Subject: Cheap Death Star Turrets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim King
Canada
Stevensville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I decided to make my own Death Star Turrets.

First I made a master out of blocks of wood, plastic card, a gear and nails (see below)

Next I made molds of the base and turret using Silicon caulking (check youtube for DIY silicone mold making). I am not 100% satisfied with this method, although cheap ($5), the next time I will use a a professional quality mold making silicone.

Next I cast the turrets using Amazing Casting Resin from Michaels craft store ($18 for 16 oz). There was enough to make 6 complete turrets. The gun barrels are just nails inserted into the mold, then the resin is poured around it. Setting time is only 10 min.

Total cost was $32 Canadian.

I'll post some pics of them painted up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
---------ViSiT---------- ------------------------- DockingBay416.com -------------------------- ----------for some---------- -------------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I love seeing custom hobby stuff. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim King
Canada
Stevensville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Now if you can get past my crappy paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireman Tim wrote:
Now if you can get past my crappy paint job.

As someone who is horrible at painting miniatures, "What crappy paint job?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
That y wing really needs to ion the squint into a tower. They look good especially considering the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great

So when you poured them - are they solid or did you stick something in to make them hollow to conserve liquid plastic for more turrets?

How do you use them in the game if at all? Do they roll to fire and take damage? Or just pretty decorations ?

Good paint job too - all that was needed - good dry brushing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wise I would use them a bit like asteroids, but instead of losing an action if you fly over them you take a 2 dice attack that you can defend but before you take your action. If you land on it you have crashed and take an immediate critical hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
problem is at 32 bucks they are no longer "cheap" compared to this...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1313519/turbolaser-turret-1-2...

however i was wondering if you used automotive resin its MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedge66 wrote:
problem is at 32 bucks they are no longer "cheap" compared to this...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1313519/turbolaser-turret-1-2...

OP made six turrets for $32.

Your link appears to be one turret for $22, and I assume there are shipping costs on top of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim King
Canada
Stevensville
Ontario
flag msg tools
That is a beautiful turret Swedge. I can't wait to get a 3D printer so I can make one.

On the plus side, with the mold made, future turrets will only cost me $3 each.

I may convert some into deflection towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
Tim your turrets are not bad, and check out Automotive resin it really is much cheaper... Yeah i am just going to kit-bash some turrets my self from old model kit parts and plastic polystyrene sheet.. might even try using wood chunks i have sitting around and adding the plastic sheet detail to them.. or i might just buy some off shape-ways if mine turn out looking crappy!!!lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.