Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently came across a Kickstarter for a game that sounded interesting and had a theme that I loved. But the descriptions of the project and pledge levels were awkwardly written, with numerous grammatical errors and odd expressions that suggest that the writer is not a native English speaker (despite the Kickstarter being based in an English-speaking country, and the game being published in English).

Obviously, this raises some concerns about the game itself: will the rulebook sound equally unprofessional? I personally would not back a game whose Kickstarter page seemed like it had never been proofread by a native speaker, not that I tend to back games on Kickstarter anyway.

But I think this game has a great concept, and I'd like to offer some sort of input on how to improve the Kickstarter page. Is there any possible way that this could end well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
absolutely! sounds like you're coming from a good place... just convey that same tone when you email the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in that situation a few times, and usually got a quick response from the project creator by using the "Ask a question" link at the bottom of the campaign.

The problem with this approach (which is maybe a benefit in disguise?) is that it pushes me to say "I'm curious how finished the rulebook is, because I found it hard to follow in its current form" instead of "This is a mess, nobody will be able to read it". That's easier for an oblivious project creator to wave off. On the other hand, if they dismiss my question ("Try reading it again, most of my playtesters dont have any porblem with it LOL") then I have my answer about whether to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just send them a note explaining your thoughts via KS. If they respond poorly then ignore them and don't bother backing their projects. A good designer who is worth backing will take the criticism well, even if it isn't very well worded. Additionally a good designer craves criticism so unsolicited isn't something to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your intentions are good and therefore I say just go for it. If anything they will probably appreciate the help. If not, don't lose any sleep over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is close to ending without meeting the funding goal, I would wait. Most project managers are doing everything they can but it can simply be too late. Wait for the "closing down" update where they will provide their next plan of action, then if you think your advice will help, send them an email/message.

It's very rare that there's anything you can do to have a sudden turnaround. And most changes would be better represented in a full relaunch. The beginning of a Kickstarter is absolutely crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input! I think I'll go ahead and send a message, at some point. The idea about waiting until the end when they'll be more receptive is a good one. The campaign is still in its early days, but it doesn't seem to have any hope of funding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.