Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Basic Strategy Guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: STRAT [+] [View All]
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
I love Caverna. As a veteran Agricola player (having played more than 200 live games) I was wondering how the new Agricola 2.0 a.k.a. Caverna would play, how different the strategy would be. And well, it is different. I have not seen any complex strategy guide on BGG yet, so I decided to write one myself after having played over 30 games now, mostly 3- and 4-player. This is my first strategy guide, and I hope it will help those who try to score 90+ points consistently in Caverna, or even exceed the magical level of 100 points. (Please notice this is a guide for multiplayer game, NOT the solo game.)

First of all, let me say something about expeditions. From a gaming point of view, an expedition is a way of playing more than one action with a single move. E.g. you can get a vegetable, grain, and build a tile (furnish a cavern) with one single action! Or, later in the game, you can build a dwelling for the 50% discount, perform the sow action, furnish a cavern, and get a cow… again, with one single action! Sounds fantastic! Well, it is, and it isn't. You can't grow your family during an expedition (John Snow is a Snow, not a Stark ), you can't get any rubies, you can't take those 4 yummy stones with the cavern twin tile etc. So, to go or not to go for expeditions?

The answer is (as always in this fabulous game): "It depends." I won games with all my dwarves armed. On the other hand, I won games without going for a single expedition throughout the entire game. However, I'd suggest to have at least one dwarf armed, it really helps. And the sooner you arm him the better. Make sure you have at least 7 ore when you equip him with the weapon, so that you can furnish a cavern, and take some two other bonuses (material, grain, vegetable, an animal) in addition.

But again, it all depends on what your opponents are doing. If you're in a 4-p game, and you see 2 players already going for expeditions, and the third one having the ore on his radar, then don't go for expeditions. Always try to a) either do something else than your opponents, or b) force your opponents to do something else than you do. In Agricola it is important to "keep an eye on your opponents". In Caverna this is not enough, you really have to watch them closely. Caverna is not a multi-solitaire game even though it may seem so at the first glance. You can't completely block your opponent from his strategy (as it frequently happens in Agricola… soblue I have yet to see a game of Caverna where this sort of frustrating moment would occur), nor they can block you, but in order to achieve high scores you need to be ready to adjust your strategy during the game.

Did you sow both grain and vegetable and plan to feed your family using the Cooking Cave (green tile, 1 Grain + 1 Veggie = 5 Food), and someone else just took that Cooking Cave? Fine, you can switch to Beer parlor (2G=4F), or you can feed your family in a different way and aim for the big score using the Food chamber (1G+1V=2 points… I've seen players score 14+ points with this single yellow tile!). Or were you blocked from the one-and-only furnish-a-cavern action spot in the game (named "Housework")? Grab 7 ore, arm your dwarf and use an expedition to furnish a cavern! Or use "Imitation" There's always some alternative path, just be ready to take a little detour in this game!

OK, the next chapter - how many dwarves to go for? I've seen threads suggesting you can win using just 2. Well, if your opponents put in some solid play, winning with only 2 dwarves in my opinion is not possible. Not even with three (maybe in some extreme case). 4 dwarves is the minimum I'd say. Again, this is true if your opponents play a solid game. If they don't, if they let you do whatever you want, you can easily win with three dwarves. Although my best score with 3 dwarves was 96 points (3-p game), I ended up in the second place, the winner had 100 points with 4 dwarves, and the third player finished with 93 points (6 dwarves). I managed to exceed the magical line of 100 points with 5 or 6 dwarves, and I've seen players reaching 100 points even with 4 dwarves only.

What does it mean? Firstly - growing your family is utterly important! I personally don't believe the 100 points line can be crossed without having at least 4 dwarves. Secondly - growing to 4, 5 or 6? Well, it depends (where have I seen this sentence? ). The more dwarves you have, the more actions you can perform. However, it may not always pay off. Time flies very quickly in Caverna; remember - there are only 12 rounds, not 14 as in Agricola. So you may start the round 10 with 4 dwarves and the question is - is it worth getting the 5th or even 6th dwarf with only 2 more rounds to play? If you have the Broom chamber (10 points for 6 dwarves), then definitely go for 6; ten points with a single tile is a must have. Otherwise, calculate the pay-off. In Caverna dwarves are worth 1 point only (not 3 as in Agricola), so growing the family late in the game would net you 1 point and maybe one additional action, plus the need to feed the additional dwarf. Perhaps you can just grab some rubies, or some material and build another yellow tile. Just do the simple math.

