Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
My family (wife and four kids 13,11,10,10) let me choose a game for everyone to play for my birthday. I of course chose my second favorite game: Duel of Ages II.

I chose a Regular triad game with 9 characters on each team. So each person was controlling 3 characters. We set a 3 hour time limit once we had the game all setup. I did make a mistake and forgot to include the lith lair so we only had 6 achievements available (base, combat, 4 labyrinths)

Setup

Team White; (myself, my wife, and 10 year old daughter)

Jerry Gillis the survivalist
Tex
Kassina the dragon queen
Milena Arrebato freedom fighter
Commodore Blaylock the commander
Venya 8 the android agent
Catspaw the mind bender child
Annah Mischkev the international spy
Annie Oakley the trick shot

Team Black: (my 11 year old son who picked his 13 year old brother and other 10 year old sister)

Phillip red legs the adventurer
Boris Andronov the mercenary
Paragonia the do-good
Neyana Unyeialin the paladin
Santiago El robust the honcho
Damon Raven the assassin
Arkin Ironshanks the dwarf
Ardin glynn the envoy
Ned kelly the outcast

Team white chose the madras stronghold as their board. Team black chose olympus. the random draw was monument. We had a lot of clogged up terrain. We built the map in a sort of a triangle shape where all the boards were combined in the middle with the modern labyrinth dead center and the bases on opposite corners.

The Game

We all spent the first few turns running around trying to pick up weapons by doing quests. The modern heroes from white dominated and had two markers fully advanced. Tex, annie oakley and other white team members did the same with the colonial labyrinth. Black failed on several of their adventures but soon got modern and future under their control. Jerry gillis took his huge haul of 8 items to the white teams vault where Kassina picked them up to use to power her dragon power.

Black soon took out to try to attack white's base. However tex shot and imprisoned damon raven with two amazes. Meanwhile Kassina turned into the dragon and jumped on the dwarf wounding him and forcing him to retreat. Later black would attempt to free their 2 prisoners but again Kassina would thwart them with the help of milena and her sharp shooting with an SKS imprisoning Paragonia and killing Neyana.

Towards the end of the game, Jerry gillis unleashed a puma and timber wolf onto ardin glyn and seriously wounded him. Annie oakley was killed by ardin glyn with a spear and Annah was shot down by Boris andronov and philip red legs.

Black took control of the colonial labyrinth very late.White was able to fake out black by making them think they were rushing their base and instead made a rush for the ancient, future and colonial labyrinths in the last turn and take over the ancient one and take control back of the colonial.

Summary

White won the game 4-1. White got combat achievement, colonial, modern, and ancient labyrinths. Black got the future labyrinth.

Before the final turn the score was 2-2 as white had combat and modern while black had future and ancient. That last turn rush was so lucky and gave white a resounding victory. The timer ran out during black's turn and they had nothing to do except attempt to heal. They had pulled back most of their team to defend their base without realizing white was realizing bluffing the blitz on the base and instead went after the labyrinths.

Character highlights

White team

Kassina: absolute beast after getting 3 cards from vault that Jerry put there. She dominated the white base and killed neyana, and wounded the dwarf and kept the black team running from the base.

Jerry Gillis: his 8 cards at the beginning are great. He spawned close to base and went straight for the vault dropped the cards in and took out the one pet and kept the other one he started with. These pets would later mortally wound ardin glyn and all but take him out of the game

Tex: Imprisoned Raven glen with a laser rifle and put two markers in the colonial labyrinth including on the last turn the critical removal of black's marker.

Milena Arrebato: Imprisoned Patagonia with SKS

Commodore Blaylock: Helped white dominate the modern lab

Venya 8 : Helped white dominate the modern lab

Anna Mischkev: Helped white dominate the modern lab; killed by gunfire from phillip red legs and Boris

Annie oakly: put two markers in colonial labyrinth. Killed by ardin glen with spear on one attack.

Catspaw: Probably team mvp as she prevented the black team from attacking the adventures most of the game plus she completed the ancient challenge that sealed the game for white.

Black team

Phillip red legs: Adventured in ancient labyrinth and spent time in hq trying to get need weapons from vault. Killed Annah with rifle.

Boris Andronov: adventured most of the game and helped phillip kill annah with an amazing long shot with powder rifle.

Paragonia: Adventured in future labyrinth and captured late game by Milena with an sks

Neyana Unyielding: adventured most of the game. Tried late game to rescue prisoners and was killed by Kassina the dragon.

Santiago El robust: Spent whole game guarding base, but white never came.

Damon Raven:Attempted assault on white base with dwarf and was captured by tex with laser rifle

Arkin Ironshanks: Attempted assault on white base with dwarf and was wounded severely by Kassina and ran away.

Ardin glynn: adventured in future labyrinth and killed annie oakley with an amazing attack with a pole weapon. Was severely wounded by jerry gillis' pet wolf and puma.

Ned kelly: Mostly guarded the base and traded weapons from vault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun session, happy birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday!, brilliant write up, thank you.
Out of interest, what is your favourite game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to share this... and many happy returns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
rules update

I often reread the rules after i play a game and I noticed I messed a rule up. Jerry gillis has a no trade icon. This means he also cannot use the team's vault. It probably wouldn't have changed the result but I like to find out when I mess the rules up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.