Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Shelton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting into dust, and was wondering if anyone can help me understand what differences there are between the FFG revised rules and the new v2.0 rules. So far the only thing to jump out is the dice having extra sides, so I'm sure there are rules to use the army symbol and shield. Anything else that's interesting? I'm also assuming that old minis are still usable going forward, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sighting rules are different (no longer is LOS from centerpoint to centerpoint- no more centerpoints, in fact).

Vehicles get saves, and infantry get either terrain or infantry saves.

Units move roughly twice as fast.

Weapons attack with more dice than previously.

Card stats for all units are completely reworked/different...the new cards will be released in a couple months.

You can download the 2nd ed rules for free at www.dust-tactics.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
V2 is almost a different game altogether.

What V2 changes over V1:
- LOS rules more difficult to play with, but more realistic (supposedly).
- Ranges of guns and unit movement are increased. They've been doubled in most cases and for air units, they have the equivalent of being able to move anywhere on the board.
- Most guns have significantly increased number of dices for an attack. Expect to throw over 16 dices for regular infantry attacks...
- Infantry units can now attack vehicles in melee regardless of the weapons they carry.
- Vehicles now have facing rules.
- Abilities and weapons effects have changed.
- The dices have changed. They are now smaller and have 3 symbols instead of 1 and blanks. They "supposedly" make more sense (according to the publisher).
- Cover rules have been changed. No longer hard VS soft cover. Infantry now gets cover everywhere on the board and vehicles can also get cover.
- The rules for reactive fire has changed. It's now much more easy to achieve.

Reception of the new ruleset has been "mixed" to say the least. The new ruleset brings more problems than it solves and it's a different game altogether rather than an evolution of the first version.

I personally hate most of the changes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also has to be mentioned that all of the updated cards are not available yet. Me personally, will remain on the V1 ruleset until everything is available... at least.

In addition to what Skiprydell mentioned above, there was also a change to some unit abilities like jump for example.

Yes, new cards for the old minis will be coming out, as well as new units.
New units will only be containing V2 ruleset cards though.

EDIT: I too am not super fond of the new rules but have not tried them yet.
I just want the quick, bloody battles to continue in an easy way. I taught friends the V1 ruleset in 30 minutes, we shall see about V2 ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Shelton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, one of the things that drew me to Dust was the rules didn't seem too complex. The new v2.0 rules seem to "fix" that, not in a good way from what I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand why some aren't crazy about the changes, but count me as among those who are excited to try the new edition. I disagree with those who say it's a whole new game. The basic structure is pretty much the same. Yes, LOS and cover are different, along with some abilities and a few other elements, but having read through through the rules several times, they don't seem more complex to me, just different.

Sure, there are a few changes I could do without (more dice, for example), but there are some needed changes (facing, passing, reactions, etc.) that will greatly improve the game.

At the end of the day, it remains the same relatively simple, fast-playing, and deadly game it was before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics/Warfare/Battlefield
revised core/v. 2

Is there a document explaining all of the different versions and forks of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
revised core/v. 2

Is there a document explaining all of the different versions and forks of this game?

There's probably something somewhere, but it's not as complicated as you might think.

Dust Tactics V.1 is now being replaced by V.2 (though you can certainly continue to play the V.1 rules from the Revised Core Set if you like). There are some changes between the two, but if you know V.1, it's pretty easy to make the jumpt to V.2.

Battlefield is just a variant of Dust Tactics V.2 that doesn't use a gridded surface. It uses the same unit stats and rules as V.2 with a few adjustments to account for the lack of a grid.

Dust Warfare is a different game altogether. There are some similarities to Dust Tactics, but it is closer to other traditional table-top games, though more streamlined and fast-playing compared to many titles (e.g. 40K). The biggest differences with DT are the addition of an extra "Command Phase" before the main activation phase and the fact that each side activates all of its units at once instead of alternating unit activations like in DT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
revised core/v. 2

Not that i know of.

Warfare is a completely different game. Check this review that explains the differences with Tactics V1:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/799517/dust-warfare-from-a-b...

Battlefield is V2 without the grid board and a few minor additional rules.

V2 is the newer edition of V1 (Revised core set). There are substantial differences between the two rulesets and many changes made to unit stats as well.
(To me and many others, V2 is a worse game than V1 by far. Your opinion may vary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.