In the early game though, try to get the third dwarf as soon as possible. The first harvest takes place at the end of round 3, and by then you should have some grain or/and veggie planted already. By the end of round 5 or 6, you definitely should have 3 dwarves. Feeding in Caverna is much easier than in Agricola, so if you can feed 3 family members, you can feed even 4 without any huge troubles. Therefore, go and get that 4th dwarf, too. After that, it really depends (surprise, surprise! ) on your strategy. If you want to combo the Weapon storage (3 pts for each armed dwarf) with the Supplies storage (8 pts if all your dwarves are armed), then 4 dwarves are enough. If you have difficulties feeding the family, again, 4 is enough. Sometimes the random order of the harvests causes some real famine, so don't panic, get your 3rd dwarf asap anyway, and then wait for the right moment to get the 4th one.

On the other hand, if your food engine runs smoothly and you help yourself with some food discounts (from furnishing tiles), you can manage to grow your family to 5 dwarves by the end of round 9! In that case having such a large family really helps in the late game! If at least one of these 5 dwarves is heavily experienced looter (level 12+), you're setup for a big score! arrrh Use some rubies to make this bandit skip the turn order and place him on the "Exploration" action space (4 loot items in one turn) ahead of everyone else, and enjoy! cool

So how do you set up this smooth-running food engine? There are multiple options in Caverna, but as a rule of thumb, use the mix of grain/veggies, some animals, and the "feed-helping tiles" (Slaughtering cave, Cooking cave, Working cave, Mining cave, Beer parlor, and other caves and parlors). As I said above, by the end of round 3 you should have some grain and veggie planted. In the STAGE 2, create a pasture (with the stables if you can afford it) and grab some sheep, donkeys, or boars. USE RUBIES! Convert them to animals if you don't have at least two animals of the same kind, so that they can breed. By the end of STAGE 2, you generally should have 3 or 4 twin tiles (meadow/field) loaded with plants, some animals, and at least one furnishing tile for feeding. How do you get it all so soon? Grow your family and arm them! And don't forget to grab - the Starting player!

Starting player doesn't play such a significant role in Caverna as it played in Agricola. However, it is still important. I haven't seen more than 4 food accumulated on the Starting player action space. Taking some 2 or 3 food with the ruby (or 2 ore) in the early game is yummy, saves some time and helps to set up the food engine (you don't need to convert G/V or animals to food in the first rounds). In the middle game and late game it can help with the irritating special harvest phase (pay 1 food per dwarf, but no harvest and no breeding), and gives you the chance to grab those 3 or 4 rubies in the next round, or perform the "furnish a dwelling + family growth" action, etc. Do not underestimate the Starting player action space!

Rubies! My favorites! To be honest, from all the new features the rubies are the most fascinating one for me. First, they look really nice They're worth one point each at the end of the game, but that's not the most useful attribute (unless you play with a friend of mine who accumulated ALL 20 rubies in the game and we shared the first place with 94 points). They're worth 2 food each, which is really useful when you need the food. They can be used to place one of your bandits (ehm… armed dwarves…) out of the turn order. However, the coolest thing is that you can consider them to be the jolly-jokers of the game! Have two fields, one grain, and want to play the Slash-and-burn action (add one twin tile and sow)? No problem, add the third field, convert two rubies into G/V and sow! Need to start breeding the animals? Convert rubies! Going for a crazy Beer parlor strategy? (2G=3 pts, instead of 2G=1 pts…, I've seen 27 (!!) points scored off of this tile at the end of the game - 18 grain converted to gold) Convert rubies into SINGLE field tiles, and sow grain every round like mad!

Sooo many people forget about this cool feature! Even if you convert them into stone or wood, it is worth as it can be the difference between you or someone else building that dwelling and growing first! After so many plays I have not seen a Ruby action space accumulating more than 3 rubies. So much valuable they are! And in most games we have no rubies left in our personal supplies at the end of the game! Learn how to use them wisely, do not be afraid to convert them into "less valuable items" like wood or stone, or even ore (!), if it makes you arm your dwarf with at least 7 ore late in the game, perform that much-needed furnish-a-cavern action and grab some juicy yellow tile for 10+ points, and get some bonus in addition.

