Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my 2nd play of this game and this time I scored 12 VP for a substantive victory. In the course of the play, I tried something that seemed effective but I want to see what others think.

After getting the answer "no" to the following question 3. This is related to the NVA/VC offensive. Let's say that I have 5 NVA in space 1-2 of region one and 1 VC in space 3 of region 3. I roll a 3 which will launch a minor offensive in region 3 with the VC. After that is done, do I then move the 3 NVA units(the excess of the two in region 1) into space 1-2 of region 2 even though the minor offensive took place in region 3?
I posted in this thread Couple of quick questions related to my first play I decided to try the following to keep all those NVA units at bay.

I deployed a few ARVN units somewhere in region 1 for practically the whole game. I did this because if the NVA kept feeding into this region (rolling on trail counters from north to south each turn) then they would never leave the area since I would have ARVN troops posted in there. Thus, I left them there and so long as one survived, the NVA could not trickle down to region 2. While I did this, I focused on clearing regions 3-5 so that I would have my 3 controlled regions for each turn and score VP. I understand that there is still a 33% chance of the NVA launching an offensive but if they don't....
Can I do this? Did I misread some rule somewhere?

This in turn made me wonder: do you always go in order from 1-6 for rolling for trail counters? If so the first four are going to go into region 1 and so long as you don't wipe out more than 4 NVA a turn, they're all going to head into there. I checked the rules and did not see what order the trail counters are supposed to be rolled (I have always gone north to south just because it seemed logical). So I guess the question then becomes should there be random counter trail rolls?

These are my thoughts and I'd be curious to see what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I got it wrong! How does the strategy work out otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what I am wondering now is: can the player always win by doing this strategy? If so, that will make the game lose its flavor I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a solitaire game I can beat all the time. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dolan
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand the above comments at all.

Trail counters are placed based on the results of two die rolls during The Roll For Trail Counters Phase. They are placed in the Trail Areas corresponding to the numbers rolled. During the Place NVA/VC Units Phase, die are only rolled for the VC. The NVA are placed in the Region corresponding to the Trail Area, one for each Trail Counter. The Area is that Region is determined by die roll. The only time NVA units are moved from north to south is if a Relocation is required which only occurs IF there are more than 2 NVA Infantry unit is any Region AND no US/ARVN units in that Region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietrich2 wrote:
The only time NVA units are moved from north to south is if a Relocation is required which only occurs IF there are more than 2 NVA Infantry unit is any Region AND no US/ARVN units in that Region.

I think what he's saying is that (given the four Ho Chi Minh trail counters likely funneling NVA regulars into Region 1) you can just stick a US/ARVN unit in Region 1 every turn and prevent the NVA there from *ever* relocating to Region 2.

I need to sit down and play this out and see if this works; if it does, the rules need tweaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dolan
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I get that but relocating is not that big of a deal unless a whole lot of 1 and 2 trail rolls pop up. You still have to deal with the trail rolls into the other Regions as well as offensives and VC placement portions of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietrich2 wrote:
I get that but relocating is not that big of a deal unless a whole lot of 1 and 2 trail rolls pop up. You still have to deal with the trail rolls into the other Regions as well as offensives and VC placement portions of the game.

Given that the Hue Trail markers are defended by SAM/MiG units, and that there are two of them on top of it, a disproportionate number of NVA regulars are going to appear in Hue. If you concentrate your fire (Green Berets and B-52s) on the non-Hue Trail, you can vector more incoming NVA into Hue and "trap" them there as long as you keep building on ARVN unit in Hue every turn to prevent them from 'relocating' southward.

Remember you don't "roll" to see if NVA units might appear in Hue; if the Trail is open there, it will automatically throw additional NVA units into Hue. Eventually you run out of counters; they're all stuck in Hue.

I think this is an easy rule to tweak and fix it, but I really need to play it again to test it and just haven't had the time lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
But what I am wondering now is: can the player always win by doing this strategy? If so, that will make the game lose its flavor I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a solitaire game I can beat all the time. shake

Tim,

Have you had a chance to replay this lately? I'm wondering if the same problem still shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
catosulla wrote:

Tim,

Have you had a chance to replay this lately? I'm wondering if the same problem still shows up.

Robert,
No, I haven't had a chance to go back to the game lately (too much Marvel Dice Masters blush ) I will try to do so sometime in the near future. The thing is, I really do like the game system, but what I think I have discovered is worrying. If the spill over went to random trail markers, that would certainly complicate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
The thing is, I really do like the game system, but what I think I have discovered is worrying.

A friend who is brilliant at breaking down game mathematics says that he doesn't think this is a hideous problem (he's played the game once but believe me, that's enough for him to spot a flaw) but I'm working around it with a rules tweak as I adapt this system for a game I'm working on. (Message me for more details.)

I'm really thrilled with Vietnam Solitaire: Special Edition. Unfortunately I'm so busy with my own project I haven't had a chance to see if I can replicate your experience by playing it again myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,
I played two more games and was able to replicate the strategy. The problem, IMHO, is the(correct, I think) assumption that the North Vietnamese will always start by deploying NVA units from the north and thus if you have 4 or fewer units in the NVA pool they all go into region 1 which then becomes a huge bottle neck. I did have a major offensive kick me out of region one halfway through my last game, but then I created the same blockade in region two.
The simplest solution, IMHO, is when you have only 4 or fewer NVA units in the pool and have trail markers in spaces 3-6 to then roll to determine where the four NVA units will go in regards to the trail markers.
Those are my thoughts. Hope they are of some use
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game. I had almost all NVA stuck in Region 1. Game is broken unless their is a rule change to fix this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.