Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my best friends are getting married and they asked me for games for their wedding (they asked specifically - best thing ever!!).

I was originally going to go with an Asian theme since I originally got to know the bride on a study abroad trip that spent time in China and Japan. They registered for TTR: Asia map pack. I was also considering Takenoko, Tsuro, and Hanabi (I'll probably get them Hanabi no matter what).

Then I started thinking, the groom is really into French culture, he spent some time in France and is a near-fluent French speaker, maybe I should look into games with that theme to balance things out.

But nothing was coming to me! I couldn't think of anything except Village, which I'm not even sure is really French and which is gonna be too heavy anyway.

Are there good games out there that I'm just missing? A quick search of the forum didn't yield much.

Games they both love:
Pandemic
Coup
TTR
Resistance

Features I'm looking for:
French or Parisian theme, obviously
Good with 2 players
Not too heavy/long
Somewhat easy to learn (I'm unlikely to be able to just teach them)
Easy to find on Amazon is a plus

Any suggestions? Or should I stick with an Asian theme?

EDIT: No sooner did I post this than I thought of The Castles of Burgundy. I've heard that this isn't the greatest with 2, and it also might be a bit heavy for the bride. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleepers
Paris Connection

and not to forget Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Notre Dame
Troyes

Also, Castles of Burgundy is generally agreed to be absolutely best with 2 players. It's not that heavy of a game either. My wife and 9 year old daughter like it a lot.

Ah, Notre Dame, yes. I haven't played it but I love Feld. Hadn't considered Troyes either.

My only concern with these games is that the barrier to entry might be too high. They're moving away a month after the wedding and I'm concerned that if I'm not there to make sure that something hits the table, it may not get played unless is really accessible in either its ruleset or theme. I fear these could be that sort of game that they'd love if I taught them but wouldn't be able to get into on their own.

Castles deserves a look though, it's a bit shorter than the others and I would be really motivated to play it in that first month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Café Melange is set in vienna but "feels" a bit french with the whole intellentuals meeting in the cafe to have discussion

Paris Paris is set in paris

Cardline: Globetrotter is by a french company

The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet is by a french company and is about a famous french children's book.

Carcassonne: The City is set in france and I think this version is the best in the series

Notre Dame is an excellent game but it has rats as an important mechanism, not sure that's good for a wedding present somehow, but you know your friends better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Carcassonne! I'd literally never thought about the fact that it's set in France. In fact, they both love it and even registered for it.

The others I hadn't heard of but look interesting; do you know if there is a good 2 player variant for Paris Connection though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
Café Melange is set in vienna but "feels" a bit french with the whole intellentuals meeting in the cafe to have discussion

The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet is by a french company and is about a famous french children's book.

Carcassonne: The City is set in france and I think this version is the best in the series

Notre Dame is an excellent game but it has rats as an important mechanism, not sure that's good for a wedding present somehow, but you know your friends better

Cafe Melange looks so cool! I'd never heard of it, but it seems perfect!! They are both extremely into literature and philosophy and the art is just them all over. But...it seems so hard to find! Not on Amazon or CSI, only one listing on BGG...from Italy! cry

The others look alright (The City is definitely worth considering if I go the Carc route) but everything has to compare to Cafe Melange now, and man that one is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
these aren't specifically french but do use french artists

Games of Art
Pastiche
Mondriaan 2020

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dasmrh wrote:
hippiephysicschick wrote:

Cafe Melange looks so cool! I'd never heard of it, but it seems perfect!! They are both extremely into literature and philosophy and the art is just them all over. But...it seems so hard to find! Not on Amazon or CSI, only one listing on BGG...from Italy! cry

The others look alright (The City is definitely worth considering if I go the Carc route) but everything has to compare to Cafe Melange now, and man that one is great.

game surplus has it, that where I got my copy. They only made like 900 copies so it's hard to find. very beautiful game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great suggestions so far! I'm looking into Game Surplus and I love the look of the Winter Carc!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Rococo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dasmrh wrote:

EDIT: No sooner did I post this than I thought of The Castles of Burgundy. I've heard that this isn't the greatest with 2, and it also might be a bit heavy for the bride. Thoughts?

Where did you hear this? It's best with 2 according to almost everybody. Also, I think it is simple enough to learn--the first game can be overwhelming with all the different tiles, but the player boards are very helpful in remembering what things do.

I would also suggest Le Havre for the theme, but that does get toward the heavier end of things.

Guillotine is light and French Revolution themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Guillotine is light and French Revolution themed.

I'm not sure what that would say as a wedding present! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Gamien wrote:

A beautiful game but not that good imo. Check out Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy where you each play a French nobleman or woman. Over the course of four generations you have to build your family up through the best marriage alliances. It is a mid-weight game that is easy to learn as it is very logical to play due to the mechanics mirroring the theme very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Taillefer
Canada
La Broquerie West
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you expand your reach just a bit, you could also look into Bruxelles 1893 and Bruges. I know they're both belgian cities/themes but that's close. They're both good looking games that don't seem to be too heavy although I have never played either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Check out Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy where you each play a French nobleman or woman. Over the course of four generations you have to build your family up through the best marriage alliances. It is a mid-weight game that is easy to learn as it is very logical to play due to the mechanics mirroring the theme very well.

Great game, but it isn't the easiest game. If you don't have much boardgame experience this might be to complex.

ps. This game used to be called Nobles of Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games that give me that feel are:

Legacy:The Testament of Duke decrecy (about French aristocratic family planning). More fun than it sounds.

Also a light game that evokes that same feel would be mascarade.

+1 to castles of burgundy, carcassonne and Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
the_vinman wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
Check out Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy where you each play a French nobleman or woman. Over the course of four generations you have to build your family up through the best marriage alliances. It is a mid-weight game that is easy to learn as it is very logical to play due to the mechanics mirroring the theme very well.

Great game, but it isn't the easiest game. If you don't have much boardgame experience this might be to complex.

ps. This game used to be called Nobles of Paris.

True, I had forgotten about that. It is not that difficult either because how logical the gameplay is. I have taught it to plenty of beginners who have all gotten it quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dasmrh wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Carcassonne! I'd literally never thought about the fact that it's set in France. In fact, they both love it and even registered for it.

The others I hadn't heard of but look interesting; do you know if there is a good 2 player variant for Paris Connection though?

There are some 2 player variatins metioned in the forums, but I have no expierince how good those are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Have you thought about Louis XIV? I find the dry theme and artwork very endearing. The gameplay is tense and interesting while not being overly complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.