Finally, let me give you a brief idea of where the high scores come from. In my games with 100+ scores, the Gold Points from pastures, mines, furnishing tiles and gold coins exceed 70 pts. I usually score 8 to 12 points from pastures, 25-35 pts from green furnishing tiles, mines and dwellings, 20-35 pts from yellow furnishing tiles, and 10+ gold coins. Then I score 15+ pts for animals, and the rest is G/V, dwarves, sometimes rubies. As you can see, it is essential to fill your farm with pastures and furnishing tiles, and for that you need more dwarves, and you need them asap. And you really really really need the YELLOW tiles. My scores of 20+ pts from yellow tiles generally come from 2 or 3 of those yellow tiles, not more! But make sure you grab that yellow tile before anyone else does. If I see you piling 20+ ore, I will go ahead and grab the Ore storage tile (1pt for every 2 ore) before you do! I can still take some 6-8 ore with one move, but you will not score 10+ pts you were going for.

There are multiple ways of how to play and win in Caverna, and that's why I love this game!! You can go all-armed-dwarves, you may ignore expeditions completely, you may choose to produce 30 grain, you may choose to "abuse" the Office room (I shared the 1st place once with this strategy, that was fun!! ), you may go for a 6-dwarves family, you may choose not to grow beyond 4, you can grab all the rubies in the game (greetings Milos! whistle ) etc. … and you can combo it all! Whatever path you choose, you always have a fair chance of winning the game! That's a balanced game! It really depends (oh, not again! ) on how you play the game. I haven't found any strategy that would be overpowered (not even the Guest room), the game doesn't suffer from the Agricola syndrome of "you have to do everything!", you can really play it the way you like, specialize as much as you like, and still win.

Play this game, play WITH this game, discover it yourself. There's no single path to victory. If you decide to follow the guidelines above, you may understand the game easier, get to high scores faster, and then it's up to you to experiment and find new ways to victory! We can discuss various strategies, all of them need to be played differently, but the basic principles still remain the same.

For anyone who kept reading up to this point, big THANK YOU!
I hope you've had as much fun reading as I had writing this guide. And I hope it will really help you to reach the 100 points soon!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice article. I agree with all of your observations save for needing 4 or more dwarves to win. I have used 3 dwarves score over 100 and win plenty and even been witness to a 2 dwarf victory [admittedly, he was so lucky]

I think 4 is the sweet spot and the couples room is the dwelling to do it with, since you can use the extra room for more yellow furnishings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!
Well, I have admitted in my OP that it is possible to win with only 3 dwarves if your opponents make some mistakes. When my group first started to play Caverna such victories were quite frequent. However, as we get more experience, no player with only 3 dwarves won the game. That's just my observation.

Anyway, you've just made me want to try to win with only 3 dwarves next time I play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the strategy changes at all when only using the "family game" boards?

We're still in the process of learning and introducing some new players to the game, so I think we might be using the basic boards for awhile.

One thing I have noticed is how powerful the brewing chamber is. I think that the player with it has won every game we have played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
snowren24 wrote:
Do you think the strategy changes at all when only using the "family game" boards?

We're still in the process of learning and introducing some new players to the game, so I think we might be using the basic boards for awhile.

One thing I have noticed is how powerful the brewing chamber is. I think that the player with it has won every game we have played so far.

No, I don't think the strategy is different when playing with the basic board setup. There are fewer furnishing tiles available and the scores may be a little lower, but the overall strategy is not any different.

I can't find any "Brewing chamber" in the game, but I suppose you mean the "Beer parlor" (2G = 4F or 3pts). I like that card a lot, but it's not an overpowered game winner at all. However, make sure use that tile correctly! We have played it wrong in our first few games, too.

First, make sure you only convert the grain in your personal supply. The grain that is still in the fields can NOT be converted! You can carry out the harvest in the final round and convert the harvested grain into points, but not the grain still left in the fields after this final harvest. Second, make sure the grain you convert into points will NOT be counted again in the "grain" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
After having played more 3-player and 4-player games, I'd like to add some thoughts about the 3 or 4 family members topic outlined by Charles.

