Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game good enough to buy just for blitz scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I am afraid if I will have enough time to play full scenarios (assuming it takes 3-4 hours for two players).

How good are the blitz scenarios compared to full scenarios? Also, assuming you get experienced with this game, how long would "shortest" full scenario take? and which one is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo or multi? Because I can blow through the standard solo conquest in under 2 hours easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something you should consider is asking this same question in the recommendations forum. When you ask subjective questions in the game's forum, you will likely get biased answers since most people who subscribe to a game are fsnstics of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Have the game over a year now, have yet to do a blitz...just love the scenarios enough. 2-3 hours per game. solo.

If you are asking if there is a lot of game here, there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitz or not, the game takes time, especially when you are learning, which will probably be for more games than you'd expect.

If you aren't able to put in 3-5 hours each game until you pick up the flow and fully internalise all the rules, then knowing that you might be able to finish games in 2 hours somewhere down the line probably won't help.

On the other, one of the best games ever. Your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your time is limited, then ideally, you will have a place to set up the game where you can leave it and come back to finish over a couple of sessions. This works especially well in solo play. It also frees you from the restriction of only playing the shorter scenarios. I've never played blitz (single or multi-player) because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The other option is to leave the game setup and play over multiple days. I know people that do that, but of course that requires a space with no cats.

"I'm sure I ended the day on that hill over there, but now my playing piece seems to be under the fridge"
- Gaming with cats, page 178
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With others, I've played blitz many times because we only have about two hours. I think blitz is harder, because you don't have as much time to build up your character.

But yes, it is good enough in my opinion. Also, you can add the blitz rules to pretty most any scenario that is six rounds (since blitz brings that down to four). Also, if playing with others, the Conquer and Hold scenarios aren't that long so long as everyone knows how to play.

As others have said, though, the game will take longer in the beginning as you're learning the game. I wouldn't shortcut the learning, or else the rules will seem massive and that will really slow you down later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
The other option is to leave the game setup and play over multiple days. I know people that do that, but of course that requires a space with no cats.

"I'm sure I ended the day on that hill over there, but now my playing piece seems to be under the fridge"
- Gaming with cats, page 178

Some cats are good with Mage Knight - here is Electron protecting the 4 player solo game from his brother and sisters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moyer-Horner
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Electron is a remarkable cat. He would be a welcome MK defender in my house. My cats clearly belong on pg. 178 of "Gaming with cats"; they're well known for slapping orcs, werewolves, ice mages, Wolfhawk, etc., and especially the mighty Volkare, around the room with wild bursts and murderous intent.

I'm so jealous. The game is just so easy for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rojas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is just great for any scenario, i actually do what most users here pointed: leave it for some days as you play (just like chess) and THEN it actually helps you think clearer!

Go get it I'd say...

-tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played blitz scenatios so far blush
Still had a blast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Chou
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Ben that your initial games are going to take you 3-5 hours, no matter what scenarios you play. I also agree that Blitz scenarios will tend to be harder, so if completing scenarios is your thing, you'll only get more frustrated playing those over the full length scenarios.

I think that Druid Nights and Mines Liberation can all be relatively short, especially since they are 4 round games. All co-op games tend to take significantly longer for me due to the table talk.

You can do what many of us on these boards do: play enough games live to understand the rules, then move over to play-by-forum or play-by-email, where you can play 1-2 turns per day without having any pieces crowding your space! I even do this with friends that live a few miles away now since getting a solid 3 hours consistently is tough, but 10-15 minutes over email is relatively easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.