Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! Usually I am looking for a great co-op for my wife and I to play. In this case, I am looking for a game that we might be able to play with her parents.

Her father has some difficulty with his eyes, so anything that involves a lot of reading (especially small print) is out. My in-laws enjoy games like Dominoes and Skip-Bo and (somewhat) CatchPhrase. A card game like Uno or Skip-Bo or Flinch might be something they would try.

I know I am not giving much to go on here. We want something light - planning on your current turn is good, but having to look ahead several turns is likely a negative. Maybe just an interesting variant on the games they already like would work. Something that plays in 30-60 minutes.

I don't mind buying a game just to play with them that we do not play at any other time, as long as it is something that they like.

The Geek has come through for me before...any ideas on this one? I am willing to answer questions as best I can to help narrow it down more.

Thanks,

Mizerak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Dixit? Catchphrase with a difference!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko!

No one can resist the cuteness of the panda! Very little reading involved, and not super strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:
Dixit? Catchphrase with a difference!!

That might actually work well. We have been intrigued by this game anyway...might be time to pick it up.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hanabi and sit close to one another? I find its an accessible game, quick, and highly replayable. There isn't text per say, just numbers (think a standard poker deck). Just sit close enough that he can see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
Takenoko!

No one can resist the cuteness of the panda! Very little reading involved, and not super strategic.

I know there is a TableTop episode on this...maybe we will watch it and see if it would fit. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Although the text on the board is kinda small
No Thanks! Would probably be up there alley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
How about Hanabi and sit close to one another? I find its an accessible game, quick, and highly replayable. There isn't text per say, just numbers (think a standard poker deck). Just sit close enough that he can see it.

We have Hanabi...and bringing that could be a good idea. They might deliberately mess up the table talk (my father-in-law likes to, shall we say, "bend the rules" sometimes to get an advantage), but it could be a fun time regardless.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:
Ticket to Ride Although the text on the board is kinda small
No Thanks! Would probably be up there alley

Ticket To Ride we have, and bringing that could be a good idea too! Had not thought of that. No Thanks! is one that I liked, but my wife was not so much into it the one time we got into a game with other players.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at Word on the Street

(we only use the timer to choose our word, not for moving tiles as well - but, you can house rulle it after trying both ways. I also created a way to play it as a co-op.)

Parade is an interesting card game. kinda light/quick

No Thanks! also easy/light - but a real hoot for 2-3 plays.

Bohnanza classic for good reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops - got beat on No Thanks while typing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
take a look at Word on the Street

(we only use the timer to choose our word, not for moving tiles as well - but, you can house rulle it after trying both ways. I also created a way to play it as a co-op.)

Wow...I like it when people suggest games that we have! We have WotS, and enjoy it as a party game. What is your co-op variant? I am intrigued.

Never heard of Parade or Bohnanza, but I will look into them.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if we could get a hold of Parade or Bohnanza before tomorrow (Did I mention we were visiting with the in-laws this weekend? Oops), unless the FLGS has them. Parade looks interesting...Bohnanza I am not sure about.

Cool suggestions, though...I knew the Geek would not let me down :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Yacullo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size of the tiles in Qwirkle should be good as well, the colors and shapes would be big enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LenYJr wrote:
The size of the tiles in Qwirkle should be good as well, the colors and shapes would be big enough

You're right! We watched the TableTop episode on this, and it could be a good one too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DyslexicDan wrote:
I’m assuming you already considered it but on the off chance that you didn’t Carcassonne plays like Dominoes and doesn't need a lot of thinking or strategy. There is no text to read, score keeping can be done by one person, there is no card to keep track of or any thing to keep secret from other players.

Carcassonne does not take strategy? I always assumed that it did, but if it is lighter than that, it could work. Thanks! I have been wanting to have an excuse to add it to the collection anyway. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions:

Rise of Augustus

Timeline: Inventions (or any other in the timeline or card line series, based on their preferred subject matter)

Fauna

Or

Lost Cities: The Board Game (not sure if it's still available, but this might be the best choice on the list if they like card games, but want a light board game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
DyslexicDan wrote:
I’m assuming you already considered it but on the off chance that you didn’t Carcassonne plays like Dominoes and doesn't need a lot of thinking or strategy. There is no text to read, score keeping can be done by one person, there is no card to keep track of or any thing to keep secret from other players.

Carcassonne does not take strategy? I always assumed that it did, but if it is lighter than that, it could work. Thanks! I have been wanting to have an excuse to add it to the collection anyway. :-)

There isn't a ton of strategy. It's hard to do too much long term planning, since you're pulling just one tile each turn. It becomes less strategic with more players. The most strategic/complicated part are the farmers, and you could leave that out for the first (or all) plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto has seemed to work real well for me as a step up in tactical "thinkiness" for the uno and phase 10 crowd. Also, no text to read, just cards with big bright colors, so it works from that perspective as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to say Hanabi.
Certainly Forbidden Island should work, right?

For (light) competitive options:
For Sale
Piece o' Cake
Hey, That's My Fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding No Thanks and Augustus.

If you want to stay with card games, 6 nimmt! is a solid choice, and, with the right crowd, so is The Dwarf King.

Some obvious choices:
-King of Tokyo
-For Sale, or Felicity: The Cat in the Sack
-I've had a lot of success getting my parents to try Dice Town, but it might be pushing it a bit with the special effect cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We find Sequence is a lot of fun. Play cards to try to get 5 counters in a row. Serious gamers can find it a bit random, but it's excellent as something fast and fun, requiring a small thought, but not too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Category 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seconding Dixit, Hanabi, Bohnanza, Qwrikle and Phase 10.

Bohnanza probably is the furthest apart from the reference point but it's a very easy, highly engaging game.

If normal playing cards are ok for her father then you might also be interested in 6 nimmt!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.