There are different action-space-boards used in 3-player and 4-player games, and the fact is in the 4p games the material accumulates faster on the action spaces. Long story short - I have been very successful with only 3 family members in a 3p games, but I have never won a 4p game with only 3 dwarves.

It seems to me that in the 4p games (or 5p games) the 4th dwarf is extremely important to collect those resources on the action spaces. In addition, ore accumulates faster, too, and there's more competition for the expeditions. And with more players, there are more dwarfs in play and the turn order becomes quite important.

Spending an action to grab the starting player when you only have 3 dwarves can be very expensive. Not spending an action to grab the starting player and to continue going last in the turn order can also be very expensive. In such a situation the 4th dwarf proved to be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Henrique
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic is 10/10. Thank you for so much insight.

You are a lucky person to have that many games played. My group thought the game dragged for too long and despite playing it with my wife i have yet to put it in the table again with more ppl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you.
This game really takes about 30 mins per player, therefore I wouldn't play it with more than 5 players at all. Even with 4 players it takes about 90-120 mins.

What really helps in my group is that when anyone goes for expedition other players continue with their turns while the "expedition player" completes his selection of rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thanx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reynolds
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Let me add an observation from having played a 7p game, the action quality of the 4th, 5th, and 6th dwarves drops off like a rock with so many players. It's a more viable setting for 3 dwarves being my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FeynmanM wrote:
Let me add an observation from having played a 7p game, the action quality of the 4th, 5th, and 6th dwarves drops off like a rock with so many players. It's a more viable setting for 3 dwarves being my point.

If you are not big on rubies I bet it's pretty hard getting some action for a high level adventurer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Namn
msg tools
Quote:
Use some rubies to make this bandit skip the turn order and place him on the "Exploration" action space (4 loot items in one turn) ahead of everyone else

I have only played 1 game so far but the rubies only changes the order you may place your own dwarfes I believe? You can't go before another player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oskar_olw wrote:
Quote:
Use some rubies to make this bandit skip the turn order and place him on the "Exploration" action space (4 loot items in one turn) ahead of everyone else

I have only played 1 game so far but the rubies only changes the order you may place your own dwarfes I believe? You can't go before another player?

Exactly. It is only for rearranging your "personal" order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oskar_olw wrote:
Quote:

That's actually what the OP is saying.

He's suggesting that if you have a dwarf (bandit) that is a "heavily experienced looter (level 12+)", then you can pay rubies to allow him to skip ahead in your personal turn order (i.e. you can place him first instead of last). By moving him up in the ranks, this may allow you to place him on the "Exploration" action space before another player...not because you're skipping the other players, but because you paid rubies to place your strong disc 1st rather than waiting until you're placing your 5th disc. Of course, another player may still beat you to the "Exploration" space anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone give me some advice on early room purchases? I always play this aspect of games really badly and I end up getting rooms which appear not to work well together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle G wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on early room purchases? I always play this aspect of games really badly and I end up getting rooms which appear not to work well together.
The Guest Room ("either/or" becomes "and/or in either order") works very well to get more use out of certain spaces (especially the "Wish for Children" space).

Getting the Slaughtering Cave (+1 Food per animal slaughtered), Cooking Cave (1G=1V=5f) or Working Cave (feed 1 Dwarf with 1W or 1S or 2O) can greatly ease your food anxiety, thus leaving you more actions to improve your board. They will also help provide you with a strategy for the rest of the game, e.g., if you have the Slaughtering Cave you're going to naturally concentrate on animal husbandry, if you have the Cooking Cave you're going to naturally concentrate on agriculture, etc. I wouldn't recommend getting both the Slaughtering Cave and the Cooking Cave unless you're planning on exploding your family, because you should only need one for your food engine. (The Working Cave, unless you're really tight on resources, is never a bad buy, because that's almost like feeding one Dwarf for free.)

Dwellings: only target one of the special dwellings if it's going to help your strategy. For example, the Mixed Dwelling (5W,4S,4VP,1D + 1 pair of animals) won't do you any good if you don't need to extra storage space for animals, so while it's 1W+1S for 1VP, it might not be worth the investment if you have better things to do with the resources. The Couple Dwelling (8W,6S,5VP,2D) saves you one action and one Cavern space (over building two standard Dwellings) for the price of 1VP, so you should really only take that if you need to grow your family twice RIGHT NOW and can't spare the action (or the Expedition loot slot) to buy two Dwellings.

