Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pleasantly surprised to find Village in a Box show up in time for my weekly Tuesday game night. Even more surprised to learn the rules were nicely succinct and easy to learn. After a first play, which we all enjoyed, I had a few questions:

1) One of my OCD friends could not imagine that the paths and roads on the cards did not have to align. Did I miss something in the rules, I believe it is never stated that they must align.

2) If you keep cards for the next round, do you still (as I interpreted the rules) draw six new cards? So you could have as many as eight new cards in your hand, right?

3) When you play an attack card (Raiders, for example) does it happen immediately? Also, for Raiders, does it only steal the specific Water card, or can you take any card with Water as a type? And I assume "unused" means not being used as a prerequisite, right?

Thanks for this nice surprise of a game. Really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter jackson
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Ezra--glad to hear you enjoyed ViaB!

1) The roads are there as a visual assist, and have no function or impact on game play. However, to please your OCD friend, you can point out that each card is in fact able to connect to all of its requirements, so you can "build" a visually consistent village, if you like.

2) You got it! Every turn always gives you six new cards. Note that the Granary allows you to hold an extra card between rounds, and the Great Hall allows you to draw an extra card. So really, if you had a Granary and held 3 cards between rounds--and built the Great Hall, and drew 7 new cards--you could hold as many as 10 cards...

3) Both the Raider & Thief are intended to be immediate. The Raider can only steal the basic Water resource card, and--as you said--you can only steal it as you play the card. Sometimes there are no unused Water cards on the table, so I wind up playing the Raider just for the point, without stealing anyone's Water card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Noel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a few questions myself, mostly about order of operations.

1) With the Warlord and the Raider, when do they're abilities get used? For example, the Warlord says he's destroying a woods right when the other player is playing a lodge. Which happens? Can the Warlord say "Wait, no, you can't play that lodge, I'm killing that woods," or can the opponent say "Wait, no, you can't destroy my woods, I'm playing a lodge?" The same thing occurred with the raider and a water card in our games.

2) Can the Princess and the thief be used to un-end a game? Let's say Player 1 just hit 20 points, and the Princess reveals herself to take out his highest point card. Is the game still over, or does play continue because someone no longer has 20 points? We ruled that the game kept going the various times she did that to me.

3) With the Princess again, can she choose a specific, different card from each player (e.g. A farm from player 1, a lodge from player 2, etc.), or choose one type of card and each player, if they have it, must give it up from their infrastructure (e.g. I choose hills. Anyone who has a hills must give one to me)?

4) A clarification on the thief. Can the person getting -3 points change, or is it stuck once played?

5) Finally, if the Bishop plays the thief or the raider on a different player, who decides who gets hosed? The Bishop, or the new owner of the thief/raider?

I hope these questions weren't answered elsewhere and I missed them. Also, in case it's not obvious from the large number of questions, we loved the game and played it... a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter jackson
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin! I'm so glad you're enjoying ViaB! Thanks for bringing these things up--they're all things that need to be clarified, so it's a great list. Let me try to expand on the questions you asked.

1) It's different for each card. The Raider is immediate, and the Warlord is between rounds. The idea with the Raider is that it steals a Water card as soon as the Raider card is played. So if your hapless opponent is still pondering a move and you swoop in, you can grab a water. Thinking about it, I can see how this could lead to some sticky situations if your opponent is in the process of building something. Let me think about a resolution process. For the Warlord, I intended for him to act at the end of each round after everyone has discarded down to 2 cards, but before the new cards are handed out.

2) Yes. The -3 points from Thief should be counted when deciding whether you have 20 points or not. And the Princess can ruin everything. Literally, everything. That card sucks (unless you have it).

3) Yes again. Imagine the princess daintily going through the list of who owns what in her father's kingdom, deciding what plots of land to take for herself as if she's picking out pastries. A cinnamon thingy here, a chocolate thingy there...that woman is a legitimate threat to the kingdom.

4) I play it's stuck. The -3 points associated with the Thief card were intended to be something you assign immediately and permanently. When the game was reviewed by Gamer's Remorse, the guys there decided to play with the Thief being something you may re-assign over the course of the game. I think that's a decent house rule, but it's something you'd have to decide before getting into the game. I play with the Thief as a permanent assignment, as I like the "betting who will be my most challenging opponent" aspect of that card.

5) The new owner chooses the victim. Once the Bishop gives away a card, he has no connection to it at all--he doesn't get the points, can't use the card in any way, etc. So it goes with the Thief & Raider cards too...those can be costly gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Stalley
Canada
flag msg tools
I was also thrilled to get my (huge) box in time for new game night at my FLGS. I took all the games down and played with a few new people. We enjoyed, but there were some questions I couldn't answer.

1) Are the requirements just to be there, or do you have to layer the cards on each other? As in, if you've built a granary, must the granary card be layered on the hills and farms cards, or just be associated with?

2) Scoring. Do you score from all cards in your village, or just from the cards on the top level? So, if you have a granary (again) do you score the granary, or the granary and farm on which the granary is built?

Thanks very much for a great game, and looking forward to your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter jackson
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Christian!

1) You don't need to lay out the tiles in any particular manner, as long as you keep track of what cards have been used as a requirement.

Recall that each card can be used as a requirement only once (if a Field is used to build a Farm, you'll need a second Field to build a second Farm, etc.), but as long as you're keeping track of what's used and what's open, the placement of cards is completely unrestricted.

2) Score every card in your village.

Some cards make this explicit: for example, if you build the Barracks, you get an extra point for every Huts card in your village. This means you'll get 2 points for each Huts card, overall. Scoring every card in your village, you should get 19 points total for a complete Fortress, and 20 points for a complete Temple.

Glad you're enjoying ViaB, and hope this clarifies your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Stalley
Canada
flag msg tools
Absolutely, thanks very much for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this a few times and always seem to be confused about the scoring. What is the "village" exactly? Is it everything that you've built or laid out? If I've built a Temple and it adds up to 20 points, is that it? Or do I add in the Lodge, Farms, Gates and other buildings? What stops someone from laying out 20 Huts and winning with the crappiest village ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter jackson
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
We've played this a few times and always seem to be confused about the scoring. What is the "village" exactly? Is it everything that you've built or laid out?

Yep. The idea is that the game ends at the end of the turn--so you could cross the 20 point line, and keep building as much as possible. Your final score could be anything from 20 upwards, depending on what you're able to build on that last turn.

With all the add-ons, I actually have found it more enjoyable to play to 30 points. It makes the game about 5 minutes longer on average, but you get to put together more of the advanced buildings and follow some of the more interesting paths on the tech tree.

As for the crappiest village ever--haha, I found that amusing. Yeah, I suppose you could just build 20 huts if you can magically acquire them all. However, the "points per card" value of the more advanced cards give them significantly better value than the low-level cards. For example, a lodge (2 points) uses a woods (0 points) and a hut (1 point), giving you a total of 3 points for 3 cards--1 to 1. The shepherd (3 points) uses the lodge and a hills (0 points), giving you 6 points for 5 cards--a little better than 1 to 1. And the market (5 points) uses the shepherd and adds a field (0 points) and a road (1 point), giving you overall 12 points for 8 cards--1.33 to 1.

The "points per card" increases with the more complex cards; I spent a considerable amount of effort balancing the points against the difficulty of putting together each card. So while yes, it's probably possible to build up a winning village with a lot of low-level cards, it's statistically unlikely that you'll win with that approach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.