The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I missing something ?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
I bought the Core Game some weeks ago - due mainly to my liking of Card Games, Tolkien, and strategy.

I like games that challenge me. Thick rule books are not a problem.

I use Vassal often when exploring/learning new games.

My few play-throughs of LotR LCG to date have so far been perplexing - and I'm needing some feedback and comments.

And I do know that this game is difficult for new players to get into.

Here's a typical example of what using transpires within a turn or two.

Today I loaded "Into the Pit" via Vassal. At Set up, I pulled a 7 threat location into Staging. So, first turn, there was no point Questing as I could only muster 6, or 7 if I spent and played an attachment. So I don't Quest. But the Encounter deck adds another location - a 1 threat, with the addendum that this card adds +1 threat to each DARK location. So now the staging area threat is 8. And from now on, I'm facing an ever increasing threat level, with no chance of ever getting a Quest level high enough to score. And I can't target the current location itself as it's the East Gate and immune.

Am I missing something, or must my deck be super tuned?

Edit: total staging threat level of 10 by the second turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Setup: Search the encounter deck for East-gate and Cave Torch. Put East-gate into play as the active location..."

So with EG the active location, it doesn't contribute any threat in the staging area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Journey Into the Pit? That's a Dwarrowdelf Saga adventure. I wouldn't start there, so yes, some more advanced deck building is necessary against later releases.

One thing to remember: There is a travel phase which lets you move a location out of the staging area. This will make it the active location and take its threat out of the equation. As the previous poster said, it starts that way, so that should help right off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup....East Gate is your active location . It's threat is not counted against you. The area of the game that contributes threat against questing is the 'Staging Area'

1A Setup: Search the encounter deck for East-gate and Cave Torch. Put East-gate into play as the active location, and have the first player attach Cave Torch to a hero of his choice. Set First Hall and Bridge of Khazad-dum aside, out of play. Shuffle the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
No, East Gate is my active location. But I have two other locations in Staging, one 7 threat, the other 1 threat, with a +1 threat attached to each, making a 10 threat Staging.

So that's there in staging, and I'm still having to get 7 ( I think) progress tokens on the east gate PURELY by questing. All the while, staging is increasing!

Or have I completely misunderstood something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
No, East Gate is my active location. But I have two other locations in Staging, one 7 threat

Well, for one, there is no such location, other than East-gate in that quest. There is a Threat 4 and a Threat 5, latter is clearable by its own Action, plus you have the Cave Torch too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Cave Torch can help you clear out certain locations if they're giving you trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this scenario yet, but OUCH! a 7 Threat Location (!!!) wow.

But yes, each turn a new Encounter card is drawn for each player so the staging area threat level is ever increasing, so you have to do your best to removed cards from the staging area.

Looking at this scenario's Stage 1A card and the East-Gate card, Rauli is right.
The setup has you put the East Gate as the Active Location--not the Staging Area--so its Threat level doesn't count.

But say for instance there is more than 1 East Gate card and it does end up in your Staging Area. The card text reads "Immune to card effects." That means you can't play effects on it. You can still move the East Gate from the Staging Area to the Active Location as normal part of play if the space is open.

What cards do you have in the Staging Area?
I'm looking through the Encounter cards for this scenario on cardgamedb.com, and I see only 1 Location with a Threat of 7, the East Gate, and there is only 1 copy of the card in the deck.

Also, there is always a point to committing characters to Questing unless you want to keep your character ready for other actions like combat, because whatever Staging area Threat level you don't have enough Willpower to match, has to be added to your player Threat level. Once your Threat level hits 50, you've lost the game. So even if you don't have enough Willpower to match the Staging area Threat, you'll be able to reduce the amount of Threat added to your Threat counter.

Besides normal successful Questing, there are other ways to put progress onto Locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
At Set up, I pulled a 7 threat location into Staging. So, first turn, there was no point Questing as I could only muster 6, or 7 if I spent and played an attachment. So I don't Quest. But the Encounter deck adds another location - a 1 threat, with the addendum that this card adds +1 threat to each DARK location. So now the staging area threat is 8. And from now on, I'm facing an ever increasing threat level, with no chance of ever getting a Quest level high enough to score.

You always have to quest, even if you can't muster enough willpower to overcome the staging area. The staging area contributes it's threat whether you quest or not. So in the above scenario if you didn't quest your threat would then be increased by 8.

Masonstone wrote:
No, East Gate is my active location. But I have two other locations in Staging, one 7 threat, the other 1 threat, with a +1 threat attached to each, making a 10 threat Staging.

I'm looking at Into the Pit now and unless I'm missing something I think East Gate is the only 7 threat location in the deck, and it should never be in your staging area as it starts as the active location, and therefore as previously mentioned wouldn't be contributing any threat.

Don't forget you can use the Cave Torch to help get rid of Dark locations in the staging area. It would immediately burn away that Branching Paths that's increasing all the dark locations.

As a newer player one thing that might help is to watch some of the playthroughs available on Youtube. This one in particular might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r18tF5jOYOM&list=PLr278B6bpw...

Edit: Totally ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I think you may be misremembering it since there is no other 7 Threat location other than East-gate, at least for that adventure.

Also as a previous poster said, you probably need a better deck to beat this adventure. The starting decks are not very good. It's probably possible to get through it with Core cards only, but you would still need to do some serious deckbuilding.

I would start with playing the adventure "Flies and Spiders" since it is much easier and can be beaten with some of the starter decks as is.

Edit: Oops, I meant to say attempting "Passage Through Mirkwood" instead of "Flies and Spiders". Flies and Spiders is an Adventure in one of the Hobbit Saga packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Sorry, I checked it again - yes, my cards in the staging area are a 5 threat, (not a 7), then an 1 with a +1 to both as DARK.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I do need to keep at this and get to understand some of the particular cards and abilities better, before letting my "urrgggh" take over !!!

I'll get back to the Prancing Pony and have a few beers and a good sleep, and see what the morrow in Bree has in store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Youngren
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
So, first turn, there was no point Questing as I could only muster 6, or 7 if I spent and played an attachment. So I don't Quest.

Three things in addition to the other comments:
1. It's not uncommon to be unable to push past the threat in the staging area on the first turn. In many quests (Journey Along The Anduin, for instance), the first turn is a crucial turn, and you may get nailed on it. Don't lose heart. It happens.

2. Remember, unsuccessful questing raises your threat. Did you raise your threat by 7 after not questing? Typically, even if you can't push past the threat in the staging area, you'll still want to quest, to avoid unnecessary threat gain.

3. Keep playing the game! I've been a board gamer for a decade, and only got into LOTR LCG recently. Now, it's my favorite game, and far and away the most thematically fulfilling of any game I've played. I feel confident saying you'll hit a point later on where you'll be thankful the game is difficult. It keeps things from getting stale once you've mastered gameplay. Hang in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Into the Pit can be a very mean quest, even if you remember and adhere to all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The LOTR LCG finally opened up for me once I figured out it was OK to fail questing on turn 1.

I used to flip over 8 threat (or whatever) compared to the 6 Willpower I quested with and then get frustrated because I was "already falling behind" and assumed things would only snowball in the Encounter Deck's favor.

But the truth is that the opposite is more often the case. By turns 2-3 you'll generally have stabilized and gotten the staging area threats under control.

It isn't ideal, but it's totally normal to fail questing turn 1 in some scenarios.

Also, as others have said, if you didn't quest at all, you should have raised your threat meter significantly. You need to quest, even if you're sure you'll fail, to avoid a massive threat dial increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.