Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/04/portlan...

For Portland, evidently the answer is, "any."

What a waste of 38 million gallons of drinking water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do they not have birds in Oregon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its Oregon. Water practically falls from the sky in those parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Psauberer wrote:

Wasted? Does it suddenly cease to exist? I thought it basically flowed back into natural waterways whereupon it rejoined that good old water cycle I learnt about all those years ago in primary school. And from there it will end up back in your cistern again.

Sorry, this whole thing of water being wasted somehow when it just moves along to somewhere else is a pet peeve

On your point of flushing the whole reservoir because of a bladder-full of urine - yes, monumentally stupid. What do they imagine they fish and birds do in there? Do they imagine it never happens without being noticed?

There's the precautionary principle, and then there's taking things much, much too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Human urine is something like 95% water to begin with. The nasty parts of the contents of a human bladder in 35 million gallons of water gives you an incredibly dilute solution. I suspect the experts know this, but the city has decided dumping a bunch of water is easier than trying to explain this fact to the public.

Of course, I doubt this will be the last time someone relieves themselves there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than a mouthful.

Oh wait.. that's breasts.

Or IS it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Psauberer wrote:

Wasted? Does it suddenly cease to exist? I thought it basically flowed back into natural waterways whereupon it rejoined that good old water cycle I learnt about all those years ago in primary school. And from there it will end up back in your cistern again.

Sorry, this whole thing of water being wasted somehow when it just moves along to somewhere else is a pet peeve

On your point of flushing the whole reservoir because of a bladder-full of urine - yes, monumentally stupid. What do they imagine they fish and birds do in there? Do they imagine it never happens without being noticed?

There's the precautionary principle, and then there's taking things much, much too far.

We can certainly waste potable water. Just because we can get it back somewhere along the line, and probably at a cost, it doesn't mean it is a great idea to just use water for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's ridiculous. Any parent can tell you that urine is the least noxious human effluvia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Assuming he peed for 16 fl.oz. (~500ml), that means the pee was diluted to a ratio of 1:380 million or 2.6 * 10^-9, which is less than the allowed concentration of arsenic in American drinking water (10^-8). So he could have peed pure arsenic and it still would have been OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
How stupid are these people? --and I don't mean the skateboarders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Elephants pee 12-16 gallons per day.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

You're welcome.

Sorry, only tortoise watersports count here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

You're welcome.

Hey, I learned that at the same zoo trip.

The elephant pee sign was actually posted over the men's room urinals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oops, wrong thread. I thought this thread would be about urinary incontinence.

Never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

You're welcome.

Hey, I learned that at the same zoo trip.

The elephant pee sign was actually posted over the men's room urinals.

As a challenge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Assuming he peed for 16 fl.oz. (~500ml), that means the pee was diluted to a ratio of 1:380 million or 2.6 * 10^-9, which is less than the allowed concentration of arsenic in American drinking water (10^-8). So he could have peed pure arsenic and it still would have been OK.

Best supervillain ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Do they not have birds in Oregon?

Quote:
“Even though there is very minimal public health risk, the bottom line is that our commitment is to serve water that’s clean, cold and constant,” said Water Bureau administrator David Shaff. “That doesn’t include pee. Not from people, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portland is weird. The residents seem to like it that way.

Last year the citizens voted down a proposal to fluoridate the city's water, despite overwhelming support from health professionals and decades of data from hundreds of other cities. The main opposition was that people wanted their water "natural", without added chemicals. But, as the water bureau describes:

Quote:
How is my tap water treated?
Bull Run water is not filtered.
Chlorine is added to disinfect the water of any potential natural contaminants.
Ammonia is added in a process called chloramination to ensure that water throughout the system meets federal and state drinking water regulations. Without ammonia the chlorine would evaporate by the end of the supply line..

In fact, the chlorine is strong enough at the treatment plant that you need a respirator to enter that room.

On the other hand, 38 million gallons really isn't that much. I can't find a gauge for Bull Run at the moment, but if its flowing at 2500 cfs, that's about 33 minutes of flow to fill the reservoir. Even at half that flow rate, which would be really low for this time of year, that's an hour's worth of flow. Of course that assume taking 100% of the water during that time, which would happen, but you get the idea. We have LOTS of water in the Pacific Northwest, and it just keeps flowing by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what you get in a country where media induced mysophobia (aka germophobia) rules the day. I still see coworkers open the bathroom door with a paper towel on a regular basis. I never seem to see them shake hands with a paper towel, or answer the phone with a paper towel, or handle money, or push the elevator button, or...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

Oh, and look, a ballot measure coming up to remove control of the water supply from the city. What totally-coincidental-timing that something should happen to cause everyone to question how the city is managing the water supply at right this moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
This is what you get in a country where media induced mysophobia (aka germophobia) rules the day. I still see coworkers open the bathroom door with a paper towel on a regular basis. I never seem to see them shake hands with a paper towel, or answer the phone with a paper towel, or handle money, or push the elevator button, or...

What makes this all the funnier is that the bladder is the most sterile part of our bodies and most urine only contains bacteria is picks up from surfaces/skin as it exits the body.

In short... washing his hands would have likely put many more germs in the water than pissing in it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Here is a handy dandy guide to conserving water used by toilets from the Portland Water Bureau. They recommend replacing your old toilets with modern ones so you only use 1.6 gallons per flush instead of 3+ that some of the other ones use. Kind of ironic that this same organization is using a 38 million gpf toilet now.

What's even more ironic about the "shitty" toilets is that even if you take a moderately small dump (let alone a really winner of a crap), you have to flush these new modern toilets twice - thus using 3.2 gallons per crap, rather than the 3.0 gallons per crap that you get from the single-flush Canadian models.

Sort of like how some people think that adding corn to gasoline uses less gasoline...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

What makes this all the funnier is that the bladder is the most sterile part of our bodies and most urine only contains bacteria is picks up from surfaces/skin as it exits the body.

In short... washing his hands would have likely put many more germs in the water than pissing in it did.

Also if you have some medical conditions (esp as you get older) you can get infected pee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

We went to Minnetonka Cave in Idaho last year. At the end of the tour the guide allowed those who wanted to, to rub the smooth end of a stalagmite, "If you don’t mind the germs from thousands of hands before you."

After she said that, there were only like, five out of fifty of us that touched it. But here’s the thing. Every person that wouldn’t rub the stalagmite had already been rubbing their hands along the metal handrails all tour long without a second thought, handrails that have been rubbed by thousands of people before them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
Human urine is something like 95% water to begin with. The nasty parts of the contents of a human bladder in 35 million gallons of water gives you an incredibly dilute solution. I suspect the experts know this, but the city has decided dumping a bunch of water is easier than trying to explain this fact to the public.

Of course, I doubt this will be the last time someone relieves themselves there.

In the absence of a urinary tract infection, urine is sterile.

If you are in a survival situation with water hard to come by, it may be wise to "recycle" your urine.

If you were smart, you'd find a way to evaporate and condense it and just drink the water part. But if I had to drink urine or die of dehydration, then yeah... down the hatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.