Yellows: In general, don't worry about getting yellow rooms until the last few rounds of the game, and then target rooms that reinforce the strategy you've already established.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Uncle G wrote:

My first room is usually a Dwelling because I want to grow my family asap. Occasionally I buy Stone Carver or Builder and then the Dwelling, and if I want to try something adventurous I buy the Breakfast room or Office room (and then the Dwelling). Those are my usual choices.

Don't buy too many green rooms, I usually buy one or two, not more, and at least one of them is a "feeding" room (Slaughtering cave, Cooking cave, Working cave, Mining cave, Breeding cave).

It's the yellow buildings that count!

P.S. … build Mines! Both ore and ruby mines. Combine with Mining cave and get Donkeys whistle Enjoy. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of dwarves you need to win is dependent on the number of players in the game. Fewer players mean you need more dwarves. Two dwarves can win in a seven player game, maybe even with six. I've won plenty of four and five player games with three dwarves. With two or three players you'll need at least four.

Fields aren't worth any points, nor is there any way to make them worth points. I'd much rather have all fenced in pastures on the green side. Not only are the pastures worth points they allow you to hold animals, which are also worth points. Much like Agricola, animals are easier than crops because they reproduce on their own without additional actions.

For early room purchases, your first two should always be a dwelling and a feeding mechanism. I like the mining cave, but there are plenty of ways to make food. Very often your feeding tile will determine your game strategy. If you're using the beer parlor, then you'll need to do a lot of planting. If you're using the slaughtering cave, you'll need to do a lot of breeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Agree, except for one minor point - I've played plenty of three player games and many times I won with three dwarves and even scored 100+ points. Three dwarves + Mining Cave and you don't really need to think about feeding at all.

And BTW, my opponents played really well in these games, scoring 90+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardinalle wrote:
Agree, except for one minor point - I've played plenty of three player games and many times I won with three dwarves and even scored 100+ points. Three dwarves + Mining Cave and you don't really need to think about feeding at all.

And BTW, my opponents played really well in these games, scoring 90+.

OK. I haven't played a lot of three player. Times I have it seemed like I needed the extra actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
Read all of that and pretty much agree with it all. It is pretty much what I always try and do now anyway, so I guess im pretty experienced at this game now cool

And I've breached the 100pts score many times, with 3p/2p/and 1p games! Really is all about maximising your points/food output each go. Thinking food early on, points at the end is always the way to go, just like in gric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
swfcdan wrote:
Read all of that and pretty much agree with it all. It is pretty much what I always try and do now anyway, so I guess im pretty experienced at this game now cool

And I've breached the 100pts score many times, with 3p/2p/and 1p games! Really is all about maximising your points/food output each go. Thinking food early on, points at the end is always the way to go, just like in gric.

Thanks for the feedback
I am starting to get the "samey" kind of feeling of this game, unfortunately. Every time I try to do something else I always lose. We always go for the same building tiles, the same yellow scoring tiles etc. I start to miss that "gric feeling" of countless cards combinations for every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this awesome review! I'm a big Agricola fan but I haven't had a chance to play Caverna yet.

Cardinalle wrote:
... a friend of mine who accumulated ALL 20 rubies in the game ...

My understanding of the rules was that nothing is limited except for Dwarf discs and stables. Meaning it would be impossible for one person to accumulate ALL the rubies, because technically there are infinitely many rubies in the supply. Not sure if this is what you were saying, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branislav Berec
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Max_Fischer wrote:
Thanks for this awesome review! I'm a big Agricola fan but I haven't had a chance to play Caverna yet.

Cardinalle wrote:
... a friend of mine who accumulated ALL 20 rubies in the game ...

My understanding of the rules was that nothing is limited except for Dwarf discs and stables. Meaning it would be impossible for one person to accumulate ALL the rubies, because technically there are infinitely many rubies in the supply. Not sure if this is what you were saying, though.

Of course there's "unlimited" number of resources, I simply meant that a friend of mine accumulated all the physical pieces in the game, which is quite rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for restoring my faith in this recent acquisition. I prevaricated for so long about purchasing Caverna; then took the plunge a few days ago.

Have read so many negative comments since then and was beginning to think I bought a white elephant.

Great to see there is a solid game in there for an experienced player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.