although I think you can field one V2 armor and one V3 armor command squad....if you wanted...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heh yea just spent a couple hours realizing that the pounder/hotdog is impossible to find unless its prepainted and $50 i think ifound the axis ludwig so ill start looking for the rattler

im prob gonna make the 3 one story buildings so i can fill up the map more, add a nice urban warfare aspect to it and again thanks everyone for the help i just wish the heroes in cerebus didnt look so whacked out, its like the swedish chef from the muppets and some goth chick from the matrix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so i cant find medium walkers anywhere, i got the 2 light walkers, the wildfire and the heinrich? i think and i got the grim reapers and the zombies but i gotta be honest i feel like the Axis is a much better army at this point, now i know the scenerios are all different but in terms of a skirmish with me and a friend how do i make the allies as strong as the axis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
jack merridew wrote:
Ok so i cant find medium walkers anywhere, i got the 2 light walkers, the wildfire and the heinrich? i think and i got the grim reapers and the zombies but i gotta be honest i feel like the Axis is a much better army at this point, now i know the scenerios are all different but in terms of a skirmish with me and a friend how do i make the allies as strong as the axis?

the ONLY problem i seewith JUST what you have is that you have the hammers , BUT you have rhino to add intothem , so they are playable . other than that , its JUST a questionn of learning to use them . the allies are more maneuvarable than the axis , you just need to take a few wholopings to get down how to use them , and the ONE , ABSOLUTE piece of advice i can pass on to you is that each unit has a specific role to play , so you MUSt learn when and where to send them on the battle filed .

when the game first came out , a lot of people complained that X unit was too paowerrful , or Y unit was crap , and what it really seemed to boil down to is they had this idea that every unit should be good in ever situation , so it wasnt THEIR fault that the flame thrower squad died out in the open while crossing a wide open field , no it must mean the other teams unit was too powerful shake

similarly , people complained that the pounder/ludwig was too weak , because it kept dieing on the first turn ......... which only happens if you move it into the open , on the very first turn , and dont use ANY cover .

i play axis , and there are only 4 units that i think are tuely worthless : the allies "hammers" , axis "gorillas" , allies light walker "honey" , axis light walker "herman"

the gorillas are worthless without markus .

the honey/herman needs their stats adjusted . it was a regret that DUST games had , those 2 units were super weak , and they apprently didnt sell very well .

as for the honey , and herman . the phaser needs to be restated , to be inline with ALL the other phasers that came out AFTER it . and the laser needs to be changed to . i dont have the pahser stats update that we use here , but i will get you those stats if you want , and i willl be posting the changes i suggest for the laser laser on the herman too .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-is there a resource for tips on how to use each unit? i mean i get that the bbq squad shouldnt be storming the beach but i was wondering if there was a write up breaking down different units and best use of them?

- im not a huge fan of the scenerios in the revised core set, which operation or expansion do you think has the most fun scenerio?

- cant find medium walkers anywhere im curious could i buy the new battlefront (i know only 1 walker configuration =/) walker and buy the card pack, would that make it playable with V1?

- am i going to run out of ideas with the revised core set maps? should i get the tile set>?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.